Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

JONÁS Gutiérrez knows there will be plenty of changes this summer as Newcastle strengthen the squad for a Premier League return – but the Argentina international does not want to go anywhere.

Gutiérrez has been one of Newcastle’s star performers in the Championship and, having rejected the chance to leave last summer, there is no way he wants to depart now the Tynesiders are back in the top flight.

The 26-year-old (pictured right) did well enough in the Premier League in his first season in English football, but that first foray ended in disappointment and relegation and, with his family happy and settled in Newcastle, Gutiérrez is looking forward to the challenge of re-establishing the Magpies in the top flight.

He said: “I want to stay. My family is happy in Newcastle and that is very important for me. You never know what is going to happen in football, when we went down I said I never wanted to leave and that has not changed.

“I want to play for Newcastle United in the Premier League for the next few years. I know José (Enrique) has said he wants to play here for the rest of his career, but it is a little different for me because my home is in Argentina, not Spain, so it’s easier for him.

“I don’t know how long I’m going to be playing in Europe but if I can, I’d like to play for a lot of years here at Newcastle. I love this club.”

The former Real Mallorca winger is anticipating a busy summer of transfer activity, even though the promotion party is still in full swing on Tyneside with five games left this season. Chris Hughton is likely to have around £25m to spend in the summer with the club’s income increased by an estimated £50m on their return to the top flight.

However, owner Mike Ashley is not going to fund anything too extravagant in the transfer market as he has already pumped in £25m of his own money this season to cover losses of £500,000-a-week in the Championship.

“It’s going to be an interesting summer because there will be changes,” said Gutiérrez, who has survived whatever rough treatment has come his way from desperate Championship defenders.

“We have the time to make sure we prepare properly for next season. We have gone up with five games to go and I’m sure the manager and the owner will talk

about what needs to be done in the summer. Some players will leave, some will come in; the important thing is we have time to prepare and make sure the right decisions are made.”

Mint.

It's better that he has said the thing about home being Argentina instead of doing the usual 'I'M GOING TO STAY HERE FOREVER IT'S GREAT I LOVE NEWCASTLE' guff that we usually get before people leave. Sounds like he is happy to spend his peak years with us which is good.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100407/jonas-targets-treble-ambition_2240137_2017262

Jonas Targets Treble Ambition

By Craig Hope

WITH promotion secured, a Championship winner's medal still to play for and the World Cup looming large on the horizon, Argentinian wing ace Jonas Gutierrez admits that he is one third of the way through his season-long goals.

The Buenos Aries-born star has been one of the leading lights for Chris Hughton's side this year, his untiring left-wing endeavours complimented by three goals and seven direct assists, not to mention the countless scores which have arrived thanks to his danger-zone incursions.

Gutierrez, a regular during the qualifying campaign, also looks set for place in Diego Maradona's national squad for this summer's showcase tournament in South Africa, but, for the time being, it is club matters which are of chief concern for the Gallowgate favourite.

"At the start of the season we sat together as a team and talked about what we wanted to do," he said, "We all said that we had to get back in the Premier League.

"It has been a long season and at times has been hard, but we have achieved our goal and I am very happy.

"We now want to finish without losing a game and to win the title - that would be special for me and for the fans.

"It would be a present for them and would make all of the players very happy if we could do that.

"That is my next goal but after that, of course, there is the World Cup.

"It has been my dream since I was a little boy to play in the World Cup for my country and it's going to be a very exciting time for me.

"I hope to make the squad because that will hopefully finish off a perfect season."

Guest firetotheworks

I think we will all be keeping a close eye on Jonas at the world cup, i hope he sets it alight.

I hope he plays well....but not too well.

Na i'd love him to be absolutely amazing for Argentina, set him up nicely for the premiership. It's also good to have quality international players playing for your club.

Guest firetotheworks

Na i'd love him to be absolutely amazing for Argentina, set him up nicely for the premiership. It's also good to have quality international players playing for your club.

Aye, I just don't want any teams sniffing about.

Guest firetotheworks

He's hardly going to star on the world stage, is he?

Yeah, you're right, he has no chance against the footballing gods of Greece, Korea, and Nigeria. Whilst playing alongside shit like Messi, Higuan, Tevez and Aguero.

Aye, I just don't want any teams sniffing about.

On the other hand it'll get other players looking at us as an attractive option again.

Guest firetotheworks

He didn't manage it alongside the same players against Peru, Venezuela and Bolivia.

Who else did in that team? 'No one' is the answer you're looking for. If Argentina come good, Jonas will be a part of that.

Guest firetotheworks

But they won't and he won't stand out, James Perch nullified him, man. Good player no better than that.

...why does there have to be a rule that if one player can nullify a player, that that sets their standard? Football never, ever works like that. I remember when Jenas outdid Vieira, when Edgar outdid Ronaldo, when Scott Parker fucking outdid the Arsenal starting XI. It means nothing in one match. Like you said in another thread about Defoe, and Keane. Just because they've been outdone by a certain player, it doesn't lower their level.

Like I say if Argentina step up, then Jonas will too. If that happens then of course he'll stand out, in a team with Messi, Tevez, Aguero, Mascherano, Veron, and Higuan, he'll stick out like a sore thumb as a 'who's that!?' in the midfield if he's constantly taking players on, which he will do.

It happens to Jonas every 3rd game.

Ronaldo got an assist in that game btw. :thup:

No it doesn't.

Oh and Ronaldo passed the ball to Scholes from the left, he hardly needed to beat Edgar to pass a ball from the other side of the pitch.  The fact is Edgar had him in his pocket.  As usual you're argument makes no sense.  Ricardo Fuller gave Coloccini a bit of a raping, so that makes Coloccini shit.

Higuian  Messi

Di Maria    Veron    Jonas

Mascherano

Heinze  Samuel  Demichelis  Otamendi

That's the line-up they played against Germany and is apparently what they have settled on tactically. 4 centre halfs so Jonas doesn't have a full back to link up with in the same way he does Enrique, apparently he's in the team to just do the running all game long, covering and hastling everybody - they don't really see him as an attacking threat in the same way he is with us. Makes sense I guess because that will probably get the most out some of his best attributes (stamina and workrate).