Why the extremes?

Stu

This has been an ongoing concern of mine, perhaps it's just the nature of this forum, but there seem to be bizarre levels of positivity/negativity banded around - highlighted by the match reaction to today's game.

For example, Nicky Butt wasn't on his best form today, he broke down a few attacks and for the most part, kept Scholes in check. However, he noticeably gave the ball away three or four times in our half, before giving away the free-kick at the end - all of a suddent he's atrocious and "should never be near the first team".

How can a supporter of the team say that about someone who has just given his all to earn our team an unlikely point?

By all means, look to bring in another player to improve the team as a whole, but regardless of his three or four mistakes he contributed to the team's overall performance.

Similarly, N'Zogbia - brought in to play at left-back, partly because of the crowd's reaction to Enrique's two mistakes in pre-season - and he gets slaughtered for not having one of his better games. From what I saw, he didn't do too badly, two or three passes went astray and he was dispossesed in our own half by Brown (oops!) but I didn't think his standard was that much lower than the team as a whole.

In contrast, Jonas - who was fantastic, simply one of the best debuts for a Newcastle player that I can recall - is suddenly the new messiah. While he has cheered me up no end, I would like to see this form replicated week-in, week-out before I have his name tattooed on my arse.

The mood swings about players in our team are scary at times. I haven't even started on Smith (disgraceful comments on here and elsewhere) and Milner (amazed at some comments today).

I think emotions overrule reason during the height of the game. Butt frequently has made such errors despite the rest of the good play, and it's the errors we want rid off. N'zogbia is closer to a liability at left back, Keegan gambled today and got away with it. Milner lacks something going forward.

But they're all quite good players, I guess we just want 11 Jonas's for a couple of games. :)

Guest thenorthumbrian

really, we need to focus on the positives. and by that i mean, smith didnt play any part in todays game!!!!!!!!! :celb:

You can't see the likes of Smith or Barton improving the team after today.

But its still early days.