Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

Not really, considering I don't have a problem agreeing with you (or anyone else for that matter) if my opinion is the same as yours.

You're obsessed with Mick, Ozzie and others to a ridiculous degree, and have no intention of ever even entertaining their opinions. You're always right, they're always wrong.

He's obsessed with the past.

The title of this thread was intended to be provocative and make us think about the post Ashley era now he has been hounded out.

Even NE5 has to realise that whether FFS and Co gave us courageous and successful leadership or whether they gave reckless leadership leading towards oblivion, it doesn't really matter any more. They are not coming back.

It would be good if he could tell us what he wants post Ashley in specific real world terms rather than continuously using abstract expressions such as  its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.  

We ALL know that and we ALL want that, it's just that a lot of us thought that's what Ashley was doing until Keegan walked and he may just still be our best chance.

If you want him out then specify what will improve our situation, but with specifics please not just "Ashley's s****, Keegan's a messiah, the old board were great" type remarks which frankly any retard can spout.

no, I'm not obsessed with the past. But you should learn from the past. I only used ex directors of the club to try and point out that showing ambition for the club was a matter of choice and not automatic, which appeared to be what many people thought.

Sadly, they have found out the hard way re recent events and witnessing new people running the club who have not chosen to take this route.

Looking forward, we need owners of the club who have the desire to succeed and the understanding of how to do it in terms of running one of the biggest clubs in the country. Until that happens, we won't match the european qualifications and the champions League run etc, and that is not looking in the past at all, its pointing out the blatantly obvious that many people chose to ignore and sadly STILL choose to ignore. The conclusion being - in keeping with your thread title - that any suggestion that Ashley is anywhere near being better than even the Halls and Shepherd, never mind the best ever, is ridiculous and utter nonsense.

It was fairly easy for me [and one or two others] to see the signs of the direction the club was going by the way, having seen it before. All it takes is to open your eyes.

he didn't put money in to the team (ie, the thing us fans follow) though, he put it into paying off debts that he had no choice but to pay off, and others that would prove to be an investment and save him money through avoiding future interest payments.

seems like ive had to point this out a million times before, but im sick of that particular canard.

You have to keep pointing it out because from a financial perspective it doesnt back up the position you are taking. Debt is fine but no debt is better because debt has a cost, r. I wont go into the models for you.

I'm sick of reading the opinions of people on finance and business who are not qualified to open their mouths on the subject. However, we all have a cross to bear Johnny.

aye, the same old people still defending it, as we hurtle down towards where the Halls and Shepherd found us.

You have to acknowledge at some point that Shepherd had stopped spending on the team, that's how Roeder had one of the weakest squads since the days of McKeag who you keep coming back to. At the point Ashley took over the well had run dry, the big money signings had put the club into significant debt with no return following Souness reign of terror, and Roeder's bumbling ineptness. There was no Europe, we were doing s*** at that point.

This isn't a defence of Ashley, btw, just bringing some perspective.

comes back to a point also mentioned before though. You may think that Roeder was "inept" or whatever, but if you want to compare the 2 regimes ie McKeag etc and Shepherd/Hall etc, then where we were under Roeder was deemed success [not s***] under the McKeags and his cronies.

Thats also a perspective.

Understand ? Its called "higher expectation", which I've mentioned in the Shepherds Legacy thread, as well as other threads in the past.

If you just want to pick selective periods to support your POV, then I would say that the most successful period we had was when SJH was the Chairman. As soon as Shepherd took the reigns, the rot set in. Under Hall we went from being 2nd in the league to struggling against relegation due to Shepherd's tenure. This is also an undeniable fact.

the most successful period was when Keegan was manager mate.

Nowt to do with the chairman. Its the players and managers who are responsible for winning games. You would come across a lot better if like other people you dropped this infatuation with personality driven agendas. Sir John did nothing without the backing and support of his fellow board members, because on his own he was a minority shareholder and couldn't have done it on his own. This situation is exactly the same as the one that Shepherd presided over too.

I would like someone - like yourself - to tell me how much more ambition they think the club could show than to succeed Keegan with a manager who had won league titles with 2 different clubs, and won 3 manager of the year awards and 2 FA Cups. And I'm certainly not talking about Joe Kinnear.

If you read any of my previous posts going back some while now, I have said like you, that I would love an owner who would back Keegan with the funds he requires. Unlike Shepherd I wouldn't even demand a trophy or a CL spot at the end of it.

Hopefully we aren't too far from that day right now.

It won't be Shepherd though, he's trying to buy some club in Spain for £40m.

Well, it doesn't bother me if the new owner has green hair, tells the world that the mackems are s****, goes to brothels 7 days a week, launders drugs, and hires top lawyers to get him off speeding tickets, so long as he backs his managers and understands that its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.

We are miles away from a CL spot and matching the s**** old board mate.

the s**** old board of 2004 onwards ?

you mean the board that finished 7th ? LIke the board -pre 1992 who only finished in the top 7 twice in over 40 years ? Good comparions, aye. It should tell you what  a s**** board really is

mcfaul 8th in a league with more teams in compares prettty well. must've been a fantastic board

would you also say that Bob Murray was a good chairman because the mackems  also finished in good positions twice under Peter Reid ? [ie twice in 20 years or so of Murray]

bluelaugh.gif

the first time they finished 7th he was doing well,after that he done poorly. kind of ironic isn't it ?

well, twice in 20 years, , like McKeag etc and I would give you your point. Unfortunately, as much as you might want to convince yourself otherwise, the Halls and Shepherd did rather better than that.

The mackems over the past 20 years are what NUFC were like before the Halls and Shepherd. I've said this before, there might just be a few more listening and understand now. Is it beyond your comprehension that before they came we were level with the mackems and competing at their lower level, whereas now they have gone we are now heading fast back to those inferior standards and league placings where they found us ?

Not really, considering I don't have a problem agreeing with you (or anyone else for that matter) if my opinion is the same as yours.

You're obsessed with Mick, Ozzie and others to a ridiculous degree, and have no intention of ever even entertaining their opinions. You're always right, they're always wrong.

The title of this thread was intended to be provocative and make us think about the post Ashley era now he has been hounded out.

Even NE5 has to realise that whether FFS and Co gave us courageous and successful leadership or whether they gave reckless leadership leading towards oblivion, it doesn't really matter any more. They are not coming back.

It would be good if he could tell us what he wants post Ashley in specific real world terms rather than continuously using abstract expressions such as  its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.  

We ALL know that and we ALL want that, it's just that a lot of us thought that's what Ashley was doing until Keegan walked and he may just still be our best chance.

If you want him out then specify what will improve our situation, but with specifics please not just "Ashley's s****, Keegan's a messiah, the old board were great" type remarks which frankly any retard can spout.

no, I'm not obsessed with the past. But you should learn from the past. I only used ex directors of the club to try and point out that showing ambition for the club was a matter of choice and not automatic, which appeared to be what many people thought.

Sadly, they have found out the hard way re recent events and witnessing new people running the club who have not chosen to take this route.

Looking forward, we need owners of the club who have the desire to succeed and the understanding of how to do it in terms of running one of the biggest clubs in the country. Until that happens, we won't match the european qualifications and the champions League run etc, and that is not looking in the past at all, its pointing out the blatantly obvious that many people chose to ignore and sadly STILL choose to ignore. The conclusion being - in keeping with your thread title - that any suggestion that Ashley is anywhere near being better than even the Halls and Shepherd, never mind the best ever, is ridiculous and utter nonsense.

It was fairly easy for me [and one or two others] to see the signs of the direction the club was going by the way, having seen it before. All it takes is to open your eyes.

Seeing as you have known the correct path all along, can you find us a mega-billionaire owner please? One who will back his manager to the tune of around £50m-£100m each year to prove their ambition to compete with the top 4 because according to your admirably high standards nothing less will do.

Fine. But the only names you ever mention are from the past.

So WHO do you suggest is willing to buy the club and better placed than Ashley to do that in the future ? 

So WHO do you suggest is willing to buy the club and better placed than Ashley to do that in the future ? 

well, that is the same question as "who will buy the club that will do better than the Halls and Shepherd". Sadly, the answer from most people appeared to be "anybody".

Wrong.

All I know, is that I realised early on that Ashley was getting it wrong and wasn't the bloke for us. And I only realised it, because of seeing similar actions from previous owners and didn't have blinkers on.

Seeing as you have known the correct path all along, can you find us a mega-billionaire owner please? One who will back his manager to the tune of around £50m-£100m each year to prove their ambition to compete with the top 4 because according to your admirably high standards nothing less will do.

Silly comment. Phrases like that, to be honest just don't deserve a response. I will though, and say that we don't expect the club to make profits in the transfer market when we need players and also that they should not enforce what appears to be a sell to buy policy on the manager, for a club like NUFC, especially when - in the end - they didn't even let him buy his own player with the money. 

This is fairly basic stuff here Tron mate. I don't understand why you are so blinkered that you deny the straightforward logic of it.

Silly comment. Phrases like that, to be honest just don't deserve a response. I will though, and say that we don't expect the club to make profits in the transfer market when we need players and also that they should not enforce what appears to be a sell to buy policy on the manager, for a club like NUFC, especially when - in the end - they didn't even let him buy his own player with the money. 

This is fairly basic stuff here Tron mate. I don't understand why you are so blinkered that you deny the straightforward logic of it.

You are rubbishing my figure of £50m-£100m a year but in the next breath are saying we shouldn't sell to buy. If we don't sell, then I would say that we would need to invest at least £50m for the next two or three seasons to be able to compete at the top. So the 'straightforward logic is, it will take someone with plenty of money willing to invest without looking to get a return. I'm all for it, but I don't think finding that person/consortium is going to be as straightforward as you seem to think.

well, that is the same question as "who will buy the club that will do better than the Halls and Shepherd". Sadly, the answer from most people appeared to be "anybody".

Wrong.

All I know, is that I realised early on that Ashley was getting it wrong and wasn't the bloke for us. And I only realised it, because of seeing similar actions from previous owners and didn't have blinkers on.

So we can shout about the problem but can't come up with a viable solution.

We should hound Ashley out but we have no idea who can replace him and do better.

Fine.

You are rubbishing my figure of £50m-£100m a year but in the next breath are saying we shouldn't sell to buy. If we don't sell, then I would say that we would need to invest at least £50m for the next two or three seasons to be able to compete at the top. So the 'straightforward logic is, it will take someone with plenty of money willing to invest without looking to get a return. I'm all for it, but I don't think finding that person/consortium is going to be as straightforward as you seem to think.

As I've spent the last few years or so trying to tell people who wouldn't listen that replacing the Halls and Shepherd would be far from easy, you are now telling me the same thing ?

For the record, if Ashley had showed a better understanding of football, and backed his man as much as reasonably possible [which is all I have EVER said] then he would have got more support from me personally, and if he had sold in the end to someone better placed then he would have got appreciation for his efforts. This is also ALL I have EVER said about the Halls and Shepherd too by the way, we know they could never have competed with Abramovic and some of the other new owners, but they gave it their best shot and had a go and punched the clubs weight as best they could, and improved the club massively in the process by virtue of it.

Wrong.

We should hound Ashley out but we have no idea who can replace him and do better.

Fine.

isn't this what lots of people have said about the Halls and Shepherd over the past few years, apart from the absurd notion that anybody could ?

Ashley has only himself to blame, but don't worry about him if he walks away with more money than the Halls and Shepherd ever did and got slaughtered for too.

Wrong.

Fine.

isn't this what lots of people have said about the Halls and Shepherd over the past few years, apart from the absurd notion that anybody could ?

Ashley has only himself to blame, but don't worry about him if he walks away with more money than the Halls and Shepherd ever did and got slaughtered for too.

I give up !

Wrong.

Fine.

The funny thing is NE5 used the same argument when Shepherd was here, "Name someone who will come in, buy the club and who are guaranteed to do better" of course nobody could because after all how could people on a football forum know of a billionaire who wants the club, yet now the boot is on the other foot and he's being asked that question he hasn't got a clue either.

You really couldn't make it up.

Wrong.

Fine.

I give up !

I don't know what you mean when you say "we have no idea who could do better"? Who do you have in mind ? Who do you know is interested in buying a football club ? The bloke who owns Sage ? Maybe he isn't bothered ? I don't know the answer to that, who does ?

Wrong.

Fine.

The funny thing is NE5 used the same argument when Shepherd was here, " Name someone who will come in, buy the club and who are guaranteed to do better" of course nobody could because after all how could people on a football forum know of a billionaire who wants the club, yet now the boot is on the other foot and he's being asked that question he hasn't got a clue either.

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up  mackems.gif

i see your marvellous DOF system is working really well these days ?

Wrong.

Fine.

The funny thing is NE5 used the same argument when Shepherd was here, " Name someone who will come in, buy the club and who are guaranteed to do better" of course nobody could because after all how could people on a football forum know of a billionaire who wants the club, yet now the boot is on the other foot and he's being asked that question he hasn't got a clue either.

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up  mackems.gif

What a typically unoriginal reply from you, is this where I say about you admitting Dennis Wise's signings blew your socks off?

EDIT - Btw a quick search of the word guaranteed by you throws up plenty of shit like this...

"Also please tell us, who in your opinion, meets your criteria to run the club and is guaranteed to improve our performance over the last decade where only 4 clubs have a higher average league position and qualified more for europe ?

As you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it."

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=28620.msg541938#msg541938

So now I've shown you to be a liar, can you name people who will come in with the money to buy the club and are guaranteed to move it forward?

As you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

Wrong.

Fine.

I give up !

I don't know what you mean when you say "we have no idea who could do better"? Who do you have in mind ? Who do you know is interested in buying a football club ? The bloke who owns Sage ? Maybe he isn't bothered ? I don't know the answer to that, who does ?

The subtle difference is I don't want Ashley out.

I think given time his ideas and structure would be our best chance to progress.

Guest optimistic nit

his success is nothing compared to what sjh achieved at the club. what i will say though, is that shepheard had 10 years in charge of the club, only 3 of which were anything near a success. ashley had one year, and we were moving forward, till this happened.

Guest elbee909

Two quotes here:

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up

So why is it okay for you to attribute opinions and quotes to multiple people - i.e. that supposedly everybody thought anybody could run the club better - when you then decry someone for attributing a view to you personally in much the same way?  You make stuff up yourself, it'd seem.  Can't have it both ways.

Wrong.

Fine.

What a typically unoriginal reply from you, is this where I say about you admitting Dennis Wise's signings blew your socks off?

EDIT - Btw a quick search of the word guaranteed by you throws up plenty of shit like this...

"Also please tell us, who in your opinion, meets your criteria to run the club and is guaranteed to improve our performance over the last decade where only 4 clubs have a higher average league position and qualified more for europe ?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=28620.msg541938#msg541938

So now I've shown you to be a liar, can you name people who will come in with the money to buy the club and are guaranteed to move it forward?

"meets the criteria" ? Abramovic ? Bill Gates ? Realistic or not ?

matthew lad, I reckon you too should admit that your marvellous DOF system has failed, and instead of commenting on me, comment on where I've made your mate mick to be a liar, unless you too have a personality driven agenda ?

All I know, is that Ashley has not been a good owner, so replacing him with better will be an easier job that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better  bluelaugh.gif

As YOU were one of those who appeared to suggest that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better would be easy, please explain why it hasn't been the case.

Or better still, bugger off and play on the internet with your phone or something. Or throw a strop ie throw your toys out of the pram again, the very thing you accuse Keegan of doing.

I've no intention of getting into a row with you and getting banned again by the way. So thats it I'm afraid. You can go back onto the Spurs message boards telling them how wonderful they are, and how pleased you are that we are following their lead.

Wrong.

Fine.

I give up !

The subtle difference is I don't want Ashley out.

I think given time his ideas and structure would be our best chance to progress.

I don't agree.

Wrong.

Fine.

matthew lad, I reckon you too should admit that your marvellous DOF system has failed, and instead of commenting on me, comment on where I've made your mate mick to be a liar, unless you too have a personality driven agenda ?

All I know, is that Ashley has not been a good owner, so replacing him with better will be an easier job that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better  bluelaugh.gif

As YOU were one of those who appeared to suggest that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better would be easy, please explain why it hasn't been the case.

Or better still, bugger off and play on the internet with your phone or something. Or throw a strop ie throw your toys out of the pram again, the very thing you accuse Keegan of doing.

I've no intention of getting into a row with you and getting banned again by the way. So thats it I'm afraid. You can go back onto the Spurs message boards telling them how wonderful they are, and how pleased you are that we are following their lead.

Still avoiding the question I see.

Name these people who are going to buy this club that are guaranteed to do better, as you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

Also if you knew Ashley was going to be so bad then why did you rush out and sell your shares to him at the first chance you got? Or signing up to his 3 year deal?

No surprise to see you waffling rubbish to try and avoid answering the question, no comment on me proving you a liar either, don't worry though Steve we don't want your toys coming out of the pram again. mackems.gif

Wrong.

Fine.

Still avoiding the question I see.

Name these people who are going to buy this club that are guaranteed to do better, as you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

Also if you knew Ashley was going to be so bad then why did you rush out and sell your shares to him at the first chance you got? Or signing up to his 3 year deal?

No surprise to see you waffling rubbish to try and avoid answering the question, no comment on me proving you a liar either, don't worry though Steve we don't want your toys coming out of the pram again. mackems.gif

haha.........as if I was able to hold onto my few shares when Ashley bought over 90% and enforced the sale.  Are you always so dumb ?

Why didn't you buy any by the way ? Were you just about to embark on the 100 games you've seen in your life in 27 years  bluelaugh.gif

I'm not a liar, but your mate mick is. Proven.

I don't know who will take over the club, but its easier to improve on someone doing badly than someone doing well.

Have a good time on the Spurs message boards.

Bye.

Two quotes here:

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up

So why is it okay for you to attribute opinions and quotes to multiple people - i.e. that supposedly everybody thought anybody could run the club better - when you then decry someone for attributing a view to you personally in much the same way?  You make stuff up yourself, it'd seem.  Can't have it both ways.

because the vast majority of people DID imply that qualifying regularly for europe was "shite" and pretty much anybody would do better, as if by right.