Have we been punching above our weight?

Parky

there is some good constructive comments in this thread, in particular  comments about the current board and 0wners

Its not like you not to pass comments on this particular angle ? You usually have opinons on this

I'm bored with it so haven't bothered, it's not as if anything has been said for the first time either.

I don't think we've been punching above our weight, no.

The problem for us is though, that Spurs, Everton & Aston Villa are finally starting to punch their own weight in the Premiership, and Man City, Portsmouth & Blackburn are punching well above theirs.

without a shadow of doubt the best analysis so far

with the addendum that we're headed towards taking the place of the aforementioned clubs and punching below our weight, we'd better be careful 'cause look how long it took them to drag themselves back

Spurs, Everton and Villa ? ALL THREE of those clubs have had genuine real trophy winning success in the last 40 years since we did anything at all, and ALL THREE of those clubs were above us for the vast majority of this time. Its only recent history which has seen us get above those clubs for most of the time. I like some of your posts mate, but you have this the wrong way round I'm afraid.

This is true, but NONE of those clubs have matched us for support since SJP was redeveloped after the club was taken over by SJH in the early 90s - and NONE of them would match us now IF we got back into the Top 4 and somehow increased the size of SJP OR built another stadium...

IF being the operative word. I am abviously aware like yourself that the old board managed to finally get the ground re-developed after 80 years of bungling by previous regimes. Those clubs have only fallen further behind us - in ground capacity terms - since expanding the stadium 10 years ago, a move contributing hugely to our "debts" that many people slate, presumably because they think we ought to have kept the stadium at a 36,000 capacity.

I've said before, the club should have moved. It is the old boards biggest mistake. When the Castle Leazes project fell through, they should have moved elsewhere. The council would have caved in when they realised the club meant what they said and would pull the club out of the city centre. I know some people say they simply wouldn't have been given planning permission to build anywhere else, but thats the whole point. They should have said "you will give us planning permission or we will move out of the city".

I would put progress before tradition, personally. I would love the club to have a stadium like the Millenium in Cardiff.

Before they built the Leazes and Gallowgate stands, another option would have been to rotate the pitch 90 degrees and to knock down the East Stand and Milburn. It would have been cheaper to build 4 new stands than to do what we did which was probably the most expensive option available.

Before they built the Leazes and Gallowgate stands, another option would have been to rotate the pitch 90 degrees and to knock down the East Stand and Milburn. It would have been cheaper to build 4 new stands than to do what we did which was probably the most expensive option available.

I'm not too sure that we could have turned the ground through 90 degrees as the narrowest part of the ground is the most restricted, the Milburn should have been built closer to or even above Barrack Road.

The problem for us is though, that Spurs, Everton & Aston Villa are finally starting to punch their own weight in the Premiership, and Man City, Portsmouth & Blackburn are punching well above theirs.

with the addendum that we're headed towards taking the place of the aforementioned clubs and punching below our weight, we'd better be careful 'cause look how long it took them to drag themselves back

Spurs, Everton and Villa ? ALL THREE of those clubs have had genuine real trophy winning success in the last 40 years since we did anything at all, and ALL THREE of those clubs were above us for the vast majority of this time. Its only recent history which has seen us get above those clubs for most of the time. I like some of your posts mate, but you have this the wrong way round I'm afraid.

This is true, but NONE of those clubs have matched us for support since SJP was redeveloped after the club was taken over by SJH in the early 90s - and NONE of them would match us now IF we got back into the Top 4 and somehow increased the size of SJP OR built another stadium...

IF being the operative word. I am abviously aware like yourself that the old board managed to finally get the ground re-developed after 80 years of bungling by previous regimes. Those clubs have only fallen further behind us - in ground capacity terms - since expanding the stadium 10 years ago, a move contributing hugely to our "debts" that many people slate, presumably because they think we ought to have kept the stadium at a 36,000 capacity.

I've said before, the club should have moved. It is the old boards biggest mistake. When the Castle Leazes project fell through, they should have moved elsewhere. The council would have caved in when they realised the club meant what they said and would pull the club out of the city centre. I know some people say they simply wouldn't have been given planning permission to build anywhere else, but thats the whole point. They should have said "you will give us planning permission or we will move out of the city".

I would put progress before tradition, personally. I would love the club to have a stadium like the Millenium in Cardiff.

yes I remmber them talking about that possibility as well

Guest neesy111

yes I remmber them talking about that possibility as well

the club should of moved ground, why didn't they build one where the arena was, cos the stadium them could of been used as an arena, cos the new ground in leazes was gonna be a bigger version of the amsterdam arena, also this would of been cheaper than to extend the ground which cost £100 million around in total, and would of generated extra income for the club

• 2 months later...

...and will this window be the start of the comedown?

Furthermore are people ready to accept that the club will now go through a 2/3 season rationalising process?

How very prescient of you Parky. Well the bit about the start of a comedown anyway.

Oh, and we since found out the answer to the second question: No.

:rolleyes:

the club should of moved ground, why didn't they build one where the arena was, cos the stadium them could of been used as an arena, cos the new ground in leazes was gonna be a bigger version of the amsterdam arena, also this would of been cheaper than to extend the ground which cost £100 million around in total, and would of generated extra income for the club

What about tradition? What about history?

I couldn't give a toss if they knocked down all four stands of Villa Park (the oldest wasn't even built when i started going, and I'm only 40), but they'd stop playing on that patch of grass over my dead fucking body.

Jesus. if clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Spurs start shitting over their history in the name of saving a few quid or having something which looks like some identikit EuroBowl stadium, or a bigger version of the Reebok, we might as well fucking give up.

The heart of English football is dying already. Traditional historic clubs playing in bigger versions of the Riverside? No fucking thanks.

This post was brought to you in conjunction with the drink gin and tonic. Supporting late night internet ramblings worldwide.

Top post, actually...booze induced or not. The shape of the game currently is morphing daily into something alien to us all...it's losing  touch with its grassroots, tradition, history and the communities it grew out of. Nobody wants to look this stubborn truth in the eye though. Too obsessed by Fantasy Football and Big Money. And it's a fucking shame. :(

Top post, actually...booze induced or not. The shape of the game currently is morphing daily into something alien to us all...it's losing  touch with its grassroots, tradition, history and the communities it grew out of. Nobody wants to look this stubborn truth in the eye though. Too obsessed by Fantasy Football and Big Money. And it's a fucking shame. :(

I agree. At the end of the day though I still get massive satisfaction out of watching a decent football match, obviously especially if it involves us winning. There is so much wrong with the game nowadays and so much of it comes down to money, but for 90 odd minutes every so often none of that seems to matter.

...and will this window be the start of the comedown?

Furthermore are people ready to accept that the club will now go through a 2/3 season rationalising process?

How very prescient of you Parky. Well the bit about the start of a comedown anyway.

Oh, and we since found out the answer to the second question: No.

:rolleyes:

I'm very underrated.  :undecided: