General Australian Football Thread

Raconteur
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've been meaning to do this for a long time, and finally I've overcome procrastination. For those who care, I present the General Australian Football Thread. Viduka might not play for Australia anymore, but N-O has many Australian fans, and there may even be the odd Ockerphile amongst the general community.

To kick things off, I offer the recently announced Australia squad to play Holland and Uzbekhistan:

Michael BEAUCHAMP (Aalborg, Denmark),

Mark BRESCIANO (Palermo, Italy),

Jacob BURNS (Unirea Valahorum, Romania),

David CARNEY (Sheffield United, England),

Scott CHIPPERFIELD (FC Basel, Switzerland),

Chris COYNE (Colchester United, England),

Ante COVIC (Newcastle Jets, Australia),

Jason CULINA (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands),

Bruce DJITE (Genclerbirligi, Turkey),

Brett EMERTON (Blackburn Rovers, England),

Richard GARCIA (Hull City, England),

Vince GRELLA (Blackburn Rovers, England),

Brett HOLMAN (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands),

Brad JONES (Middlesbrough, England),

Josh KENNEDY (Karlsruher SC, Germany),

Harry KEWELL (Galatasaray SK, Turkey),

Scott McDONALD (Celtic, Scotland),

Mark MILLIGAN (uncontracted),

Lucas NEILL (West Ham United, England),

Jade NORTH (Newcastle Jets),

Michael PETKOVIC (Sivasspor, Turkey),

Mark SCHWARZER (Fulham, England),

Matthew SPIRANOVIC (FC Nurnberg, Germany)

Shane STEFANUTTO (Lyn Oslo, Norway),

Mile STERJOVSKI (Derby County, England),

Carl VALERI (Grosseto, Italy)

Luke WILKSHIRE (Dynamo Moscow, Russia)

I'm sure more than a few names are familiar to British and European fans. Bresciano is being courted by Rangers and someone else - I believe he is one of the few Socceroos worthy of playing for Newcastle. (Bresciano or Culina would fit right into our first team, and Kennedy has replaced Viduka in the national side... Would add to the new "luxurious hair" trend too :colo:)

For a more domestic flavour, the upcoming round of A-League features:

Melbourne Victory v Newcastle United Jets

Sydney FC v Perth Glory

Queensland Roar v Central Coast Mariners

You'd think home wins all, but the Mariners will give Queensland a good shake. If this thread lives it will soon become apparent I hold a long-standing "fan grudge" against Frank Farina. Nothing against the Roar. But since they chose to hire him as coach, I hope they fail miserably. Ex-Newcastle star (:p) Craig Moore still plays for (and captains) the Roar in between suspensions (after months of me saying he WOULD NOT sign for the Roar - may as well establish my ITK credentials at the start too ;) )

The Wellington v Adelaide match doesn't seem to be listed for this weekend. Depending on the results of the first poll I might clicks a few links to find out why and post them here :lol: Same goes with line-ups, match reports, whatever.

If there's enough interest I can cut and paste regularly, but I'm not going to be the only one to bump my own thread!

The problem for the National side right now is that its stars like Viduka ,Kewell and Neill are starting to age together - there ARE some younger players with promise but none that look as if they can replicate the guys who will be dropping out as time goes by....

There is great potential to develop players in Oz, but the kids get neglected between the ages of about 10 and 15, which is a crucial stage...

I wanted SJH to set up an Academy in Oz back in 1997, and NUFC could have benefitted greatly from this, as could many youngsters who have drifted out of the game because of lack of facilities or opportunity to develop.

Still very extensive migration to Oz(esp WA)from the UK esp., so there will always be an interest and kids coming through who want to play in the Prem ; you see matches played every weekend where I live..

I've watched a bit of Aussie league footy on the telly since I moved to NZ.  The standard isn't very good imo 

Ex-Toon "star" Michael Bridges played for a few months last season on loan at Sydney FC - and scored a few goals too. So yeah, Championship at very best... David Carney left Sydney for Sheffield United which was unanimously considered a step up...

Wellington are supposed to be a dark horse this season - do Kiwis generally care about them?

I'll be honest and say Ive never watched more than 5 mins of Australian league football.

Having said that I always try to watch Australia's games in the World Cup.  Probably becasue alot of their players play in England and also becasue as countries we are more alike than most care to admit.

I've watched a bit of Aussie league footy on the telly since I moved to NZ.  The standard isn't very good imo 

Ex-Toon "star" Michael Bridges played for a few months last season on loan at Sydney FC - and scored a few goals too. So yeah, Championship at very best... David Carney left Sydney for Sheffield United which was unanimously considered a step up...

Wellington are supposed to be a dark horse this season - do Kiwis generally care about them?

Not really as far as I can tell.  Rugby is all powerful here (union and league) but most sports are more popular than football.  The Phoenix only get attendances of a few thousand I think and they're the only team in NZ.  Dunno how many fans they have around the country - they used to be based in Auckland so I assume they've still got a fanbase here.  Might be a bit more popular if Wellington were more successful but my sense is it's just not a part of Kiwi sporting DNA.     

Not really as far as I can tell.  Rugby is all powerful here (union and league) but most sports are more popular than football.  The Phoenix only get attendances of a few thousand I think and they're the only team in NZ.  Dunno how many fans they have around the country - they used to be based in Auckland so I assume they've still got a fanbase here.  Might be a bit more popular if Wellington were more successful but my sense is it's just not a part of Kiwi sporting DNA.     

NZ is too small a country in population terms to currently stage a credible football competition, which is why Wellington play in the A League ; Australia's population is bigger than Holland's, so there are enough fans to support the League ; Kiwis are antipathic to anything Australian, so they naturally have little interest in football played mainly there ; they are also. as everyone knows, best at Egg-chasing.

NZ is too small a country in population terms to currently stage a credible football competition, which is why Wellington play in the A League ; Australia's population is bigger than Holland's, so there are enough fans to support the League ; Kiwis are antipathic to anything Australian, so they naturally have little interest in football played mainly there ; they are also. as everyone knows, best at Egg-chasing.

Yes.  I reckon The Phoenix could eventually go bust, it happened to their predecessors.  Rugby's where it's at it here fo' sho'

To be honest, it'd be struggling to even be at Championship standard.

I'd honestly say lower League 1.

Adelaide vs. Wellington is on Saturday night at Hindmarsh....

i be there

Me too more than likely.

To be honest, it'd be struggling to even be at Championship standard.

Adelaide vs. Wellington is on Saturday night at Hindmarsh....

i be there

Me too more than likely.

Quite a few south aussies here.

I'll be there too

Guest diddimz

I use to watch every game Australia played, and was behind the A League 100% but after i was released by the Roar's youth i must admit i lost heart, and havent been able to follow it with the same enthusiasm since.

Im a Sydney Fan, but i dont watch half the matches, and im more dedicated to a team on the other side of the world.

Ill watch rugby league, (manly sea eagles) as i live near brookvale, but ive only been to a few Sydney FC games, including the 1st grand final that we won.

TBH, the atmosphere at the A league is better, more singing and what not, but its a bit too much of an effort to get too.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

Im a Sydney Fan, but i dont watch half the matches, and im more dedicated to a team on the other side of the world.

Ill watch rugby league, (manly sea eagles) as i live near brookvale, but ive only been to a few Sydney FC games, including the 1st grand final that we won.

TBH, the atmosphere at the A league is better, more singing and what not, but its a bit too much of an effort to get too.

Maybe if you made the effort to get to more games, instead of moaning about how you're more passionate about a team on the other side of the world, you'd start to develop an affinity for club & thereby help grow the sport in this country by filling stadiums, increasing TV ratings & raising general awareness!

Seriously, we all need to get behind the sport in this country if we want the quality of our local league to grow, thereby raising the standard of the national team & getting more coverage in the press/media etc.

The A-League may not be EPL standard, but it's all we have & anyone who calls themselves a football fan, should get off their arse & attend the matches!

FFS, the toon have been playing poor football for a few seasons now but we still follow them without question... there's no reason we can't have the same passion & devotion for our local clubs as well !

The NRL is dying a slow, painful death.. leave it behind & get yourself into the 'cove' on a regular basis!

Guest Gh0StFaC3

and i'm going on record to say COME ON THE VICTORY!  :pow:

Follow Sun'lan too do ya?  ;D

FAIL.

Try upper League 1 / Lower Championship & you might have a clue!

Maybe if you made the effort to get to more games, instead of moaning about how you're more passionate about a team on the other side of the world, you'd start to develop an affinity for club & thereby help grow the sport in this country by filling stadiums, increasing TV ratings & raising general awareness!

Seriously, we all need to get behind the sport in this country if we want the quality of our local league to grow, thereby raising the standard of the national team & getting more coverage in the press/media etc.

The A-League may not be EPL standard, but it's all we have & anyone who calls themselves a football fan, should get off their arse & attend the matches!

FFS, the toon have been playing poor football for a few seasons now but we still follow them without question... there's no reason we can't have the same passion & devotion for our local clubs as well !

The NRL is dying a slow, painful death.. leave it behind & get yourself into the 'cove' on a regular basis!

Not quite the mood I was hoping to forment, but be that as it may :D

The game has several structural problem that inhibit it's development, and some are permanent obstacles. League may be dying (hallelujah!) but that doesn't change the fact that there will never be enough money here to keep players, that there is an active media campaign to subvert football, that we are geographically isolated, mistrusted by our new Asian partners and despised by Oceania on whom we turned our backs.

It's all very well to rally the fans to lead the movement towards a brighter future for Australian football, but the league needs to think very carefully about the future. Today's announcement of two new clubs is potentially great news, but talk of an Oceania team next is outrageous. Wellington is offensive enough* but an Island team ahead of any of three areas in Melbourne or a second WA team is simply not on.

* Personal opinion but having a club from another nation, affiliated with a different association benefits our game in no way shape or form. Better for NZ to have their own serious league and include the island nations in some way. This not only dovetails nicely with NZ's "national outlook" of liberalism and fair go that we used to be known for while allowing them to take ownership of developing football in Oceania as a whole.

Not quite the mood I was hoping to forment, but be that as it may :D

The game has several structural problem that inhibit it's development, and some are permanent obstacles. League may be dying (hallelujah!) but that doesn't change the fact that there will never be enough money here to keep players, that there is an active media campaign to subvert football, that we are geographically isolated, mistrusted by our new Asian partners and despised by Oceania on whom we turned our backs.

It's all very well to rally the fans to lead the movement towards a brighter future for Australian football, but the league needs to think very carefully about the future. Today's announcement of two new clubs is potentially great news, but talk of an Oceania team next is outrageous. Wellington is offensive enough* but an Island team ahead of any of three areas in Melbourne or a second WA team is simply not on.

* Personal opinion but having a club from another nation, affiliated with a different association benefits our game in no way shape or form. Better for NZ to have their own serious league and include the island nations in some way. This not only dovetails nicely with NZ's "national outlook" of liberalism and fair go that we used to be known for while allowing them to take ownership of developing football in Oceania as a whole.

There's zero chance of a Kiwi pro league.  Not enough interest!