Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

the daft thing is we actually finished on 2 more points the season we finished 7th than we did under Bob with the 5th. How we did that I dont know because we were absolute s**** that season. From March onwards it just seemed that Zog, Titus and even Shola ffs just came into their own.

I think that was more to do with other teams' failings the season we finished 5th tbh.

NE5, do you think Hearts fans should be delighted, and should keep Romanov as Chairman since 3-4 years ago they finished in a CL qualifying position, and won the FA Cup?

There's probably a Hearts equivalent of NE5 insisting precisely that.

And if you weren't shivering on the terraces while they got spanked 8-0 by Hamilton Academicals in 1963 then you've no right to disagree.

he didn't put money in to the team (ie, the thing us fans follow) though, he put it into paying off debts that he had no choice but to pay off, and others that would prove to be an investment and save him money through avoiding future interest payments.

seems like ive had to point this out a million times before, but im sick of that particular canard.

You have to keep pointing it out because from a financial perspective it doesnt back up the position you are taking. Debt is fine but no debt is better because debt has a cost, r. I wont go into the models for you.

I'm sick of reading the opinions of people on finance and business who are not qualified to open their mouths on the subject. However, we all have a cross to bear Johnny.

aye, the same old people still defending it, as we hurtle down towards where the Halls and Shepherd found us.

You have to acknowledge at some point that Shepherd had stopped spending on the team, that's how Roeder had one of the weakest squads since the days of McKeag who you keep coming back to. At the point Ashley took over the well had run dry, the big money signings had put the club into significant debt with no return following Souness reign of terror, and Roeder's bumbling ineptness. There was no Europe, we were doing s*** at that point.

This isn't a defence of Ashley, btw, just bringing some perspective.

comes back to a point also mentioned before though. You may think that Roeder was "inept" or whatever, but if you want to compare the 2 regimes ie McKeag etc and Shepherd/Hall etc, then where we were under Roeder was deemed success [not s***] under the McKeags and his cronies.

Thats also a perspective.

Understand ? Its called "higher expectation", which I've mentioned in the Shepherds Legacy thread, as well as other threads in the past.

If you just want to pick selective periods to support your POV, then I would say that the most successful period we had was when SJH was the Chairman. As soon as Shepherd took the reigns, the rot set in. Under Hall we went from being 2nd in the league to struggling against relegation due to Shepherd's tenure. This is also an undeniable fact.

the most successful period was when Keegan was manager mate.

Nowt to do with the chairman. Its the players and managers who are responsible for winning games. You would come across a lot better if like other people you dropped this infatuation with personality driven agendas. Sir John did nothing without the backing and support of his fellow board members, because on his own he was a minority shareholder and couldn't have done it on his own. This situation is exactly the same as the one that Shepherd presided over too.

I would like someone - like yourself - to tell me how much more ambition they think the club could show than to succeed Keegan with a manager who had won league titles with 2 different clubs, and won 3 manager of the year awards and 2 FA Cups. And I'm certainly not talking about Joe Kinnear.

If you read any of my previous posts going back some while now, I have said like you, that I would love an owner who would back Keegan with the funds he requires. Unlike Shepherd I wouldn't even demand a trophy or a CL spot at the end of it.

Hopefully we aren't too far from that day right now.

It won't be Shepherd though, he's trying to buy some club in Spain for £40m.

Well, it doesn't bother me if the new owner has green hair, tells the world that the mackems are s****, goes to brothels 7 days a week, launders drugs, and hires top lawyers to get him off speeding tickets, so long as he backs his managers and understands that its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.

We are miles away from a CL spot and matching the s**** old board mate.

the s**** old board of 2004 onwards ?

you mean the board that finished 7th ? LIke the board -pre 1992 who only finished in the top 7 twice in over 40 years ? Good comparions, aye. It should tell you what  a s**** board really is

mcfaul 8th in a league with more teams in compares prettty well. must've been a fantastic board

would you also say that Bob Murray was a good chairman because the mackems  also finished in good positions twice under Peter Reid ? [ie twice in 20 years or so of Murray]

bluelaugh.gif

tell me ne5 ..how did you feel that season we finished 7th ?.

you see i see things this way. remember the season we finished 5th with robson ? we were only 1 place behind the previous season but the gap between us that season and the one before was massive,more than one place. even though that 7th place was there most of the season was looking over our shoulders at relegation. thats why souness got sacked. that 7th place and the football played is nothing to be proud of and even if the finishing position looked decent it was far from it and did you feel optimistic on the back of it ?

NE5 prefers to spout statistics when it suits him rather than reflect honestly with perspective, so don't hold your breath on that one.

Perspective is the fact that expectations at NUFC have raised massively in the last 16 years, and league positions too in comparison to decades previously.

You would come across a lot better if like other people you dropped this infatuation with personality driven agendas.

So would you.

I don't have a personality driven agenda. I don't distort facts. Facts are that the old board run by the Shepherds and Hall are light years better than anybody else in 50 years at least, and have the european qualifications, league positions and level of interest among the clubs supporter to prove it.

I'm still waiting for your mate mick to answer my questions about the strike in the 1970's [which is part of current debate because the current situation echoes it] where I have completely shown with links that he's a bullshitter. Are you going to hound him and demand he replies, just to be consistent ?

Nice one.

thanks for confirming you also  have a personality driven agenda. Nice one, but I knew that already.

Not really, considering I don't have a problem agreeing with you (or anyone else for that matter) if my opinion is the same as yours.

You're obsessed with Mick, Ozzie and others to a ridiculous degree, and have no intention of ever even entertaining their opinions. You're always right, they're always wrong.

Not really, considering I don't have a problem agreeing with you (or anyone else for that matter) if my opinion is the same as yours.

You're obsessed with Mick, Ozzie and others to a ridiculous degree, and have no intention of ever even entertaining their opinions. You're always right, they're always wrong.

He's obsessed with the past.

The title of this thread was intended to be provocative and make us think about the post Ashley era now he has been hounded out.

Even NE5 has to realise that whether FFS and Co gave us courageous and successful leadership or whether they gave reckless leadership leading towards oblivion, it doesn't really matter any more. They are not coming back.

It would be good if he could tell us what he wants post Ashley in specific real world terms rather than continuously using abstract expressions such as  its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.  

We ALL know that and we ALL want that, it's just that a lot of us thought that's what Ashley was doing until Keegan walked and he may just still be our best chance.

If you want him out then specify what will improve our situation, but with specifics please not just "Ashley's s****, Keegan's a messiah, the old board were great" type remarks which frankly any retard can spout.

The title of this thread was intended to be provocative and make us think about the post Ashley era now he has been hounded out.

Even NE5 has to realise that whether FFS and Co gave us courageous and successful leadership or whether they gave reckless leadership leading towards oblivion, it doesn't really matter any more. They are not coming back.

It would be good if he could tell us what he wants post Ashley in specific real world terms rather than continuously using abstract expressions such as  its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.  

We ALL know that and we ALL want that, it's just that a lot of us thought that's what Ashley was doing until Keegan walked and he may just still be our best chance.

If you want him out then specify what will improve our situation, but with specifics please not just "Ashley's s****, Keegan's a messiah, the old board were great" type remarks which frankly any retard can spout.

Even if you think he might have been our best chance there's no way he's going to do anything positive with the club now. He will sell to the highest bidder (as yet unknown) and will try to tick it along keeping losses at a minimum until that happens. A quick sale has to be preferable since at least there's some chance of something constructive happening. In terms of what I would like to see - something along the lines of what Lerner has done at Villa would do for me.

Even if you think he might have been our best chance there's no way he's going to do anything positive with the club now. He will sell to the highest bidder (as yet unknown) and will try to tick it along keeping losses at a minimum until that happens. A quick sale has to be preferable since at least there's some chance of something constructive happening. In terms of what I would like to see - something along the lines of what Lerner has done at Villa would do for me.

Villa have Martin O'Neal

Sadly that's exactly what I was thinking as I watched all the insults and threats about his roots, body size etc being gratuitiously hurled post Keegan's walkout and during the Hull game.  The mob got what they wanted and now we'll all suffer.

P.S. With the present financial turmoil do you think there's any chance of a Lerner being out there and ready to invest ?

Villa have Martin O'Neal

A proven manager backed Lerner style then. Keegan could be that man - if not there are others who would take it on if they were assured of the new owners intentions.

he didn't put money in to the team (ie, the thing us fans follow) though, he put it into paying off debts that he had no choice but to pay off, and others that would prove to be an investment and save him money through avoiding future interest payments.

seems like ive had to point this out a million times before, but im sick of that particular canard.

You have to keep pointing it out because from a financial perspective it doesnt back up the position you are taking. Debt is fine but no debt is better because debt has a cost, r. I wont go into the models for you.

I'm sick of reading the opinions of people on finance and business who are not qualified to open their mouths on the subject. However, we all have a cross to bear Johnny.

aye, the same old people still defending it, as we hurtle down towards where the Halls and Shepherd found us.

You have to acknowledge at some point that Shepherd had stopped spending on the team, that's how Roeder had one of the weakest squads since the days of McKeag who you keep coming back to. At the point Ashley took over the well had run dry, the big money signings had put the club into significant debt with no return following Souness reign of terror, and Roeder's bumbling ineptness. There was no Europe, we were doing s*** at that point.

This isn't a defence of Ashley, btw, just bringing some perspective.

comes back to a point also mentioned before though. You may think that Roeder was "inept" or whatever, but if you want to compare the 2 regimes ie McKeag etc and Shepherd/Hall etc, then where we were under Roeder was deemed success [not s***] under the McKeags and his cronies.

Thats also a perspective.

Understand ? Its called "higher expectation", which I've mentioned in the Shepherds Legacy thread, as well as other threads in the past.

If you just want to pick selective periods to support your POV, then I would say that the most successful period we had was when SJH was the Chairman. As soon as Shepherd took the reigns, the rot set in. Under Hall we went from being 2nd in the league to struggling against relegation due to Shepherd's tenure. This is also an undeniable fact.

the most successful period was when Keegan was manager mate.

Nowt to do with the chairman. Its the players and managers who are responsible for winning games. You would come across a lot better if like other people you dropped this infatuation with personality driven agendas. Sir John did nothing without the backing and support of his fellow board members, because on his own he was a minority shareholder and couldn't have done it on his own. This situation is exactly the same as the one that Shepherd presided over too.

I would like someone - like yourself - to tell me how much more ambition they think the club could show than to succeed Keegan with a manager who had won league titles with 2 different clubs, and won 3 manager of the year awards and 2 FA Cups. And I'm certainly not talking about Joe Kinnear.

If you read any of my previous posts going back some while now, I have said like you, that I would love an owner who would back Keegan with the funds he requires. Unlike Shepherd I wouldn't even demand a trophy or a CL spot at the end of it.

Hopefully we aren't too far from that day right now.

It won't be Shepherd though, he's trying to buy some club in Spain for £40m.

Well, it doesn't bother me if the new owner has green hair, tells the world that the mackems are s****, goes to brothels 7 days a week, launders drugs, and hires top lawyers to get him off speeding tickets, so long as he backs his managers and understands that its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.

We are miles away from a CL spot and matching the s**** old board mate.

the s**** old board of 2004 onwards ?

you mean the board that finished 7th ? LIke the board -pre 1992 who only finished in the top 7 twice in over 40 years ? Good comparions, aye. It should tell you what  a s**** board really is

mcfaul 8th in a league with more teams in compares prettty well. must've been a fantastic board

would you also say that Bob Murray was a good chairman because the mackems  also finished in good positions twice under Peter Reid ? [ie twice in 20 years or so of Murray]

bluelaugh.gif

the first time they finished 7th he was doing well,after that he done poorly. kind of ironic isn't it ?

Villa have Martin O'Neal

A proven manager backed Lerner style then. Keegan could be that man - if not there are others who would take it on if they were assured of the new owners intentions.

A proven sensible manager who has won trophies at clubs he's been with, who is there to do a professional job and get on with things. KK on the other hand is a petulant genius who will desert ship when the going gets tough

Should be said mind, whether he was a good bloke meaning to do well, or a business shark looking to bleed the club dry (neither true IMO), it was a bit daft calling this thread "Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.", considering the events of the last few weeks.

Sadly that's exactly what I was thinking as I watched all the insults and threats about his roots, body size etc being gratuitiously hurled post Keegan's walkout and during the Hull game.  The mob got what they wanted and now we'll all suffer.

P.S. With the present financial turmoil do you think there's any chance of a Lerner being out there and ready to invest ?

There's still plenty of money about. It depends on the buyers motives. I'm really not sure you can buy a lower midtable Premiership club and achieve success on the pitch as well as run it along what might be called normal best financial practice. To get a competitive squad together there has to be  speculation and if the investor isn't in it for the love of the game the risks of the speculation not coming off can be a total turn off. If the investor gets a kick out of the club and hasn't extended himself too far in buying the club then there's a chance the fans will get what they want.

As for Ashley, apart from a failure to fully understand exactly what he'd bought and how to run it, he simply isn't rich enough to own a Premiership club and make it work.  He would have been better off buying someone like Brentford or MK Dons and he could have implemented his strategy of targetting bargain young foreign talent and implementing the continental management structure and no one would have given a toss.   

Villa have Martin O'Neal

and you can be certain O'Neill would have not stuck around if he was treated the way Keegan was.

Villa have Martin O'Neal

and you can be certain O'Neill would have not stuck around if he was treated the way Keegan was.

Not sure about that.

I love KK's style and have little time for O'Niell but he is a lot stronger mentally than Keegan and far less impetuous. He may have stuck around and fought his corner, unlike Keegan.

There's still plenty of money about. It depends on the buyers motives. I'm really not sure you can buy a lower midtable Premiership club and achieve success on the pitch as well as run it along what might be called normal best financial practice. To get a competitive squad together there has to be  speculation and if the investor isn't in it for the love of the game the risks of the speculation not coming off can be a total turn off. If the investor gets a kick out of the club and hasn't extended himself too far in buying the club then there's a chance the fans will get what they want.

As for Ashley, apart from a failure to fully understand exactly what he'd bought and how to run it, he simply isn't rich enough to own a Premiership club and make it work.  He would have been better off buying someone like Brentford or MK Dons and he could have implemented his strategy of targetting bargain young foreign talent and implementing the continental management structure and no one would have given a toss.   

I'd have thought Ashley was about as close as you're gonna get to that description right now.

I was led to believe he was rich enough, indeed one of very few Brits who would be rich enough and inclined to own a Premiership team.

Villa have Martin O'Neal

Not sure about that.

I love KK's style and have little time for O'Niell but he is a lot stronger mentally than Keegan and far less impetuous. He may have stuck around and fought his corner, unlike Keegan.

I think more likely O'Neill wouldn't have accepted the job in the first place. He doesn't like the idea of a DOF.

Keegan accepted the job and then tried to change the terms.

Ashley : GOOD POINTS -

Got rid of decaying Shepherd regime

Paid off some of club debts

Brought in Chris Mort as Chairman

FINALLY got rid of Allardyce(but should have done so immediately as he wasn't 'his man')

BAD POINTS -

Brought in Wise & Co(thereby allowing KK to be undermined about players/contracts etc)

Did NOT have hands-on approach to club

Did NOT take the correct decisions when all the problems blew up

Has caused the club to be placed in a critical position at a very difficult time, esp financially

Conclusion - a necessary evil who didn't have evil intent ; proved himself unsuited to owning a club the size of NUFC, and also, something of a poor businessman when times are tough.

The best EVER Chairman/Owner? Absolutely NOT..that has to be SJH because the club would have gone into receivership without him agreeing to take over and, despite his faults, he had genuine feeling for the club and region ...we also went from almost going into Div 3 up to being a couple of wins away from being Prem Champions during his time as Chairman.

I'd have thought Ashley was about as close as you're gonna get to that description right now.

I was led to believe he was rich enough, indeed one of very few Brits who would be rich enough and inclined to own a Premiership team.

That letter he stuck on the official website basically confirms that he over extended himself on the purchase and can't afford to fund it properly going forward. Out of his depth in so many ways.

My problem with all this is that now we have a very broad debate about ownership, it is clear that if Ashley had done one thing differently, we would be in a very different place in this debate.

If Ashley had not appointed Keegan (and taken the hit on short-term season ticket sales and kept them on a one-year basis), then we would be looking at a very differentl club with a very different perception of what we want from ownerhsip.

Basically, Ashley was about as good a British owner in terms of wealth we could expect. Our desire is to see the richest men in the world takeover our club and turn it into their plaything. All this talk of Ambani and other ultra-rich multi-billionaires is nothing but paper-talk. The events at Man City have clouded this issue for us too and served to raise expectations about the possibilities of alternative ownership. I'm really very concerned that this is all leading us down the path of inflated expectations and inevitable disappointment (yet again!).

I hope i'm wrong and the new owners are from fantasy island but i suspect that because we currently operate in the second financial tier of football clubs, that only those billionaires desperate to throw their money at something, regardless of the return, would see us as the right club to buy. I'm not sure how probable that is for now.

My problem with all this is that now we have a very broad debate about ownership, it is clear that if Ashley had done one thing differently, we would be in a very different place in this debate.

If Ashley had not appointed Keegan (and taken the hit on short-term season ticket sales and kept them on a one-year basis), then we would be looking at a very differentl club with a very different perception of what we want from ownerhsip.

Basically, Ashley was about as good a British owner in terms of wealth we could expect. Our desire is to see the richest men in the world takeover our club and turn it into their plaything. All this talk of Ambani and other ultra-rich multi-billionaires is nothing but paper-talk. The events at Man City have clouded this issue for us too and served to raise expectations about the possibilities of alternative ownership. I'm really very concerned that this is all leading us down the path of inflated expectations and inevitable disappointment (yet again!).

I hope i'm wrong and the new owners are from fantasy island but i suspect that because we currently operate in the second financial tier of football clubs, that only those billionaires desperate to throw their money at something, regardless of the return, would see us as the right club to buy. I'm not sure how probable that is for now.

Very level headed.

You'll NEVER get on Sky Sports with views like that, incidentaly they were re-running the "shoes off if you.........." protest outside SJP again on their lunch time bulletin. How embarrassing is that to most Geordies ?

Actually the two great turmoils in Wall Street and Newcastle have a common theme, theirs caused by sub prime lending and ours by sub prime supporter protests.