Pre-season: decimated and rendered almost completely useless by...

Dave

IT'S PRE-SEASON, THE MAIN AIM OF WHICH IS TO BUILD FITNESS, IT HAS NO ACTUAL BEARING ON THE SEASON

It does if you haven't had one, which is kind of the point. Can't be helped but it's not going to do us any favours.

Oh yeah, I agree with the original points raised in the thread, it just seems to have been taken over by mongs and doom mongers.

IT'S PRE-SEASON, THE MAIN AIM OF WHICH IS TO BUILD FITNESS, IT HAS NO ACTUAL BEARING ON THE SEASON

It does if you haven't had one, which is kind of the point. Can't be helped but it's not going to do us any favours.

Oh yeah, I agree with the original points raised in the thread, it just seems to have been taken over by mongs and doom mongers.

You don't find it ironic that the very people who have been preaching patience are now the ones trying to explain why this pre-season isn't going to plan and discussing what likely effects this will have on our start of the season? The so called optimists are bracing themselves for a disappointing start of the season whilst having ridiculed others expressing their concerns when the very things they are currently expecting could have been avoided at the time by a more proactive approach by the club..

Yeah, if we'd have brought in more players by now the others would have been fit. Obviously.

Unless you hoped we would change half the team?

We have a paper thin squad containing a number of notoriously unfit players, some players made from glass and a fair number of players who just don't qualify for the level we should aspire to (strangely, these are mainly the fitter ones). We've known this for months. If you believe injuries will be a valid excuse for poor results be my guest, but not for me they won't, as it has been glaringly obvious for quite a while that this squad needed some major reconstruction work done to it, not just a new layer of paint.. I am still hoping we are getting the work done that needs doing (i.e. being patient like you and others have been saying time and time again we should), but it sounds to me like the optimists themselves are starting to doubt whether the club will do what is needed and are trying to get some excuses in early. And oh, I don't think any game is a write-off before a ball is kicked. An ambitious club going places should certainly not be worried about going away to clubs that finished higher than them last season, because there shouldn't be too much pressure and with some positivity why would an upset be impossible..?

Yeah, if we'd have brought in more players by now the others would have been fit. Obviously.

We have a paper thin squad containing a number of notoriously unfit players, some players made from glass and a fair number of players who just don't qualify for the level we should aspire to (strangely, these are mainly the fitter ones). We've known this for months. If you believe injuries will be a valid excuse for poor results be my guest, but not for me they won't, as it has been glaringly obvious for quite a while that this squad needed some major reconstruction work done to it, not just a new layer of paint.. I am still hoping we are getting the work done that needs doing (i.e. being patient like you and others have been saying time and time again we should), but it sounds to me like the optimists themselves are starting to doubt whether the club will do what is needed and are trying to get some excuses in early. And oh, I don't think any game is a write-off before a ball is kicked. An ambitious club going places should certainly not be worried about going away to clubs that finished higher than them last season, because there shouldn't be too much pressure and with some positivity why would an upset be impossible..?

on the other hand would you want to buy players in just to have players in "now" as opposed to getting the players you want and padding out the squad later.

on the other hand would you want to buy players in just to have players in "now" as opposed to getting the players you want and padding out the squad later.

Well, if you had a list of players you had scouted and found to be suitable, would you start by approaching your first choice candidates or rather start at the bottom?

Guest neesy111

the only 2 players that won't be fit for the man utd game are viduka and carroll

if we have anything more than 6 points from the first 4 games, then it's been an excellent start

Guest neesy111

Keegan says we're looking at good players that other clubs are waiting for too. I'm willing to believe him.

yes and i do, if u don't trust him, who can you trust?

Well, if you had a list of players you had scouted and found to be suitable, would you start by approaching your first choice candidates or rather start at the bottom?

if the agent was true in saying that the coloccini deal was started 3 months ago i'd say you could be right in saying they started with the top target (and may still be doing so in other cases)

Football cliche phrase #75: paper thin squad.

Sure, it'd be nice to replace every player we don't like and have a super duper squad that entertains, flows and dazzles but this is reality and we'll have to take gradual steps. Our squad isn't as bad as is being made out by some. We've got some brittle players, but fuck me.. Keegan got a midfield of Barton, Butt & Geremi playing good, spanking the likes of Tottenham and giving good value for money against Chelsea for 45 minutes - and to be fair that only went tits up when Smith emerged.

I do agree with the arguement that the midfield caused alot of unnecesary pressure on the defense last season but at the same time I think that we'e lacked a leader at the back and hopefully Colo will be that, leading by example and pushing on for the win. So far this close season, although we haven't signed the likes of Deco & Hery (I am who seriously thought these kinda signings were a possibility anyway?) we have definatly improved by getting rid of 4 players that essentially never played for us with 4 players that have good injury records and appear to have ability on the ball - something we lack.

And yeah, I reckon we'll get lubed up and pounded by Man U for our first fixture. That's not being pessimistic, that's being realistic and believing that we won't turn into the Brazil starting XI in a matter of months.

Keegan says we're looking at good players that other clubs are waiting for too. I'm willing to believe him.

So am I. But I would like to add that if we are looking to actually attract these players we may have to bid them a little more financially to make up for our lack of attractivity due to not playing in Europe and not looking likely to break Europe next season either. If we lose out to our targets because we are more concerned about the checkbook than about the quality of our squad it feels to me like we are being pennywise, but poundfoulish. The stock of Newcastle United has fallen over the past few seasons, and unless we bend the curb it will only become more difficult in the future to attract the players we need to make up for lost ground..

So am I. But I would like to add that if we are looking to actually attract these players we may have to bid them a little more financially to make up for our lack of attractivity due to not playing in Europe and not looking likely to break Europe next season either. If we lose out to our targets because we are more concerned about the checkbook than about the quality of our squad it feels to me like we are being pennywise, but poundfoulish. The stock of Newcastle United has fallen over the past few seasons, and unless we bend the curb it will only become more difficult in the future to attract the players we need to make up for lost ground..

at the same time we don't want to get players by offering them ridiculous deals that means we can't get shot of them if need be. it calls for finding the right deal. we don't know how many times this has failed and if any negotiations with others are on-going.

Well we'll see. As me and the 'blind hope/head in the sand/Ashleyite/optimism' crew have been saying all along.

Any comments on madras' point about chasing Coloccini for three months btw? Not trying to catch you out, just wondering whether you believe it.

Well we'll see. As me and the 'blind hope/head in the sand/Ashleyite/optimism' crew have been saying all along.

Any comments on madras' point about chasing Coloccini for three months btw? Not trying to catch you out, just wondering whether you believe it.

i don't even know if i believe it but it's one of the few occasions whehn any of our transfers have been commented on by a directly attributable concerned source.

I haven't seen it mentioned (source?), but if it is true than it may follow suit that we have also worked on other targets for months. You will say it is possible we are still working on them, and I will retort we may well be, but it is also very likely some deals (Modric? Arda? Gomis? etc) have failed because we have not been very decisive in the transfer market (unless you call negotiating for 3 months decisive?) Also, would you not say with the start of the season fast approaching many teams will be loath to let go of their best players if they don't need to, because it will be that much harder for them to attract quality replacements for the players they are letting go?

Guest neesy111

there's a lot of fans that think the teams around us are far better than they are

everton, decent team but when we beat them 3-2 we played off the park at times

blackburn, gonna struggle without hughes

pompey, ain't got the biggest of squads if they want to compete in europe

villa, probably be fighting with spurs for 5th although their defence is a lot worse than ours tbf

spurs, very talented team but very very lightweight, i wonder what modric and dos santos will feel like in december and january

top 8 is achievable

Modric granted (and has been done to death), but Arda and Gomis haven't gone anywhere have they? So how exactly have they failed?

Barring Modric, Jo, Keane and maybe Crouch, I can't think of many decently-sized deals that have gone through so far. Does that mean no more will happen? Does it 'eck.

The source was Coloccini's agent btw. We have supposedly been working on the fee for months. Knew there'd be something wrong with it like, now they're indecisive. :lol:

At the end of the day, you're just impatient for transfers. Simple as that.

Guest neesy111

Modric granted (and has been done to death), but Arda and Gomis haven't gone anywhere have they? So how exactly have they failed?

Barring Modric, Jo, Keane and maybe Crouch, I can't think of many decently-sized deals that have gone through so far. Does that mean no more will happen? Does it 'eck.

The source was Coloccini's agent btw. We have supposedly been working on the fee for months. Knew there'd be something wrong with it like, now they're indecisive. :lol:

At the end of the day, you're just impatient for transfers. Simple as that.

i suspect with a lot of european clubs struggling for money, that clubs will just wait till the end of the window till when the clubs will be forced to sell

I haven't seen it mentioned (source?), but if it is true than it may follow suit that we have also worked on other targets for months. You will say it is possible we are still working on them, and I will retort we may well be, but it is also very likely some deals (Modric? Arda? Gomis? etc) have failed because we have not been very decisive in the transfer market (unless you call negotiating for 3 months decisive?) Also, would you not say with the start of the season fast approaching many teams will be loath to let go of their best players if they don't need to, because it will be that much harder for them to attract quality replacements for the players they are letting go?

only modric was in any way confirmed and not many moved before the euros and it seems that (the euros)may have pushed up perceptions of players worth on both fees and wages (arshavin and arda yet to move after being priced too high so far ?).

i'll try and find the quote from the agent but it won't be easy.

realistically..we'll find out by sept 1st

Latest update from the depor forum

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/news.php

€2 MILLION IS THE DIFFERENCE FOR COLOCCINI

31 Jul 2008 -- Depor Sport wrote on its Wednesday’s issue that Lendoiro’s demands to Newcastle for defender Coloccini are for €12.5 million plus objectives. So far, the Toons are only offering €11 million. Meanwhile, Momo has cancelled his contract with Deportivo, right now he’s waiting to arrange a deal with Xerez in order to announce his departure.

A lot has been written abut the possible departure of Fabricio Coloccini. It’s known that Newcastle United is offering €11 million plus an additional million for objectives. And now the demands of president Lendoiro have been revealed. Depor Sport, the official paper of the club, wrote on Wednesday that Depor’s president is asking for €12.5 million plus €1.5 million for objectives, in resume the transfer of the Argentinean has been valued in €14 million by Lendoiro.

The situation has angered the agent of the player, Marcelo Lombilla. The problem is that Lendoiro promised to open the doors to the ex-Milan defender in case that a €10 million offer appears. Lombilla worked three months in order to have that offer, and when he presented it, Lendoiro was risen the limit. For the moment all the sides are keeping their position. Depor’s president decided to stay in La Coruña and Lombilla in Madrid. Meanwhile, Newcastle’s squad is playing a couple of friendly games in Spain.

It’s also known that Coloccini isn’t the only choice in Newcastle’s agenda. According to the rumours, they are also interested in Nicolás Burdisso from Inter Milan FC. It seems the English side could offer €6.5 million for Burdisso in case the deal for Coloccini fails.

31 Jul 2008 -- Depor Sport wrote on its Wednesday’s issue that Lendoiro’s demands to Newcastle for defender Coloccini are for €12.5 million plus objectives. So far, the Toons are only offering €11 million. Meanwhile, Momo has cancelled his contract with Deportivo, right now he’s waiting to arrange a deal with Xerez in order to announce his departure.

A lot has been written abut the possible departure of Fabricio Coloccini. It’s known that Newcastle United is offering €11 million plus an additional million for objectives. And now the demands of president Lendoiro have been revealed. Depor Sport, the official paper of the club, wrote on Wednesday that Depor’s president is asking for €12.5 million plus €1.5 million for objectives, in resume the transfer of the Argentinean has been valued in €14 million by Lendoiro.

The situation has angered the agent of the player, Marcelo Lombilla. The problem is that Lendoiro promised to open the doors to the ex-Milan defender in case that a €10 million offer appears. Lombilla worked three months in order to have that offer, and when he presented it, Lendoiro was risen the limit. For the moment all the sides are keeping their position. Depor’s president decided to stay in La Coruña and Lombilla in Madrid. Meanwhile, Newcastle’s squad is playing a couple of friendly games in Spain.

It’s also known that Coloccini isn’t the only choice in Newcastle’s agenda. According to the rumours, they are also interested in Nicolás Burdisso from Inter Milan FC. It seems the English side could offer €6.5 million for Burdisso in case the deal for Coloccini fails.

thanks for that baggio.

pretty sure i've read it somewhere as a direct quote aswell,identifying newcastle as the team.

thanks for that baggio.

pretty sure i've read it somewhere as a direct quote aswell,identifying newcastle as the team.

I've seen that, he said we went in with an opening bid of 8 million euros.

thanks for that baggio.

I've seen that, he said we went in with an opening bid of 8 million euros.

that might be the one