Have we been punching above our weight?

Parky

Guest thenorthumbrian

...and will this window be the start of the comedown?

Furthermore are people ready to accept that the club will now go through a 2/3 season rationalising process?

I understand the point you are making, but its hard to hear the "be patient" line after 40 years of failing to win a trophy. 

Guest ObaStar

I really think we need to sign at least 1 excellent player to be competitive next year. We also need like 4 or 5 players just to help fill the squad. players like guthrie but we need 1 arshavin type player. And even if we have to pay over the odds. If he gets us into Uefa Cup next year it will be worth it. With the premier league being the most popular it has ever been we need to capitalize on that and show we are a tip club now, not 10 years ago. If we do that we will get more fans exponentially who will help fund the club to go higher and higher. Basically a player like arshavin would be an investment. He could get us to places that guthrie and barton just cant.

If you follow the Arshavin saga first it was only Barca, not arsenal and def not tottenham. Then after Barca wont pay that much Arsenal was good too. But after Arsenal won't meet his wage demands Tottenham sounds ok. If we meet his demands and the demands of zenit he would come here. and that is the logical choice

Can we start a new forum for these "one a day doom threads"?  Gettig boring now.

Why is reorganising the club doom and gloom?

It's the whole "jam tomorrow" mentality.

We've got a billionaire owner - why haven't spent £150m yet?  :crazy2:

Can we start a new forum for these "one a day doom threads"?  Gettig boring now.

Why is reorganising the club doom and gloom?

It's the whole "jam tomorrow" mentality.

We've got a billionaire owner - why haven't spent £150m yet?  :crazy2:

You missed the decimal point.  :joker:

I think it's the complete opposite, we had bunched below our weight for decades, then realised the enormous potential of the club for a few years, and now seemingly heading back to inferiority complexes and lack of ambition.

Of course we just need our billionaire owner to release the moths from that wallet of his and all this will change.

While not being overjoyed at the thought of another transitional season (or two, or three), if it's a transition that is taking us to a better place then fine. It will obviously take time to rebuild from the mess the current powers inherited. And where were we going anyway? Was anyone in their right mind expecting Shepherd to deliver glory in the next couple of years?

I think too many bottom half finishes over the past 4 years has finally caught up with us and Keegan is finding the standard of player that would have come to us a few years back is no longer interested.

I don't think players see us as a top team anymore and I don't think Keegan's comments about "us never being good enough to break the top 4 in the next 3 years" would have done much to convince the ambitious players either.

I think it's the complete opposite, we had bunched below our weight for decades, then realised the enormous potential of the club for a few years, and now seemingly heading back to inferiority complexes and lack of ambition.

Of course we just need our billionaire owner to release the moths from that wallet of his and all this will change.

I remember quiet summers with the old board too, clearly you've just happened to forget about that.

I remember quiet summers with the old board too, clearly you've just happened to forget about that.

I don't think there's any doubt that players will come in, it's just how far down the list we'll have to go before we find someone we can attract.

Guest icemanblue

I'm sure I read this yesterday, and the day before and the day before that.

Same shit, different question. Lighten up a bit eh? Save these threads for September 1st, if we're in the same position.

I don't think we've been punching above our weight, no.

The problem for us is though, that Spurs, Everton & Aston Villa are finally starting to punch their own weight in the Premiership, and Man City, Portsmouth & Blackburn are punching well above theirs.

Furthermore are people ready to accept that the club will now go through a 2/3 season rationalising process?

I'd accept it if I thought it was necessary or desirable for the good of the club. I don't.

Any "rationalising process" (by which I am assuming you mean reducing the wage bill by a process of bringing in players who are happy to be on less than those we currently have who will be moved on or come to the end of their contracts) is far more likely to put us further back than we are now than to make us in anyway more attractive to players in the future.

If I'm wrong in what you mean by "rationalising process" please clarify.

I can't believe I'm responding to this poster but anyway, FFS I'm not a Shepherd apologist, that old board got it wrong often  most notably the  "we'll keep our powder dry" summer. But  however much you hate them, they undeniably backed their manager's in the transfer market and tried to act like a big club, their hearts were in the right place most of the time, despite their gaffs most notably towards the end of the reign when their time was clearly up and we needed a change.

But Ashley's proved nowt so far, absolutely nowt, until he starts providing the funds to help the manager improve the team on the pitch I'll remain sceptical.

I don't think we've been punching above our weight, no.

The problem for us is though, that Spurs, Everton & Aston Villa are finally starting to punch their own weight in the Premiership, and Man City, Portsmouth & Blackburn are punching well above theirs.

without a shadow of doubt the best analysis so far

with the addendum that we're headed towards taking the place of the aforementioned clubs and punching below our weight, we'd better be careful 'cause look how long it took them to drag themselves back

i blame northern rock. we've been arse since they took over from ntl:

well not really, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

i don't think we are punching above our weight, we've been underachieving for years, hopefully we will get it right sometime soon though, we've got the right manager to do it, we stagnated/regressed when robson was sacked