So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

How much of Ashley's commitment was down to his own failure to check the books though?

I was originally only making the point that us getting a bazillionaire doesn't necessarily mean we'll automatically have a great owner who'll spend outrageously on any number of highly priced players (not that I'd be chuffed with that method of progressing anyway), and not getting one doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world. Lerner doesn't appear to have as much money as Ashley yet doesn't seem to have a problem letting his manager spend when he wants to.

Just hope we get lucky this time. Ashley seemed perfect in many ways at the start and it's gone horribly wrong. :(

Ashley's first 3 windows, his only time in charge, saw us spend less than £3m net on transfers

Lerner's first 3 windows saw over £25m net on transfers (£34m if you include the deferred £9m fee for curtis davies). Lerner then went on to spend £33.4m net the next transfer window (£42.4m if you include the £9m paid for Davies here rather than the summer before), anyone really think ashley would've spent that in January? Brummie, the poster on here, has even said Lerner wanted ONeill to spend MORE and didnt understand his reticence at times , though he still backed his judgement.

To match Lerner's spending over his first 4 windows Ashley would've had to commit around £65m in the Jan transfer window. totally different levels of commitment and ambition, not to mention totally different levels of trust given to their respective managers - let oneill get on with it compared to undermining and forcing out keegan.

Out of interest, where does this £3 million net spend come from?  Did we make a profit of £6 million after getting rid of Allardyce?

I'd cream if we got taken over by someone from China, or Ambani for that matter.

Why?

because they will have loads of money probably.

Mike Ashley's got plenty of money.

Ambani's got a hell of a lot more.

So?

Well having plenty of cash has had a fair bit to do with Abramovich turning Chelsea into a force, and I would imagine it had something to do with City buying Robinho. I assume we don't want another owner like Ashley who will be unwilling to spend big.

I'm not all that arsed about Abramovich/City-style spending tbh. I want someone who's in between Ashley and those lot IMO, someone who believes in organic growth and building on a solid base but at the same time not unwilling to spend to back the manager if required.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but I hope for someone like Randy Lerner. He's worth less than Ashley from a quick peek at Wikipedia btw.

Hate to bring this up but even Lerner took a season before spending big in the transfer market, his initial two transfer windows were pretty tame. Not unlike Ashley's. Keith Harris also praised Lerner for not saddling the club with debt (sound familiar?) and investing his own money. The key difference seems to be that Lerner was prepared to back O'Neill's judgement, whereas Ashley preferred Wise/Jiminez's choices.

I wouldn't call 10m after six months for Ashley Young tame tbh.

Ashley's first 3 windows, his only time in charge, saw us spend less than £3m net on transfers

Lerner's first 3 windows saw over £25m net on transfers (£34m if you include the deferred £9m fee for curtis davies). Lerner then went on to spend £33.4m net the next transfer window (£42.4m if you include the £9m paid for Davies here rather than the summer before), anyone really think ashley would've spent that in January? Brummie, the poster on here, has even said Lerner wanted ONeill to spend MORE and didnt understand his reticence at times , though he still backed his judgement.

To match Lerner's spending over his first 4 windows Ashley would've had to commit around £65m in the Jan transfer window. totally different levels of commitment and ambition, not to mention totally different levels of trust given to their respective managers - let oneill get on with it compared to undermining and forcing out keegan.

Very good points johnny and quite right, Ashley was/is a tight cunt when it comes to us. Been saying that since January though.

Just for interests of fairness etc, if you add that 65m net figure to the 62m that Lerner paid for Villa you still are nowhere near what Ashley has committed to NUFC. He will get it back but think on about what Lerner would recoup if he decided to sell.

indeed you have, and I bet you haven't had snotty pm's telling you to stop upsetting people for doing it  ;D

Out of interest, where does this £3 million net spend come from?  Did we make a profit of £6 million after getting rid of Allardyce?

is this really important, bearing in mind the state and position the club are in, thanks to Ashley trying to run the club like a 2nd hand sports shop ?

no i think we basically broke even. but your question assumes we spent £9m in Ashley's first summer, a figure usually arrived at by forgetting about the £6m we got from Ajax from Luque which takes it down to around £3m. the figures might be a million or two off but you get the general picture.

I'd cream if we got taken over by someone from China, or Ambani for that matter.

Why?

So?

Well having plenty of cash has had a fair bit to do with Abramovich turning Chelsea into a force, and I would imagine it had something to do with City buying Robinho. I assume we don't want another owner like Ashley who will be unwilling to spend big.

I'm not all that arsed about Abramovich/City-style spending tbh. I want someone who's in between Ashley and those lot IMO, someone who believes in organic growth and building on a solid base but at the same time not unwilling to spend to back the manager if required.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but I hope for someone like Randy Lerner. He's worth less than Ashley from a quick peek at Wikipedia btw.

Hate to bring this up but even Lerner took a season before spending big in the transfer market, his initial two transfer windows were pretty tame. Not unlike Ashley's. Keith Harris also praised Lerner for not saddling the club with debt (sound familiar?) and investing his own money. The key difference seems to be that Lerner was prepared to back O'Neill's judgement, whereas Ashley preferred Wise/Jiminez's choices.

I wouldnt call £10m for Collocinni tame either....

Why?

So?

I would when you look at the net spend.

Why?

So?

and 12m for Milner just about covered it. So much for being a big club.

fredbob, I think you are OK mate, but its about time you realised that big clubs are supposed to sign these players withouth having to sell other players to accomodate them. You are supposed to build quality, not replace one for one. This is in fact the policy followed by 2nd rate clubs that people have harped on about for ages, saying that we should be like them because pompey won the FA Cup and Blackburn won the League Cup. The fact is, about 60 clubs in the country are run like this, and these 2 clubs are top of these clubs, for a year or two, whereas NUFC used to be run like this too and were raised above it and have achieved consistently high league placings and regular european football as a result.

I'm trying to explain this here. Nobody can guarantee success, you can only set out to strive for it. And NUFC have to behave bigger than clubs like this.

Another fact is that Keegan and Bobby Robson also bought expensive defenders, but also bought forwards and qualified for europe, so whats the big deal ?

No NE5, you're really not in the business of starting up the same shit arguments with the same people AT ALL. Fuck me.

Don't reply Mick. Please.

I'm quite surprised you don't think its a relevant question. Is it because its being made by me ?

Because I'm quite serious. I think this sort of stuff is pretty much by the by now, and should be taking a back seat against whatever is needed to get the club out of trouble.

Why?

So?

fredbob, I think you are OK mate, but its about time you realised that big clubs are supposed to sign these players withouth having to sell other players to accomodate them. You are supposed to build quality, not replace one for one. This is in fact the policy followed by 2nd rate clubs that people have harped on about for ages, saying that we should be like them because pompey won the FA Cup and Blackburn won the League Cup. The fact is, about 60 clubs in the country are run like this, and these 2 clubs are top of these clubs, whereas NUFC used to be run like this too and were raised above it and have achieved consistently high league placings and regular european football as a result.

I'm trying to explain this here. Nobody can guarantee success, you can only set out to strive for it. And NUFC have to behave bigger than clubs like this.

Another fact is that Keegan and Bobby Robson also bought expensive defenders, but also bought forwards and qualified for europe, so whats the big deal ?

Would you turn down £12 m for Milner?

Why?

So?

fredbob, I think you are OK mate, but its about time you realised that big clubs are supposed to sign these players withouth having to sell other players to accomodate them. You are supposed to build quality, not replace one for one. This is in fact the policy followed by 2nd rate clubs that people have harped on about for ages, saying that we should be like them because pompey won the FA Cup and Blackburn won the League Cup. The fact is, about 60 clubs in the country are run like this, and these 2 clubs are top of these clubs, whereas NUFC used to be run like this too and were raised above it and have achieved consistently high league placings and regular european football as a result.

as has been said, look at the overall spend and look at the fact that they didn't even allow their own manager the money to replace him, in fact they replaced him with a player he didn't even want for half the money.

Now, THAT my friend, is straight back to the days of McKeag, Westwood etc.....right back to it. Take my word for it. No wonder Keegan walked out.

No NE5, you're really not in the business of starting up the same shit arguments with the same people AT ALL. Fuck me.

I'm quite surprised you don't think its a relevant question. Is it because its being made by me ?

Because I'm quite serious. I think this sort of stuff is pretty much by the by now, and should be taking a back seat against whatever is needed to get the club out of trouble.

He asked a perfectly valid question 'out of interest'. Johnny answered it. Are people to consult you on whether questions are important, like? :lol:

I'm fucking shitting it about what's going to happen next. Hate all this waiting for something to happen.

Agreed. I can't decide whether Harris's(?) suddenly regular comments are helping me or not.

He asked a perfectly valid question 'out of interest'. Johnny answered it. Are people to consult you on whether questions are important, like? :lol:

and nobody has ever butted in on me when I am asking and debating something with somebody.

Dave, this is pretty big double standards here. Sorry like but its true.

Are you going to lecture everybody who butts in on someone else's discussion ?

Word fail me. I think its deflecting from the main issue and pretty much unimportant. I accept if you don't agree with this, but why don't you apply consistent standards to other posters ?

Why?

So?

as has been said, look at the overall spend and look at the fact that they didn't even allow their own manager the money to replace him, in fact they replaced him with a player he didn't even want for half the money.

Now, THAT my friend, is straight back to the days of McKeag, Westwood etc.....right back to it. Take my word for it. No wonder Keegan walked out.

That wasnt the question - the question is would you turn down £12m for milner, do you think Keegan would of turned down £12m for Milner?

Im not defending the amount he spent this window - its almost indefendable but i am defending his intentions becasue i did see enough evidence to suggest that he was looking to spend - how much this Keegan farce being a contributory factor to the lack of acivity this summer is something we just dont know yet people are choosing to ignore this and also ignore certain other snippets of evidence SUCH as the transfer record in order to pursue there personal conspiracy theories.

no i think we basically broke even. but your question assumes we spent £9m in Ashley's first summer, a figure usually arrived at by forgetting about the £6m we got from Ajax from Luque which takes it down to around £3m. the figures might be a million or two off but you get the general picture.

Allardyce has said that he had £9 million net to spend and I would think he'd have a better idea than we do, see the last bit in bold in the first post.  http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=56819.msg1523787#msg1523787

Allardyce has said that he had £9 million net to spend and I would think he'd have a better idea than we do, see the last bit in bold in the first post.  http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=56819.msg1523787#msg1523787

after one of our matches richard keys also said he had a net spend of £8m and allardyce, who was also in the studio said "but in reality it was lower".

Why?

So?

That wasnt the question - the question is would you turn down £12m for milner, do you think Keegan would of turned down £12m for Milner?

Im not defending the amount he spent this window - its almost indefendable but i am defending his intentions becasue i did see enough evidence to suggest that he was looking to spend - how much this Keegan farce being a contributory factor to the lack of acivity this summer is something we just dont know yet people are choosing to ignore this and also ignore certain other snippets of evidence SUCH as the transfer record in order to pursue there personal conspiracy theories.

Personally - because unlike some people I won't ignore obvious questions - I would take it. But I would expect that in the overall picture would be that I would be given that very money to spend as I please, and also as manager as one of the biggest clubs in the country, more as well as that. In fact, a club that is really a big club, would get the replacement through the door first.

Keegan didn't get it, so he's gone. You can't dispute it fredbob, this is why he's gone, and its all because they didn;t have the ambition or trust, or both, in their own appointed manager. Clubs that apply this philosophy willl get nowhere and it just isn't good enough for NUFC

this is a private conversation on an open message board, according to Dave.

No, it's not private, Dave just doesn't want to see a slagging match on the forum and I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

No, it's not private, Dave just doesn't want to see a slagging match on the forum and I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

its quite easy for you to reply.

Show me where it was a slagging match ? I hope he is so quick when people have a go at me when I'm not particularly addressing them, but somehow I don;t think he will.

Its a serious observation. I think that as a supporter of the club you shouldn't be worried about a relatively small amount of money and concerning yourself more with the state the club is in thanks to it being run like a corner shop buying and selling cheap 2nd rate shite ? Oh, wait a moment ............

I don't want a slagging match either, Dave himself has said pretty much the same thing himself so I understand his stance even less.