So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest icemanblue

Jesus, another one?! I swear the attendance on this board will be easily cut by half once the transfer window is closed.

I dunno I think there's less people posting on the board in general now.

Ok, ok, i'll settle for you going away then.

Gokhan Inler: Everton Make £7m Move for Arsenal & Newcastle Swiss Target But Perfect for Spurs

Gokhan Inler: Premier League Bound?Udinese midfielder has been the subject of much interest from the Premier League this summer with both Newcastle and Arsenal heavily linked to the Swiss sensation. Despite comments from his agent concerning a reported move to the Emirates it has emerged that David Moyes is attempting to make the Serie A anchorman his first summer signing for £7m.

Inler’s agent Dino Lambertini had previously claimed he was planning to meet Arsenal representatives to discuss a £10m move to North London. He announced to the press a few weeks ago, “I’m due to go to London and take a look over everything, but no deal has been done yet with Arsenal.”

“It is difficult for us to take a decision, but Arsenal is certainly something that Gokhan needs to look at.

“Wenger is someone who helps young players go forward.”

Premier 10 RolloverDespite reported interest from both the player and Arsenal in making a deal happen, it has emerged that it’s Everton who are making a £7m move to bring the exciting star to Goodison as a direct replacement for veteran Lee Carsley who joined Birmingham this summer.

The player had also been strongly linked to Newcastle but now they face real competition from Arsenal and Everton. After the collapse of Tiago’s loan move to Merseyside, Moyes needs to bring in reinforcements and there’s no doubt Inler fits the bill.

It’s of no surprise the player has been linked to these clubs as though he may not be a household name in England but he’s well regarded in Europe over the past few seasons and impressed individually in Switzerland’s doomed Euro 2008 performances. Inler currently plies his trade for Serie A side Udinese whom he joined at the beginning of last season.

The 24-year-old enjoyed an impressive first campaign in Italy after moving from FC Zurich. Due to injuries to established midfield stars Giampiero Pinzi and Chris Obodo, the youngster soon became a first team regular and was voted the best foreign player in the Italian top division for the past half of the campaign last season. He played in 37 of the clubs 38 League games and scored twice (all starts) as Udinese finished an impressive 7th.

Premier 10 freeInler’s a highly energetic player with an excellent work ethic and is sound in possession. He is not afraid to put himself about but is not an overly physical player as 6 bookings in 37 games last season suggests. He certainly isn’t a patch on Joey Barton anyway!

The Swiss youngster is an excellent reader of the game so snuffs out attacking threats through his positional awareness rather than brute force although he’s no shrinking violet when it comes to a challenge. Think of him as a younger version of Claude Makelele but who doesn’t necessarily sit rigidly in front of the back four. He is the type of player that a number of clubs are in desperate need for including the Gunners North London rivals Tottenham. After their display at Middlesbrough, the need for a midfield anchorman was evident for all to see. Inler could well be the man to fit that role at White Hart Lane.

Inler won back to back Swiss League titles with FC Zurich and has been an integral member of the national side since making his debut in September 2006. He played in all 3 of his countries Euro 2008 games and now has 20 appearances at this level (1 goal).At 24, Inler has already plenty of experience and after impressing both in Serie A and at international level he would be a useful acquisition for many Premier League clubs though it remains to be whether it’s Arsenal, Newcastle, Everton or perhaps Spurs who win the race.

So were you impressed by his Inler’s performances at Euro 2008? Would Newcastle, Everton and Arsenal fans like your club to sign the Swiss international or are you rather ‘neutral’ about it all? Is the player exactly what your club needs? Let’s hear your views.

Guest hikickry

cant say ive seen much off inler, he must have some quality though, looking at all the interest. I just get the impression he isnt what we are after, after all, we dont want to reveal where our recruitment team has been looking so as not to "warn others about our targets". I think any deals that go through wont be after a media hype train like this. dont you think?

THE Journal claims that AZ Alkmaar have denied there has been any contact with Newcastle regarding the sale of their left-back Sebastien Pocognoli.

The Magpies have reportedly made a £6m offer for the 21-year-old, who has been a member of the Belgium squad which reached the semi-finals of the Olympic football tournament in Beijing.

But The Journal says AZ officials have told them that any talk of an offer for the highly-rated defender is merely speculation at this point.

Slow news day

Guest sicko2ndbest

THE Journal claims that AZ Alkmaar have denied there has been any contact with Newcastle regarding the sale of their left-back Sebastien Pocognoli.

The Magpies have reportedly made a £6m offer for the 21-year-old, who has been a member of the Belgium squad which reached the semi-finals of the Olympic football tournament in Beijing.

But The Journal says AZ officials have told them that any talk of an offer for the highly-rated defender is merely speculation at this point.

Slow news day

Very slow, very quiet, me thinks there is something big on the horizon. Wait until Keegans prematch this afternoon

Slow news day

Very slow, very quiet, me thinks there is something big on the horizon. Wait until Keegans prematch this afternoon

Yes it's either going to be  "Next week we should see allot of new faces here and one is a WOW player"

Or "It's been very difficult to get the players in as no one is moving we will have to strengthen in Jan"

Please don't be the latter

Slow news day

Yes it's either going to be   "Next week we should see allot of new faces here and one is a WOW player"

Or "It's been very difficult to get the players in as no one is moving we will have to strengthen in Jan"

Please don't be the latter

if he SAID the latter i'd personally EXPECT the former...

KK will just say the same thing, regardless of how true it is.

'We're working hard to get two or three new faces in but we won't bring players in just for the sake of it; they must be quality players.'

Something like that.

To be honest, it wouldn't suprise me if we didn't get anyone else in, but it wouldn't suprise me if we got 3 or 4 in. It's been a strange window for most clubs.

I actually think our squad is stronger than most make out, and I only think we really need a Striker and maybe a left back.

I agree with your general point (especially about the squad being better than many think); I'd prefer to see a midfielder take priority over a striker though. Not saying we're flush up front but unless we can shift Ameobi and/or perhaps Smith I just don't think the wage bill will stand yet another one.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be disappointed like everyone else if we don't shuffle the pack a bit more, but I'm not going to be calling for Ashley's head.

To be honest, it wouldn't suprise me if we didn't get anyone else in, but it wouldn't suprise me if we got 3 or 4 in. It's been a strange window for most clubs.

I actually think our squad is stronger than most make out, and I only think we really need a Striker and maybe a left back.

we could make do without more players but it wouldn't desireable would it?  right now we've guthrie, butt & geremi for CM (who knows how long barton will be gone) - to imagine we can even make to jan with just them is criminally optimistic

similar for the FW positions

CB is slightly better but it's a big ask of bassong if taylor/colo got injured

first 11 is decent, better than decent really, strength in depth has always been the issue

I agree with your general point (especially about the squad being better than many think); I'd prefer to see a midfielder take priority over a striker though. Not saying we're flush up front but unless we can shift Ameobi and/or perhaps Smith I just don't think the wage bill will stand yet another one.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be disappointed like everyone else if we don't shuffle the pack a bit more, but I'm not going to be calling for Ashley's head.

not like you dave!

A few injuries and suspensions (inevitable) will show that is not the case.  A lot of injuries, some long-term injuries and some suspensions and losses of form (all, almost inevitable) will really show that is not the case.

We have too few players, too few good players and too few very good players.

We need strengthening - simple as that, and it is no use us burying our heads in the sand about it.

I think he will be doing his press conference with Arda and Baptista

Do we need Arda now we have Jonas?  I think not.

Arda left and Guti right I'd go with that!

What if Guti gets injured? Who else could unlock things for us?  Milner and Zogs crossing leaves allot to be desired and Duff is a bit hit and miss despite a good pre season.

Arda left and Guti right I'd go with that!

What if Guti gets injured? Who else could unlock things for us?  Milner and Zogs crossing leaves allot to be desired and Duff is a bit hit and miss despite a good pre season.

Fair point, sign him :)

I think lots of people underestimate KK's self-belief in getting the best out of players who have been underperforming for us for too long now. How do we know he automatically wants rid of the same players we do?

He sees Smith, Duff, Butt, Milner etc every day in training, we don't. It wouldn't amaze me if he thinks there's something to work with there, however small it looks to us on match day.

I suppose what I'm saying is that not replacing the players we don't rate doesn't necessarily mean there are problems behind the scenes.

A few injuries and suspensions (inevitable) will show that is not the case.  A lot of injuries, some long-term injuries and some suspensions and losses of form (all, almost inevitable) will really show that is not the case.

We have too few players, too few good players and too few very good players.

We need strengthening - simple as that, and it is no use us burying our heads in the sand about it.

And if you read my post, I believe a further two players will be enough, at least to get us to January.

I read your post. Two players would help. But also 'two players' is cutting it very, very, fine indeed.  Realistically, two players is not enough, and if we are to 'bank a fair few points' before these two players get injured and/or suspended, then they need to be very good players (noticeably better than those we already have) which, to be fair, Keegan has always said is the only type of new player he wants, which makes the field to choose from quite small.

I think lots of people underestimate KK's self-belief in getting the best out of players who have been underperforming for us for too long now. How do we know he automatically wants rid of the same players we do?

He sees Smith, Duff, Butt, Milner etc every day in training, we don't. It wouldn't amaze me if he thinks there's something to work with there, however small it looks to us on match day.

I suppose what I'm saying is that not replacing players doesn't necessarily mean there are problems behind the scenes etc.

problem isn't behind the scenes though with the players you name there, it's on the pitch - where they're shite!! ;)

i think you're right about this however, trouble is in many cases we're not even talking about replacing (except FWs), we're talking about supplementing

Guest sicko2ndbest

Arda could play wide or as a playmaker