NUFC Captain?

Guest michaelfoster

Like Steven Taylor. :thup:

Im no huge fan of Taylor but at least he's a Newcastle player through and through.

Owen couldnt give a monkeys about us. Its awful imo that he dons the club armband,

I honestly don't think any of the players really give a fuck, if we go down they switch clubs. Simple as that for them.

As someone already said, leaders will lead and they don't need a small piece of elasticated fabric around their arm to enable them to do so.

I honestly don't think any of the players really give a fuck, if we go down they switch clubs. Simple as that for them.

As someone already said, leaders will lead and they don't need a small piece of elasticated fabric around their arm to enable them to do so.

Thats fine.

In just hate the fact that a bloke who cant wait to get away from NUFC, is our captain.

He's a cretain in my book and the sooner he's gone the better (despite his goals).

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it was Beye. Giving Owen it knowing he's got fuck all to say and has no influence on a game outside of the opposition penalty area (meaning he can go for a full 90mins in our team barely having a kick) is going too far with the 'oh he's our best player, let's bum him' ethos IMO.

Overall I still don't think it matters like.

He should never have been made captain. It's difficult enough captaining a team from the striker's position, but he doesn't seem to have leadership qualities as a personality anyway, and of course he's not committed to the club at the moment.

Trouble is, stripping him of the captaincy is a different matter from not giving him the job in the first place.

He should never have been made captain. It's difficult enough captaining a team from the striker's position, but he doesn't seem to have leadership qualities as a personality anyway, and of course he's not committed to the club at the moment.

Trouble is, stripping him of the captaincy is a different matter from not giving him the job in the first place.

this.

To be honest, the best two captain candidates we currently have at the club are Beye and Barton.

That means it should be given to Beye, because having a classless person like Barton captaining our club would make us even more of a laughing stock.

I mean, Beye has experience at it, he's captained Marseille and he's also the current captain of Senegal (I think).

Barton is the only one who bothers trying to lift players and organise things so he is the only candidate for me, then Beye.  After those two there is nobody worthy due to their lack of effort on the organising front.  Sure someone mentioned Taylor, but got to say it must be a wind up.  The only player in history who makes Woodgate look intelligent.

Guest rebel_yell12

The fact that he hasn't signed a contract that he's not been offered, I think.  Or at least, that he didn't immediately sign the one he was supposedly given in late August, seemingly hours before Keegan left, etc.

Or perhaps the fact that Owen isn't a very demonstrative player.  He's not a shouter, or a moaner, he stays out of the papers much as he can, shows up to training and matches, but is otherwise quite quiet.  From what we can gather from reading the comments of managers and fellow players, he prefers a word in the dressing room than shouting on the pitch.  He does his job without much frills and not much fanfare (from him -- he can't control how much credit or blame he gets in the papers).  For some, this is "model professional" behavior.  For others, this is signs of disinterest.  I suppose it can be read both ways.

Then there's the fact that Owen has a relatively public hobby outside football (his horse stables in Cheshire).  The man has a hobby -- a ridiculously expensive hobby, granted -- and everyone assumes he's more interested in that than his football.  Now, to be fair, as I don't know Owen personally, I can't say whether that is accurate.  He's said football is his first priority, but he's hardly going to come out and say it's just a paycheck to fund the stables, now is he?  He's also said that the horses are meant to keep him from being a "miserable git" like many retired footballers become after their careers are over because he needs some form of competition constantly...that he's not much involved aside from going to races and helping in directing development and won't be until he retires (I think his wife does quite a bit of it, actually).  I've heard some lovely Liverpool fans comment that Owen opened the stables because he was playing for a club that doesn't compete and he has to win at something to keep from going mad.  Impossible to know on this, but then, if his main hobby was golf (like Shearer's) I don't think it'd get as much attention paid it.

Honestly, before I get shouted down as merely a Michael Owen fan -- I don't mind the shouts for Beye at all (actually, a very good shout, imo).  Or even Given (though I'm not a big fan of keepers as captains, but I'm also not usually for your "box" striker in the role either).  But Barton?  Honestly?  On the pitch he's not even a good example for other players apart from his willingness to shout and moan.  Off the pitch is even worse.  This is a man who has been convicted of assaulting a teammate at training, if I'm not mistaken, as well as at least one other assault.  Is that man really the one Newcastle fans want to represent their club?  And I thought Liverpool had some mad bastards for fans.

Thanks for the reasonable post, rebel_yell12. It was very well-put and I agree with almost everything you've said.

My main problem with Owen as captain is that he's not signed on to the club past the end of the season. That's where I see a lack of commitment, at least in the long term. I suppose that doesn't mean he can't be a good captain while he's at the club, but it would be nice to have a captain who isn't going to be at another club next year (or possibly in January). If a captain leads by example, on and off the pitch, then we need a captain who wants to be here enough to not let his contract expire. And, yes, I realize that it isn't all Owen's fault. It's his right as a player to play for the club that he wants to, but perhaps he shouldn't be captain.

Guest The Wise Guy

Back off you Owen haters. Just because you hate him, it doesnt mean that you have to say that he is a bad captain or not the right person to be our captain. I believe he has great leadership skills and he always lead by example in every match that he has been playing as captain. Even if he wasnt given the armband, Im sure he would still be performing exceptionally well. If I were one of our players, the sight of Owen standing in front of the team and leading us out would already be enough to inspire me and instill confidence. So there is absolutely no reason why he should be strip off the captaincy role unless he leave the club or gets injured of course, which I think nobody want to see happening. Should that be the case though, I think Shay Given should be given the role.

HE WILL BE OUR CAPTAIN UNTIL HE GOES. There's nothing anyone can do about it. JFK, or anyone to that matter, will never take the armband from him. It doesn't matter if he's captain material or not! He already has it, get over it!

And Barton?!? We are sooo funny and entertaining club, aren't we?