We have 2 days to Save our Season - The Real Panic Thread

Tsunami

Tsunami, genuine questions:

What do you think is needed to save our season?

And what do you think is a 'saved season', top 4, top 6, Europe, what?

I started the thread so people could have a go at me as a doom monger as some seem to think I am. Since then we have sold Milner and had to field Ameobi at Arsenal and bring Barton on.

A good season would be a season where we have a chance of europe or a good run in a cup, a season where we look like we are progressing would be saved.

To have any chance of doing this we need a quality: target man, a creative midfield player, a left back (not Atouba). We also need squad players in certain positions to add competition to places. Having seen Jonas on the right I think he clearly prefers the left & Milner leaving leave us short on the right wing. It's a pity we couldn't get shot of Duff whilst Zog needs to start coming good on early promise.

In fact as I look at it there's hardly a position on the pitch where we do not need to strengthen.

A few questions:

What's the problem with bringing Barton on?

He's had no pre season & isn't fit

Hence bringing him on. Surely he needs to be eased back into things, which is exactly what we're doing.

What was wrong with selling Milner for £12 million?

Nothing if we bring in better; at present we have no real wide right option (not Jonas or Geremi)

What's the problem with Jonas or Geremi? The pair of them are both better wingers than Milner.

Do you honestly think a solid top half of the table finish would not be a decent season?

If it was coupled with visible progress

Fair comment.

Aren't we on the verge of signing a creative midfielder?

Are we?

Gonzales on loan from Valencia.

Why do we need a target man so desperately?

Are you being serious?

Deadly serious. It's always a good option to have, but wouldn't say it was vital.

Do you feel Enrique is a good enough first team left back?

Don't know, KK isn't convinced

Fair enough.

If so, what's the problem with Atouba as back up?

Atouba can't defend

He can though, ever see him at Hamburg? If anything I'd be more concerned about his consistency and temperament.

Are you ever happy?

Yes, but you should always want more, stand still and you go backwards

Another fair point.

There you go

Not having a go mate, more curious than anything.

Ok no problem.

fyiw we shouldn't have had to bring Barton on, Jonas didn't look comfortable on the right & Geremi has no legs. Signing a loan player of questionable ability doesn't cut it with me - I'll be happy to be proved otherwise, Owen & Martins aren't a pair & Viduka will be injured, we do need a target man. I've seen Atouba at Basle & Spurs & he was a loose canon who couldn't defend. The German league is not of good enough quality imo to say whether he can now defend.

I'm worried that we have fans who seem happy with what we're doing.

I didn't say I was happy, but with the signings we've made so far I feel we've made steady progress.

I'd say we need another quality forward however I don't think it's essential he's a target man. I think your being rather harsh on the potential new lad, I think a loan is a much better option than going and slashing huge amounts of money on a potential flop.

Also the German League isn't good enough to judge defending but the Swiss league is?

28 hours  :frantic:

Tomorrow will be a long day for my F5 key

I've taken the day off. :lol:

Time to stock up on the popcorn for a day spent infront of SSN me thinks. Waiting for the WOwoWOWowWOowoWoWoowowWOw signing!!!  :frantic: :celb:

Guest optimistic nit

we're not standing still though tsunami. as long as we improve every season and are going in the right direction i will support the board, and we are clearly much better than last season.

we are better in the transfer market (we are, compare our signings this season to last), we play better football, we have more confidence, we look like we can beat teams, we're taking the academy seriously. all of these are massive positives for me, and the squad IS better than it was last season, we've sold 3 players in the first team (although emre was injured for most of the season) and signed three better ones, and bassong looks like he could make it 4. we also have 26 hours to sign new players.

we're not standing still though tsunami. as long as we improve every season and are going in the right direction i will support the board, and we are clearly much better than last season.

we are better in the transfer market (we are, compare our signings this season to last), we play better football, we have more confidence, we look like we can beat teams, we're taking the academy seriously. all of these are massive positives for me, and the squad IS better than it was last season, we've sold 3 players in the first team (although emre was injured for most of the season) and signed three better ones, and bassong looks like he could make it 4. we also have 26 hours to sign new players.

It is very early days to be including Collocini and Guthrie as improvements over the outgoing players. Collocini has the pedigree but could fail to adjust to this league (he wouldn't be the first) and Guthrie is still just a promising youngster who has made a good start at his new club. All in all I would say the first team has improved slightly while the squad has possibly gone backwards. It certainly hasn't been investment and improvement matching the ambition levels that have been set by Ashley and Keegan so far, and while we still depend on the likes of Ameobi and Smith to start matches or come off the bench to force things when we are losing it´s hard to claim we are moving forward significantly.