The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Newcastle could reignite bid to sign Rangers skipper Barry Ferguson

Feb 1 2009 By Mark Guidi

NEWCASTLE are ready to launch a £2million deadline day swoop for Rangers captain Barry Ferguson.

The midfielder has been on Joe Kinnear's radar all month and now the Toon boss is set to follow up his interest with a formal bid.

Kinnear doesn't doubt Ferguson's ability although he has reservations about the player's fitness due to a recent ankle injury.

However, MailSport understands he has asked senior Newcastle stars their thoughts on Ferguson - and they urged him to make a move for the Scotland skipper.

Ferguson - who turns 31 tomorrow - doesn't want to leave Ibrox but would not turn down a switch to Newcastle if a bid is accepted.

Gers are desperate for money and need to bring in around £3million this month to ease the pressure being put on them by their bank.

They will reluctantly accept a minimum £2m for Ferguson.

Ibrox chiefs will now wait to see if Kinnear contacts them before the closure of the transfer window at 5pm tomorrow with a bid.

FUCK OFF.

please.   :aww:

Guest MrSundlofer

I take Ferguson for £2M. We really need players in! And with Ferguson in the side we get more determination in the team. Rather have him here then playing Geremi, Cacapa or Duff in central midfield.

Guest justin99.

I take Ferguson for £2M. We really need players in! And with Ferguson in the side we get more determination in the team. Rather have him here then playing Geremi, Cacapa or Duff in central midfield.

but ferguson is complete rubbish, plus would have next to no resale value

Another player who is not good enough, on pretty high wages and will be impossible to shift. If this is the best we can muster it's becoming clear that "the system" was built around Tony Jimenez´ knowledge of European players and there´s not much imagination left now that he´s gone..

Guest LucaAltieri

I don't know why all the Ferguson hate. My jock boss, who actually watches the SPL, really rates him. Thought he was a bit unlucky with injuries while playing in England but still one of the better Scotish midfielders.

...and that was from a Celtic fan.

No idea if this is already posted but...

NEWCASTLE have failed in a beat-the-deadline bid for Liverpool’s Sami Hyypia.

But manager Joe Kinnear last night admitted interest in midfielder Miguel Veloso and striker Luis Garcia as he counts down to the close of the transfer window.

Kinnear moved for veteran Finnish defender Hyypia on Friday in the hope of landing him on a two-year deal.

But Reds boss Rafa Benitez blocked the move, insisting Hyypia could yet play a significant part in his side’s bid for silverware on three fronts.

And it is uncertain whether Hyypia himself, with a testimonial and a possible coaching role in the offing at Anfield, would have been keen on the switch.

Although 35, Hyypia was seen by Kinnear as the perfect player to organise a Newcastle back four lacking a talker.

“I just think we need somebody experienced in there,” said Kinnear. “We’ve got some decent players but it’s a communication thing.”

Newcastle have already had a loan enquiry for Veloso knocked back, and while Bolton boss Gary Megson last night bowed out of the race for the £12 million-rated Sporting Lisbon midfielder, Kinnear called him “a realistic target”.

Amid talk of United swapping left-back Jose Enrique for Garcia, Kinnear also admitted he has spoken to the Atletico Madrid striker’s agent.

But, as things stand, the only Toon transfers looking certain to go through before tomorrow’s deadline are the sale of Shay Given to Manchester City and the part-exchange deal in which Wigan will give Newcastle around £6 million and utility man Ryan Taylor for Charles N’Zogbia.

Meanwhile, Kinnear’s parting shot to N’Zogbia was to brand him “a big baby” in front of his soon-to-be former United team-mates on Friday.

“I just think Charles needs to grow up. He’s a big baby — and I’ve told him that to his face,” said Kinnear, following N’Zogbia’s vow never to play for him again after the United boss forgot his name in a TV interview.

“He says some of the most ridiculous things,” added Kinnear. “I don’t think he understands what he’s saying half the time.

“He needs to focus on his football, not all the outside things that go with it that twist his head.”

Latics boss Steve Bruce said: “It’s up to us now to convince the boy Wigan is the place for him.

“He can come and enjoy himself, come and kickstart his career if you like, where it seems to have gone a bit sour in the North East.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/02/01/united-miss-out-on-liverpool-s-sami-hyypia-79310-22827488/

Peter, Kevin & Ryan & a shed load of ££££'s in.

Given & Insomnia out.

Hopefully we spend a bit of wedge the morra.

I noticed Arca on the bench for the Boro yesterday as he speaks English, lives in the area, can play LB, LW & CM & was available for around £2 million he would be decent buy for us atm.

He's probably right about communication in the backline, in fairness to him. Not sure who else fits the bill apart from Campbell if Hyypia is staying put. Think that would be a few years too late if it happened...

No idea if this is already posted but...

NEWCASTLE have failed in a beat-the-deadline bid for Liverpool’s Sami Hyypia.

But manager Joe Kinnear last night admitted interest in midfielder Miguel Veloso and striker Luis Garcia as he counts down to the close of the transfer window.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/02/01/united-miss-out-on-liverpool-s-sami-hyypia-79310-22827488/

don`t see any quotes attributed from JFK about this supposed interest

He's probably right about communication in the backline, in fairness to him. Not sure who else fits the bill apart from Campbell if Hyypia is staying put. Think that would be a few years too late if it happened...

Things are going to change on the communication front mainly for non-eu footballers.

Not sure this has been posted or clubs are fully aware of the impact it will have:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/jan/16/tefl-football-immigration-language

Guest Howaythetoon

We'll be bringing in no-one else now, maybe a loan deal. I think that's our "spending" done.

And we've still strengthened the squad imo.

I agree slightly, in that we've brought in two players who want to be here and who will walk straight into the first team and one who will give others competition. We have lost 2 good players however, one of them arguably one of the best 'keepers in the league.

For those interested, this was the Sporting Lisbon side last night...

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel, Carriço (Romagnoli, 82 m), Polga e Caneira, Izmailov, Rochemback, João Moutinho, Vukcevic, Derlei e Liedson (Hélder Postiga, 74 m).

Treinador: Paulo Bento.

Não utilizados: Tiago, Pedro Silva, Tonel, Grimi e Adrien

Disciplina: Nada a assinalar.

We'll be bringing in no-one else now, maybe a loan deal. I think that's our "spending" done.

And we've still strengthened the squad imo.

I agree slightly, in that we've brought in two players who want to be here and who will walk straight into the first team and one who will give others competition. We have lost 2 good players however, one of them arguably one of the best 'keepers in the league.

The teams at the top need keepers like Given. His 4 or 5 wonder saves a game just keep the scoreline down, they don't win us matches.

We need a midfield, and we've been crying out for a decent midfield for about 6 years.

WEST HAM will sell Dean Ashton and Kieron Dyer at the end of the season because the Hammers hierarchy have become fed up with the injury records of both players.

Under boss Gianfranco Zola, the club is trying to slash its massive wage bill and nurture home-grown talent as well as young stars with sell-on value.

Neither striker Ashton nor midfielder Dyer fit that bill and will be moved on.

The high-earning England stars are seen as a symptom of the previous regime, which saw the Hammers brought to their knees financially by free-spending Eggert Magnusson.

It is understood Newcastle will be at the front of the queue for Ashton, 25, who, despite a string of long-term injuries, would still command a fee in the region of £12million.

He has failed to live up to the potential that once saw Spurs bid £20m for him - and many at the club believe his best days are now behind the former Norwich striker.

West Ham will accept £3m for Dyer, 30, who has broken down again after 17 months out of action since his £6m, £60,000-a-week move from Tyneside.

Zola and chief executive Scott Duxbury are keen to promote youngsters from the club’s academy as well as bringing in the likes of Savio.

The young Ugandan-born German’s fee could rise from an initial £5m up to £10m in a success-based deal.

Despite the financial problems of the Icelandic owners, West Ham were able to fund the move thanks to the £14m sale of Craig Bellamy to Manchester City.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/150396/ASHTON-AND-DYER-UP-FOR-GRABS.html

:lol:

Like we are going to spunk about £12 million on Ashton the crock.