Even Owen has price

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

From Sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4065693,00.html

Kevin Keegan has conceded all his Newcastle players have a price as Michael Owen's contract talks look no closer to being resolved.

The two parties have been locked in discussions with regards an extension but as yet no accord has been struck, with rumours on Friday suggesting Owen has been offered a one-year contract extension at £85,000-a-week, some £18,000-a-week less than his current deal.

Keegan is determined to keep the England international at St James' Park and is confident that a new deal will eventually be struck.

However, while he is quick to allay any fears the club's supporters may hold, Keegan admits that no player is 'untouchable', a fact reiterated by James Milner's move to Aston Villa: "I don't think any player is untouchable, that's the first thing I have got to say.

Talks ongoing

"That's not to say in any way, shape or form that we want to see Michael Owen leave this club. I certainly would not support that.

"But look around football and look what's happening, and I'm afraid a club and a manager not wanting a player to go sometimes is not enough.

"At the moment, I am sat here very relaxed about where we are. Yes, we have got a lot of injuries - that happens in football - but those players will get over the injuries, they will come back into the team and they will perform for the club.

"The fans shouldn't be worried. I am certainly not - and if I was worried, I would tell them."

Alternative headline: Keegan does not want to see Owen leave club and certainly would not support his sale.

Not as snappy, though, is it?

Guest toonlass

How many people would prefer the Owen contract to be sorted out? Its not a hard thing to do, we have shifted 8 players out the door. Wage bill cut. Give the lad his money for scoring the goals. and get him signed up.

Guest toonlass

How many people would prefer the Owen contract to be sorted out? Its not a hard thing to do, we have shifted 8 players out the door. Wage bill cut. Give the lad his money for scoring the goals. and get him signed up.

I think everyone would, but it's not as simple as "Hello, Michael. Here's a new deal. Sign here please."

To be honest, if your boss took you into the office, said, "OK, here's the deal. We think you're great, you are captain of the club, you are back to scoring ways. The fans are right behind you. We are knocking over 10% off your wages." would you sign the contract.

Aye the previous board spent silly money to get him here, but we cannot expect him to say "Aye nae bother."

Offer the lad what he wants, get him signed up and bob's you're uncle. This contract malarky is rumbling on, and has been since the end of last season. We will end up losing him for nowt if we are not careful.

Guest samtoonarmy

Your point is?

You're a numpty who is still weeping over the sale of Milner.

Good one

True though!

i think ive got over it now tho...

I think everyone would, but it's not as simple as "Hello, Michael. Here's a new deal. Sign here please."

To be honest, if your boss took you into the office, said, "OK, here's the deal. We think you're great, you are captain of the club, you are back to scoring ways. The fans are right behind you. We are knocking over 10% off your wages." would you sign the contract.

Aye the previous board spent silly money to get him here, but we cannot expect him to say "Aye nae bother."

Offer the lad what he wants, get him signed up and bob's you're uncle. This contract malarky is rumbling on, and has been since the end of last season. We will end up losing him for nowt if we are not careful.

Your first two paragraphs are going in one direction and then the final in another.

Owen will find it very, very hard to find a club who'll pay him what we are. I can't see this turning into a Liverpool situation where he fucks off for a small fee because unlike then the world isn't his oyster anymore so we shouldn't panic too much. I think progress will be made in the next few weeks and he'll sign a deal sooner rather than later.

Or we could sign a decent striker before the deadline, and play hardball with owen and his agent? How many other clubs will pay what we are for owen, and would realistically want him? Not many, if any in my opinion given his track record with injurys

Guest toonlass

TBH I would like to see us sign a decent striker before monday too, regardless of Michael Owen's contract situation. Just would like to see the lad signed up. You can't blame him though for not wanting to take a 10%+ pay cut can you?