Corner kicks

Guest rosstoon

Guest rosstoon

After Saturdays game it made me think do we practice corners on the training ground. On saturday we had 10 corner kicks not 1 of them was met by a Newcastle head. Most of them were knocked away by their first man. Surely we should be varying these and paly some short some to the near/far post some to the penalty spot etc. This is becoming more of a joke as we a consistently giving away the ball. I think the Charlton tactics was to knock it off for a corner rather than for a throw. We had 5 corners through their defence just chesting it awy.

I've never understood why any professional footballer can't kick the ball so it beats the first man and lands near the goal.

On Saturday the goalkeeping coach for Charlton was warming Carson up and he put in better crosses from next to the corner flag than we did all match.

I've never understood why any professional footballer can't kick the ball so it beats the first man and lands near the goal.

On Saturday the goalkeeping coach for Charlton was warming Carson up and he put in better crosses from next to the corner flag than we did all match.

Even more puzzling is why teams put a short player in front of the first man incase this does happen?

Though it's widely known that goalkeeping coaches are extremely good at crossing.

Guest Darth Toon

We are a team of midgets, esp when Sibbers and Shola are Injured :lol:

Exactly.

Of the outfield 10 players on Saturday, only Titus was over 6 foot tall. We don't even have smaller players (a la Speed/Shearer/Owen) who are good in the air.

We'll be OK once Emre and Martins are back though!

Though it's widely known that goalkeeping coaches are extremely good at crossing.

The guy from Corrie on The Match was better than us at corners.

We are a team of midgets, esp when Sibbers and Shola are Injured :lol:

Exactly.

Of the outfield 10 players on Saturday, only Titus was over 6 foot tall. We don't even have smaller players (a la Speed/Shearer/Owen) who are good in the air.

We'll be OK once Emre and Martins are back though!

I thought it was hilarious when we played Birmingham City last year because nearly their entire team was made up of Giants, Parker looked like a little Bairn running after people

The guy from Corrie on The Match was better than us at corners.

They all are.

Given our lack of height we're sort of stuck with either playing it short (no pun intended) to pass/shoot our way in or hoy it in the box in the hope it falls kindly to one of ours. I'm not overly worried with either tactic but what I am more than a tad annoyed with is having it lumped forward by Harper knowing full well that none of our forwards are ever going to win a header and its just gifting the ball straight back to the opposition. I don't know if its a Harper (and Given for that matter) trait, our backs or midfield not coming looking for it or a combination of the two but something should be done, we've got players who can pass the ball why not try and use them.