We have 2 days to Save our Season - The Real Panic Thread

Tsunami

The side & bench KK had to put out last night was embarrassing. How the f*** did we get in a position where we had to start with a half fit Ameobi is simply beyond me. He isn't even supposed to be still with us. In some ways it doesn't matter who we do or do not sign by Monday night; having to send out Ameobi away to Arsenal is a sign of incompetence by all concerned.

I'm sure the club didn't go an injury its players to enhance his chances of being started.  It's called bad luck...

Is it? Have you seen our strikers' injury records?

The side & bench KK had to put out last night was embarrassing. How the f*** did we get in a position where we had to start with a half fit Ameobi is simply beyond me. He isn't even supposed to be still with us. In some ways it doesn't matter who we do or do not sign by Monday night; having to send out Ameobi away to Arsenal is a sign of incompetence by all concerned.

I'm sure the club didn't go an injury its players to enhance his chances of being started.  It's called bad luck...

Yes a player getting injured is bad luck.  What would you call it?

The way that has been blasted about, "Mike Ashley Turns to Drink"  or  "Mike Ashley Drowns His Sorrows" or  " Mike Ashley Driven To

Drink By Poor Magpies".

He had to know they would be allover it, nothing wrong with him downing a pint at all but he must have known man he must..

Incompentence. The front men we have are all injury prone; we have needed a target man since Shearer retired and that need has become fairly desperate. It is not bad luck; nothing like bad luck. We are 3 league games into the season & our the size and make up of our squad is simply awful. To have to wait and hope for signings come the last day of the transfer window is shocking.

You have to remember here that whilst other clubs may also have struggled to buy that those have started from a stronger position than us, whilst those who were perhaps weaker have managed to stregthen their squads.

Guest optimistic nit

we've also managed to stregnthen our squad.

guthrie, jonas, colo and bassong are an improvement on faye, emre and milner, the rest of the players we sold didn't play anyway.

we need 4 players, quite badly, but then so do spurs, everton need players, they are starting a 17 year old kid who didn't play last season, blackburn have got weaker and west ham look fucked.

all the teams we are competing with have issues atm, there is no team that can honestly say it doesn't need to stregnthen in the next 2 days. We do need 4 players, but we're not any more worse off than the clubs we are competing with.

we've also managed to stregnthen our squad.

guthrie, jonas, colo and bassong are an improvement on faye, emre and milner, the rest of the players we sold didn't play anyway.

Jonas & Collocini are quality, Guthrie is ok. Look at the side we put out against Arsenal & our bench - we have weakened our squad overall. Even when we've had the expected injuries we've been able to put together a better team as a whole. We may get some signings in but personally I'm extremely disappointed in the way the club have gone about things during the summer.

I'll repeat Jonas & Collocini look quality but we should be entitled to expect an awful lot more. 

Incompentence. The front men we have are all injury prone; we have needed a target man since Shearer retired and that need has become fairly desperate. It is not bad luck; nothing like bad luck. We are 3 league games into the season & our the size and make up of our squad is simply awful. To have to wait and hope for signings come the last day of the transfer window is shocking.

You have to remember here that whilst other clubs may also have struggled to buy that those have started from a stronger position than us, whilst those who were perhaps weaker have managed to stregthen their squads.

Absolutly true. Our squad is dangerously ill equipped for the rigours of a premeirship season. This is a stark FACT yet the club have left it this late in buying players... and theres still no indication that we'll even GET these 3 players KK says he needs. Really really poor showing. I think its becoming clear that in some aspects Ashley doesnt really know how to run a football club properly.

And dont get me started on those pictures of him sinking pints at the game yesterday, boiled my piss that did.

Guest optimistic nit

should we?

i'm happy with all 4 players we have brought in, we do need 4 more and i will be dissapointed if we dont get those but if we get into a situation where we need to comprimise on keegan's mission statement of players that are quality and want to play for us then i'd rather we saved our money.

No, it's just not. Players who have records of repeat muscle strains/tears are more like to suffer recorrunces. See Duff, Dyer, Emre, Viduka etc. 

Tsunami, genuine questions:

What do you think is needed to save our season?

And what do you think is a 'saved season', top 4, top 6, Europe, what?

I started the thread so people could have a go at me as a doom monger as some seem to think I am. Since then we have sold Milner and had to field Ameobi at Arsenal and bring Barton on.

A good season would be a season where we have a chance of europe or a good run in a cup, a season where we look like we are progressing would be saved.

To have any chance of doing this we need a quality: target man, a creative midfield player, a left back (not Atouba). We also need squad players in certain positions to add competition to places. Having seen Jonas on the right I think he clearly prefers the left & Milner leaving leave us short on the right wing. It's a pity we couldn't get shot of Duff whilst Zog needs to start coming good on early promise.

In fact as I look at it there's hardly a position on the pitch where we do not need to strengthen.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

I started the thread so people could have a go at me as a doom monger as some seem to think I am. Since then we have sold Milner and had to field Ameobi at Arsenal and bring Barton on.

A good season would be a season where we have a chance of europe or a good run in a cup, a season where we look like we are progressing would be saved.

To have any chance of doing this we need a quality: target man, a creative midfield player, a left back (not Atouba). We also need squad players in certain positions to add competition to places. Having seen Jonas on the right I think he clearly prefers the left & Milner leaving leave us short on the right wing. It's a pity we couldn't get shot of Duff whilst Zog needs to start coming good on early promise.

In fact as I look at it there's hardly a position on the pitch where we do not need to strengthen.

AMEN

Very well put but of course you'll be called a doom monger.

can't be arsed to track back through 4 pages, also abit tipsy, but what does "save our season" mean?  I'm assuming qualify for Europe?  'Cos without a shadow of a doubt we won't be relegated.

In one sentence: the club progressing aided and given a chance by strengthening the side through a successful transfer window.

can't be arsed to track back through 4 pages, also abit tipsy, but what does "save our season" mean?  I'm assuming qualify for Europe?  'Cos without a shadow of a doubt we won't be relegated.

In one sentence: the club progressing aided and given a chance by strengthening the side through a successful transfer window.

OK.  Well it depends how you mean by "successful".  Its certainly successful in terms of who we've brought in compared to who we've replaced, thats a step forward and I don't think anyone can argue with that.

I agree that we've perhaps not been aided by Ashley as much as we could have, but arguably its not only down to us, but how much other clubs are prepared to allow their players to leave.  We could bid £100m for Cristiano Ronaldo tonight, but I doubt Manyoo would sell as it wouldn't allow them sufficient time to bring in a replacement.  Even had we bid for him earlier (using this as an example), then still, Manyoo might have rejected as those they would target as a replacement would not be allowed to leave by their clubs.

In all honesty I think this summer has been one of slow/relucatant movement.  We have certainly improved our squad like for like, but yes, I do still agree the squad is too small.  Now we can't do a lot to improve this, any player we get in at this moment in time is a bonus.

A few questions:

What's the problem with bringing Barton on?

What was wrong with selling Milner for £12 million?

Do you honestly think a solid top half of the table finish would not be a decent season?

Aren't we on the verge of signing a creative midfielder?

Why do we need a target man so desperately?

Do you feel Enrique is a good enough first team left back?

If so, what's the problem with Atouba as back up?

Are you ever happy?

A few questions:

He's had no pre season & isn't fit

Nothing if we bring in better; at present we have no real wide right option (not Jonas or Geremi)

Do you honestly think a solid top half of the table finish would not be a decent season?

If it was coupled with visible progress

Are we?

Are you being serious?

Don't know, KK isn't convinced

Atouba can't defend

Are you ever happy?

Yes, but you should always want more, stand still and you go backwards

There you go

Dunno if its been posted but a stat on Setanta yesterday was that we have namd a 38 player squad, of which 16 had never appeared in the Premier league. We can all do the maths to work out ths is only an "experienced" squad of 22. ( which is including Jonas, Colloccini and Bassong before anyone queries that!)  From this we appear fucked, we need to add a good few players ASAP but at the same time it shouldn't be just any players to get the numbers up! It appears we are between a rock and a hard place, do we add numbers for the sake of it, and maybe upset the balance by taking ages to gel? Or do we add two or three and hold off to January to add more quality numbers?

A few questions:

Hence bringing him on. Surely he needs to be eased back into things, which is exactly what we're doing.

Nothing if we bring in better; at present we have no real wide right option (not Jonas or Geremi)

What's the problem with Jonas or Geremi? The pair of them are both better wingers than Milner.

Fair comment.

Are we?

Gonzales on loan from Valencia.

Are you being serious?

Deadly serious. It's always a good option to have, but wouldn't say it was vital.

Fair enough.

Atouba can't defend

He can though, ever see him at Hamburg? If anything I'd be more concerned about his consistency and temperament.

Are you ever happy?

Another fair point.

There you go

Not having a go mate, more curious than anything.

A few questions:

Hence bringing him on. Surely he needs to be eased back into things, which is exactly what we're doing.

What's the problem with Jonas or Geremi? The pair of them are both better wingers than Milner.

Fair comment.

Are we?

Gonzales on loan from Valencia.

Are you being serious?

Deadly serious. It's always a good option to have, but wouldn't say it was vital.

Fair enough.

Atouba can't defend

He can though, ever see him at Hamburg? If anything I'd be more concerned about his consistency and temperament.

Are you ever happy?

Another fair point.

There you go

Not having a go mate, more curious than anything.

Ok no problem.

fyiw we shouldn't have had to bring Barton on, Jonas didn't look comfortable on the right & Geremi has no legs. Signing a loan player of questionable ability doesn't cut it with me - I'll be happy to be proved otherwise, Owen & Martins aren't a pair & Viduka will be injured, we do need a target man. I've seen Atouba at Basle & Spurs & he was a loose canon who couldn't defend. The German league is not of good enough quality imo to say whether he can now defend.

I'm worried that we have fans who seem happy with what we're doing.