Keegan: Me and Ashley work superbly together

Baggio

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/16/we-re-more-united-than-ever-61634-21543834/

We're more united than ever

Aug 16 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

KEVIN Keegan leads his Newcastle United team into a new Premier League season insisting the club’s hierarchy is more united than at any point since he returned to St James’s Park.

Delivering the most upbeat address of his second incarnation on Tyneside, Keegan admitted that his relationship with Mike Ashley has come “a long way” since he was summoned to London to meet the club’s owner in what were effectively ‘clear-the-air’ talks in May.

Since then the power lines at the club have been redefined and clarified, much to the satisfaction of Keegan, who has seen enough over the summer to suggest Ashley’s ownership can help the club finally deliver some trophies. Refuting suggestions that he may be forced to sell James Milner or any of his other players to finance further investment, Keegan revealed that owner Mike Ashley shares his belief that the midfielder must stay at the club.

And the Newcastle manager is adamant that unity extends to his relationship with executive director (football) Dennis Wise and every one of the other key players in United’s hierarchy. “Everyone is 100% pulling in the right direction, despite what we tend to read,” he said.

“I do not think we have ever been closer than we are now. The owner Mike Ashley has come out and said in his own words how he sees the club and that was a good thing to do because it stopped all of this ‘well he is thinking of selling’.

“What he is saying, and I agree with him wholeheartedly, is that if we could get two or three more like him on board, we could try to get this club where it wants to be, which is back in that top four. That is the aim of everyone.” Keegan’s words are precisely the sort of message that United supporters have been hoping for during a summer in which questions have been raised about how much power the manager wields over player recruitment and other aspects of the club’s operations. Reflecting on the May meeting with Ashley, Keegan feels the club has progressed substantially behind the scenes. “I think we are a long way from there now. We all understand what each other’s briefs are and what each of us brings to the club and that is a good thing,” he said.

“Six or seven guys in a room talking about football are never, ever going to agree on everything but the important thing is when we don’t agree, it stays in the room.

“We are very much united as far as I am concerned. I am sure if you ask Dennis Wise, Tony Jiminez, Jeff Vetere, Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias, they would say the same thing.” Keegan’s optimism was helped by sealing the signing of Fabricio Coloccini yesterday on a five-year deal, as well as receiving confirmation that Argentina winger Jonás Gutiérrez’s registration has been received in time for him to play at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Michael Owen remains at least a week away from a return – and may be struggling for the Bolton game in a fortnight – but Keegan believes his team have been improved by his summer recruitment. “We still have some way to go because Rome wasn’t built in a day,” he admitted. “When we wrap up this period with the transfer deadline, then the supporters will see where we are. We have just broken our record for a defender and you know, that sends out a message. And I do not think he will be the last player to come in here by a long way.” While Milner’s exit now looks unlikely, Abdoulaye Faye has departed to Stoke for £2.5m .

However, sources in East Anglia indicated that Shola Ameobi’s proposed move to Ipswich was on the verge of collapse last night – with the striker understood to prefer a move to another Premier League club.

Guest optimistic nit

Wish we had Woodgate and Modric...

Modric yes, Woodgate no.

the only way that spurs will break top 4 will be if they play that 231mformation mentioned and in a similar way to how we played when we finished 3rd under keegan.

they need to hope that bent can score lots of goals this season and that they can get lots of goals from midfield. both of these are entirely possible, but they are short at both defence and attack, so if ramos plan a doesnt work, they could be in the shit.

what i wouldn't give for us to bring in 4 quality players before Sep and and shut the c***s up. The clubs who suddenly think they're a league above us, Everton, Man f***ing City, Spurs, Blackburn, even Pompey and their line of spitting arseholes

ive said already i dont think any of those clubs are that far above us. Blackburn have gone badly backwards, not even contender for europe next season imo, citeh seem quite fucked and im not impressed at all with pompeys signings. Everton have done nothing of note in the window so far

Spurs and Villa have both stregnthened, but we have closed the gap between those 3 as well imo

And they're still referring to last seasons meeting as a showdown.

Well, I think it was a bit of a showdown, but my feeling is that it's had a positive effect. I'm well satisfied with the players we've brought in so far, and the best may be yet to come.

I was listening to Five Live's Premiership preview with David Pleat, Gabriele Marcotti and Graham Poll. They were very negative about our chances, and full of doom and gloom about what was going on behind the scenes. It was just unreal. All this negative publicity has had a real effect.

Mind you, to some extent Keegan brought it on himself, with that little rant after the Chelsea game. I think he's learned his lesson now.

Just shows that if you repeat a lie enough times many people come to regard it as the truth. These guys are supposed to be well versed in their field, football punditry in this case, yet have bought into the stories so oft repeated in the press. Just shows to me they're not too good at their jobs really.

And if others club managers should also have bought into the pressanory then all well and good, for it just means they will be underestimating us.

Guest mobiius

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/16/we-re-more-united-than-ever-61634-21543834/

We're more united than ever

Aug 16 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

KEVIN Keegan leads his Newcastle United team into a new Premier League season insisting the club’s hierarchy is more united than at any point since he returned to St James’s Park.

Delivering the most upbeat address of his second incarnation on Tyneside, Keegan admitted that his relationship with Mike Ashley has come “a long way” since he was summoned to London to meet the club’s owner in what were effectively ‘clear-the-air’ talks in May.

Since then the power lines at the club have been redefined and clarified, much to the satisfaction of Keegan, who has seen enough over the summer to suggest Ashley’s ownership can help the club finally deliver some trophies. Refuting suggestions that he may be forced to sell James Milner or any of his other players to finance further investment, Keegan revealed that owner Mike Ashley shares his belief that the midfielder must stay at the club.

And the Newcastle manager is adamant that unity extends to his relationship with executive director (football) Dennis Wise and every one of the other key players in United’s hierarchy. “Everyone is 100% pulling in the right direction, despite what we tend to read,” he said.

“I do not think we have ever been closer than we are now. The owner Mike Ashley has come out and said in his own words how he sees the club and that was a good thing to do because it stopped all of this ‘well he is thinking of selling’.

“What he is saying, and I agree with him wholeheartedly, is that if we could get two or three more like him on board, we could try to get this club where it wants to be, which is back in that top four. That is the aim of everyone.” Keegan’s words are precisely the sort of message that United supporters have been hoping for during a summer in which questions have been raised about how much power the manager wields over player recruitment and other aspects of the club’s operations. Reflecting on the May meeting with Ashley, Keegan feels the club has progressed substantially behind the scenes. “I think we are a long way from there now. We all understand what each other’s briefs are and what each of us brings to the club and that is a good thing,” he said.

“Six or seven guys in a room talking about football are never, ever going to agree on everything but the important thing is when we don’t agree, it stays in the room.

“We are very much united as far as I am concerned. I am sure if you ask Dennis Wise, Tony Jiminez, Jeff Vetere, Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias, they would say the same thing.” Keegan’s optimism was helped by sealing the signing of Fabricio Coloccini yesterday on a five-year deal, as well as receiving confirmation that Argentina winger Jonás Gutiérrez’s registration has been received in time for him to play at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Michael Owen remains at least a week away from a return – and may be struggling for the Bolton game in a fortnight – but Keegan believes his team have been improved by his summer recruitment. “We still have some way to go because Rome wasn’t built in a day,” he admitted. “When we wrap up this period with the transfer deadline, then the supporters will see where we are. We have just broken our record for a defender and you know, that sends out a message. And I do not think he will be the last player to come in here by a long way.” While Milner’s exit now looks unlikely, Abdoulaye Faye has departed to Stoke for £2.5m .

However, sources in East Anglia indicated that Shola Ameobi’s proposed move to Ipswich was on the verge of collapse last night – with the striker understood to prefer a move to another Premier League club.

Shola suffering from delusions of grandeur , surely not.

'We are never going to agree on everything. If you put six or seven guys in a room talking about football, you are never ever going to agree on everything but the important thing is when we don't agree, it stays in the room. And you come out and are very much united

"Toon Managed By Committee"

"Who's The Boss?"

"Too Many Chiefs"

Better headlines than the Sun or Mail would come up with, but I'm sure what would be written around that quote...

• 2 weeks later...