Could a new keeper solve some problem?

Guest MrSundlofer

Guest MrSundlofer

Could a new goalkeeper solve som defensive problems at the club?

Don't get me wrong... I love having Given and Harper in the squad. And I think Given is one of the best keepers in the league.

BUT...

Our defensive problems have always been big. Who has been the goalkeeper? Given and Harper. But I don't blame them, I blame the defence and some of the defenders we have had during the years; Carr, Bramble, Marcelino, Rozehnal, O'Brien...

Imagine if Jens Lehmann comes in. I don't like him, but he is a talkative and a demanding goalkeeper and his comunication with the defence will probably work well.

Just a thought.

Still want Given as a keeper.

Thoughts?

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Don't get me wrong... I love having Given and Harper in the squad. And I think Given is one of the best keepers in the league.

BUT...

Our defensive problems have always been big. Who has been the goalkeeper? Given and Harper. But I don't blame them, I blame the defence and some of the defenders we have had during the years; Carr, Bramble, Marcelino, Rozehnal, O'Brien...

Imagine if Jens Lehmann comes in. I don't like him, but he is a talkative and a demanding goalkeeper and his comunication with the defence will probably work well.

Just a thought.

Thoughts?

With a defence of Hughes, Griffin, Bernard, Dabizas, AOB, Titus etc etc, Given was one of the main reasons we had Champions League football. Why replace one of the best in the business, especially with the club in crisis?

Ridiculous idea.

Guest Darth Toon

Probably the only single area of the pitch where we're well stocked.

Although we might need more cover for when we need to play Steve Harper up front in a few weeks time....

Guest MrSundlofer

BUT...

Just a thought.

Thoughts?

With a defence of Hughes, Griffin, Bernard, Dabizas, AOB, Titus etc etc, Given was one of the main reasons we had Champions League football. Why replace one of the best in the business, especially with the club in crisis?

Ridiculous idea.

Not an idea. A thought.

And as I wrote, I don't want to replace Given.

My point was - with a new talkative 'angry' goalkeeper in post - should it work better?

BUT...

Just a thought.

Thoughts?

:spit:  :suicide:  :haha:

Guest Gallowgate Mag

BUT...

Just a thought.

Thoughts?

Ridiculous idea.

Not an idea. A thought.

And as I wrote, I don't want to replace Given.

My point was - with a new talkative 'angry' goalkeeper in post - should it work better?

You thought of the idea tbh. ;)

BUT...

Just a thought.

Thoughts?

The problems we're experiencing now are the same problems we've been having since SBR left.  The midfield.

If the players in midfield can't hold on to the ball, can't pass it 5 yards without it going to the opposition, can't pass it into space ahead of the forwards, can't cross a ball if their lives depended on it, can't tackle, etc. etc. then you're going to see the same thing happening.  The opposition is quickly going to get hold of the ball and put our defence under pressure.  Sooner or later that pressure will lead to a goal.

With Gutiérrez in midfield at the start of the season we had pace & forward movement, someone who offered an outlet in the midfield & could link up with the forwards.  Since his injury we've had Damien Duff's ponderous indecisive midfield play & we've looked like crap with the same problems we've had for the last 5 years appearing yet again.

As has already been pointed out, we managed to get into the Champion's League with a number of technically very poor defenders, that's mainly because we had a midfield who knew what they were doing.

Put the world's greatest ever goalkeeper in this team & it won't make a blind bit of difference until the midfield sorts itself out.

Guest MrSundlofer

I'm assuming MrSundlofer means Mr Sunderland Lover.

Can be the only plausible reason why you're talking s****.

What's your problem?

What is wrong with what I just wrote? You tell me.

I you take a look in my profil you will se my full name is Henrik Sundlof if you are smart. Not a mackem. Christ!

Also a writer for the biggest swedish fansite, magpies.nu.

Now, back to football.

I see you're thinking but its quality in the middle thats the problem, and to think at one point we had too many midfielders and were thinking which to ship first. January needs some investment, good young lads high energy.  :snod: