Allardyce - Ashley in it for the money (who'd have thought?!)

TRon

You rely on the papers for the truth in everything that has gone on at the club? 

Like the stories about the players not being there to meet Kinnear on Monday last week I presume?

Previously I have thought that the papers are always full of shite but these last few week have made me think a bit more. I still try not to believe them but after whats gone on...

I think Joe's reaction to that one off story has given us an indication of whether that story was correct or not. The "selling" stories however just didnt seem to want to go away

If Keegan was still here and hadn't walked out, Ashley wouldn't be looking to sell which renders Thespence's argument pointless though.

He was looking to sell in the summer if InterMedia Partners are to be believed.

;)

He then confirmed he was looking for an "investment partner" if he is to be believed.

I don't see what your point is in relation to what I said?  Its all just speculation you're relying on, is it not?

I believe he was looking to reduce his stake by finding investment partners. I also believe he did try to flog the club to this American crowd.

It is all "IF" you're relying on, is it not?

If Keegan was still here and hadn't walked out, Ashley wouldn't be looking to sell which renders Thespence's argument pointless though.

;)

He then confirmed he was looking for an "investment partner" if he is to be believed.

I don't see what your point is in relation to what I said?  Its all just speculation you're relying on, is it not?

I believe he was looking to reduce his stake by finding investment partners. I also believe he did try to flog the club to this American crowd.

Not really, I'm relying on what he said his plans were, rather than what some other people are saying his plans were. 

People who, if the story carried any real weight, would have had to sign a confidentiality agreement anyway.

If the press throughout the summer are to be believed (as they appear to have been right all along about the problems behind the scenes), I think the fact that the word was out that he was looking to sell, the Keegan episode made him realise it was time for him to cut his losses and run.

I dont think he was interested in the long term effort required to build the club back up to the level required to get the big money that he wanted.

I dont buy into this "cut his loss" and run - surely he'd of known he could of made a killing if he'd of left the club in a healthier situation. There doesnt seem to be any good reason to back the system over Keegan if he was always looking to sell.

We could of had the public fall out - he could of got rid of wise and given keegan and the fans what they wanted and then he could of sold with the enveryone surrounding the club happy - even that alone would of given him more of a profit.

I dont think he backed the system over Keegan. Otherwise there would have been more of a concerted and immediate effort to replace Keegan and move on.

Once Keegan walked, in my opinion, he chose selling the club over both Keegan and the system.

The whole idea that he wanted to sell all along just doesnt sit right with me - if Ashley wanted to sell, then he'd of sold when the club was at its most profitable point, he wouldnt of allowed Keegan to leave and would of given what the fans wanted. He could of spent money in Jan knowing that he could get it back inthe asking price. Selling now makes no sense whatseover without acknowledging the extreme pressure he was under from the fans.

He was in it for the long run, if anything, selling now is proof that this was the case becasue if his intention was to sell up for an early profit then even he'd of known that this time was too early to sell.

;)

Not really, I'm relying on what he said his plans were, rather than what some other people are saying his plans were. 

People who, if the story carried any real weight, would have had to sign a confidentiality agreement anyway.

You said "IF" Keegan was still here. Keegan is gone & he is selling up this is all happening now. He wanted partners because as he said football is expensive, so he was looking to reduce his stake in Newcastle United or was he expecting people to pump cash in for zero shares? As I said the whole Keegan fiasco gave him a reason to sell the lot.

;)

You said "IF" Keegan was still here. Keegan is gone & he is selling up this is all happening now. He wanted partners because as he said football is expensive, so he was looking to reduce his stake in Newcastle United or was he expecting people to pump cash in for zero shares? As I said the whole Keegan fiasco gave him a reason to sell the lot.

If anything - thats a reason not to sell the lot, in fact its a major reason not to sell the lot.

;)

If anything - thats a reason not to sell the lot, in fact its a major reason not to sell the lot.

We can go in circles for a lifetime if you keep replying, I understand your viewpoint.  I have a fluid mindset which means my opinion can change, I have seen your 40 pages with NE5 & your unwillingness to alter your opinion (as NE5 does) which makes it a waste of my time chatting with you after the first 5 or so replies. You haven't grasped the concept that every sale can not be done at peak selling time sometimes people sell because they no longer want something.

The whole idea that he wanted to sell all along just doesnt sit right with me - if Ashley wanted to sell, then he'd of sold when the club was at its most profitable point, he wouldnt of allowed Keegan to leave and would of given what the fans wanted. He could of spent money in Jan knowing that he could get it back inthe asking price. Selling now makes no sense whatseover without acknowledging the extreme pressure he was under from the fans.

He was in it for the long run, if anything, selling now is proof that this was the case becasue if his intention was to sell up for an early profit then even he'd of known that this time was too early to sell.

To be honest it didnt sit right with me all summer when these stories kept appearing. People at work would pass some comment to me and I just used to brush it all of as shit-stirring rubbish from the Newcastle-hating press.

With everything that has gone on, its made me re-evaluate it all and I just think there was something in the stories all along.

;)

We can go in circles for a lifetime if you keep replying, I understand your viewpoint.  I have a fluid mindset which means my opinion can change, I have seen your 40 pages with NE5 & your unwillingness to alter your opinion (as NE5 does) which makes it a waste of my time chatting with you after the first 5 or so replies. You haven't grasped the concept that every sale can not be done at peak selling time sometimes people sell because they no longer want something.

Oooo very cutting. Pretty ironic to be to be honest, i dont see your mindset changing that much - despite being challenged by different people.

Im actaully struggling understand the concept of a billionaire businessman who is willing to "cut his losses" and isnt looking to maximise his profits on a sale. What kind of a businessman does that??

To be honest it didnt sit right with me all summer when these stories kept appearing. People at work would pass some comment to me and I just used to brush it all of as s***-stirring rubbish from the Newcastle-hating press.

With everything that has gone on, its made me re-evaluate it all and I just think there was something in the stories all along.

Didnt he spurn an approach from ADUG and possibly even DIC? I just think he wanted to sell some shares in the club, lighten the burden on himself, i also think that if he wanted to sell, he could of definitely picked a better time, a much better time.

;)

Oooo very cutting. Pretty ironic to be to be honest, i dont see your mindset changing that much - despite being challenged by different people.

Im actaully struggling understand the concept of a billionaire businessman who is willing to "cut his losses" and isnt looking to maximise his profits on a sale. What kind of a businessman does that??

I did say: "I understand your viewpoint."

So he is a businessman, here was me thinking Mike was doing this for fun, willing to take a £20 million hit every season.

I am off to kip now, goodnight.

;)

I did say: "I understand your viewpoint."

So he is a businessman, here was me thinking Mike was doing this for fun, willing to take a £20 million hit every season.

I am off to kip now, goodnight.

abramovich is a businessman, as is fred shepherd.....what's your point

Regardless of whether or not he's right about Ashley, I'm really starting to loathe Allardyce.  I hated Souness with an absolute passion for months on end, but a year or so after he was sacked my stance towards him started to soften.  But with Allardyce, I thought he was unfairly criticized to a degree, and was a bit unlucky, despite being unwise about some things.  Yet since he left, he's done nothing to show he isn't an absolute cunt.

What company's has he bought 100% of and sold on for a profit?

I will get back to you around December

So none then, as of today's date?

None that I know of.

I am now sure he bought & sold: The Orginal Shoe Company, he made about £500K & owned it for about 10 months. This was done in 2007.

"Mike Ashley, the colourful billionaire behind the Sports Direct retail empire, caused fresh controversy yesterday by selling a shoe chain to a rival just 10 months after promising investors that he would double the size of the chain as part of Sports Direct's flotation."

"Mike Ashley, the colourful billionaire behind the Sports Direct retail empire, caused fresh controversy yesterday by selling a shoe chain to a rival just 10 months after promising investors that he would double the size of the chain as part of Sports Direct's flotation."

:doh:

I am now sure he bought & sold: The Orginal Shoe Company, he made about £500K & owned it for about 10 months. This was done in 2007.

Well found.  :thup:

Also worth mentioning though that 9-10 months later JJB are looking now to get shot of it as its a loss making venture within their retail operations?  Does that mean nasty Mike should have kept it? :doh:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/14102008/399/jjb-sports-considers-disposals.html

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/14102008/399/jjb-sports-talks-sell-chains.html

Actually, is that where you got the story from seeing as it was only written yesterday?

Well found.  :thup:

Also worth mentioning though that 9-10 months later JJB are looking now to get shot of it as its a loss making venture within their retail operations?  Does that mean nasty Mike should have kept it? :doh:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/14102008/399/jjb-sports-considers-disposals.html

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/14102008/399/jjb-sports-talks-sell-chains.html

Actually, is that where you got the story from seeing as it was only written yesterday?

I got the story from the place I quoted http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/2821456/Ashley-sells-Original-Shoe-Company-to-JJB.html cant remember how I got to that site though.

I don’t think I am the best person to answer those questions. I think what I learnt was that Saint Mike does sell businesses he owns 100% rather quickly if it is not working out for him. What I have learnt from your findings is that other companies also do this.