A possible theory/explanation...

bulivye

it appears to me that the board/Ashley want to: 1. stabilise the organisation for the long term and 2. make money.  winning trophies is only 3rd of their priorities.

it occurs to me that KK wants give priority to the silverware 1st, then make sure there's stability with the money being 3rd.  

could this not be an explanation for the "turmoil" at the club?

soz, didn't know which thread to stick this in.  mods do as you see fit with it.  :angel:

I think you've hit the nail on the head mate. The fans and Keegan are in the same boat, wanting big transfers, better contracts for players whereas the board want to save every possible penny. I don't for one second believe Keegan is happy with Faye gone and Milner going with not much time for replacmenets. It is very obvious the Owen situation has split them. If Keegan isn't given what he needs and things get done behind his back he will go and rightly so. The fans are also being kept very much in the dark, and deserve to know what is happening and what Ashley intends to do. If we fail to get some quality players in before monday then I'm afraid our magnificent support (demonstrated by the 3,000 who travelled to Coventry on a Tuesday night on the telly) have been absolutely shat on again. Since Ashley came in we have spent peanuts on players as it has all been practically been recouped by sales of players. Much more is needed to make us a force but as mentioned, I don't think this is our owner's first priority.

well it's a head/heart thing.  KK has his heart on his sleeve, the board are being logical...

There is no room for logic in football..

:D

that makes sense!  :lol:

:lol:

Thats just it though, we are not used to this club showing logic, the whole Mike Ashley way of doing things is going to take some getting used too, everyone hated Fat Fred but we are all still so used to seeing the club blow massive money on one player and getting everyone excited. Fred's way did not work now its Mikes turn and we need to be patient, its not going to be easy but its how its going to be so there is no point fighting against it. He knows we need players and he also knows its not easy to run a club and make a profit from it, the mans not daft we must have more faith in him and his logic..

well it's a head/heart thing.   KK has his heart on his sleeve, the board are being logical...

that makes sense!   :lol:

Thats just it though, we are not used to this club showing logic, the whole Mike Ashley way of doing things is going to take some getting used too, everyone hated Fat Fred but we are all still so used to seeing the club blow massive money on one player and getting everyone excited. Fred's way did not work now its Mikes turn and we need to be patient, its not going to be easy but its how its going to be so there is no point fighting against it. He knows we need players and he also knows its not easy to run a club and make a profit from it, the mans not daft we must have more faith in him and his logic..

i agree.  i wasn't trying to pass judgement with my theory, just offer an explanation.  i want long term stability at NUFC.  i suppose most supporters do.  i also want KK as mgr of a free-flowing football team that plays the beautiful game in a way that's enjoyable to watch.  i guess my question is, can we have BOTH? :dontknow:

well it's a head/heart thing.  KK has his heart on his sleeve, the board are being logical...

that makes sense!  :lol:

i agree.  i wasn't trying to pass judgement with my theory, just offer an explanation.  i want long term stability at NUFC.  i suppose most supporters do.  i also want KK as mgr of a free-flowing football team that plays the beautiful game in a way that's enjoyable to watch.  i guess my question is, can we have BOTH? :dontknow:

I guess we will find out mate, one way or the other the season will carry on whether we have enough players or not .

One thing is for sure though, at this late stage of the window we cannot afford to let players leave to bring in funds, spend now and try to get some back in January, there is just not enough time to get in what we need and replace others too

Guest Brazilianbob

well it's a head/heart thing.   KK has his heart on his sleeve, the board are being logical...

that makes sense!   :lol:

But.... How many years do the fans have to remain patient before we are successful?  Personally I have been patient for nigh on 42 years.  Perhaps Ashley should come clean and tell the fans that he is targeting the 2038/39 season for silverware then we will all have a benchmark in sight.  Mind you I'll probably be pushing up daisies by then, but at least I can die happy knowing that I was patient!

Guest optimistic nit

I think you've hit the nail on the head mate. The fans and Keegan are in the same boat, wanting big transfers, better contracts for players whereas the board want to save every possible penny. I don't for one second believe Keegan is happy with Faye gone and Milner going with not much time for replacmenets. It is very obvious the Owen situation has split them. If Keegan isn't given what he needs and things get done behind his back he will go and rightly so. The fans are also being kept very much in the dark, and deserve to know what is happening and what Ashley intends to do. If we fail to get some quality players in before monday then I'm afraid our magnificent support (demonstrated by the 3,000 who travelled to Coventry on a Tuesday night on the telly) have been absolutely shat on again. Since Ashley came in we have spent peanuts on players as it has all been practically been recouped by sales of players. Much more is needed to make us a force but as mentioned, I don't think this is our owner's first priority.

mike ashley seems to me to be in this for the enjoyment rather than the financial gains of football tbh.

i would say that selling milner for 8million would give us a better chance for silverwhere than giving him a new contract. the same would have been true if we'd sold smith for 3 million. i dont like the sale of faye though, but keegan may have agreed for all we know.

it appears to me that the board/Ashley want to: 1. stabilise the organisation for the long term and 2. make money.  winning trophies is only 3rd of their priorities.

it occurs to me that KK wants give priority to the silverware 1st, then make sure there's stability with the money being 3rd. 

could this not be an explanation for the "turmoil" at the club?

soz, didn't know which thread to stick this in.  mods do as you see fit with it.  :angel:

To paraphrase Mike Ashley himself:

"If I wanted to make money, I'd have many better things to invest in than Newcastle United."

Guest optimistic nit

well it's a head/heart thing.   KK has his heart on his sleeve, the board are being logical...

that makes sense!   :lol:

But.... How many years do the fans have to remain patient before we are successful?  Personally I have been patient for nigh on 42 years.  Perhaps Ashley should come clean and tell the fans that he is targeting the 2038/39 season for silverware then we will all have a benchmark in sight.  Mind you I'll probably be pushing up daisies by then, but at least I can die happy knowing that I was patient!

no, you've been waiting for 1 year and a couple of months, if in 5 years time we are still told to be patient, something will be wrong.

Some of you go on like we have a god given right for glory, there are 20 teams in the Prem league and most of their fans have waited longer than we have.

Big name players and money spending helps but its not alwats the answer, ask the Leeds fans, at least this time the club saying "we only want the right players" really means the right players, doing a Freddy will do us no good at all, another high wages, high fee player thats a waste of time.

Yes its frustrating but things are heading in the right direction for a change, there is time left lets give them that time to get these so called right players in, if that does not happen then lets get behind our manager and his players and see what  can be done..

Guest Howaythetoon

I think the club as a whole - including everyone connected with it from owner to fans - want what is best for NUFC in the most practical, reasonable and optimistic way possible, i.e. for the club to win silverware, sign good players, play good football, make money as a business, to become a top 4 club etc. etc.

How to set about achieving all that is where the differences will lie, but then that is surely to be expected in an organisation with many layers and departments. So long as the goals are the same, I'm not concerned if people see different ways of achieving these goals, its the same in any business btw or rather at any other football club.

Just take the difference in opinions of the fans. Some want big name signings, some don't. Some couldn't care less about attractive football, some care a great deal. Some want us to get there quicker, some want us to do it gradually. Same goals though, i.e. a successful Toon on and off the pitch.

No-one can tell me KK, Ashley, Wise, Owen and whoever else don't want a successful club on and off the pitch and would do anything silly to royally screw that up. KK is no Souness, Ashley is no Freddy Shepherd, Owen is no Bellamy.

Relax people.