Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Guest Phil K

Correct me if I'm wrong and I have may have missed something somewhere. But since we got relegated, we have had statements from our foreign stars (Beye, Jose, etc), and also from our young local lad Taylor - anyone seen or read anything from the club captain?

He was club captain by name only, not by heart.

Makes me laugh - the people who are making excuses for Owen even now.

Your comment is exactly right. Couldn't have put it better

I've said before Micheal Owen won't score without service and even then he might not score. Only a few times in his career has he ever created his own goals (argentina for example). With regular ammunition he may still score bag fulls but that's usless for relegation battlers because we haven't created regular chances all season.

On the other hand Martins is a player who can create something from nothing like against Boro, or might just force a mistake from a defender. Even though Martins had been shite, at least i felt there was a small chance with him on the pitch.

Shearer got stick for being a captain that played up front, so how Owen got the armband was beyond me. I've never seen any sort of captain material in Owen. I don't blame him for keeping his mouth shut though because the chances are whatever he says would be mocked or ignored by most quaters anyway.

His autobiography will be an interesting read.

Shearer's been watching us all season, the first thing he should have done in April was take the armband from the little c***

Somehow I don't think that would have been the right thing to do. Would have been a PR disaster, when quite frankly the club has had enough of those over the years.

And relegation isn't? We all saw it coming, I said in March that Owen probably wouldn't score for us again this season, he should have been marginalized the second Shearer came through the door

At least you were right though that's the main thing.

clearly not, I would have given my right nut for him to have done his job, keep us up and become a hero. But it didn't happen and after witnessing his lack of chances and lack of poise in front of goal against shoddy, shoddy defences before Shearer came arrived, it must have been apparent to a lot of us that it was never going to happen.

The decision to make Owen captain together with our form in the first dozen games after he was appointed manager shows just how far out of touch with football Keegan was when he came back a year past January.

I know I can't really back up this following statement, but in my opinion ...

If Owen isn't captain and say Beye or even Butt was I believe we stay up. We missed staying up by one point. I believe a more vocal and instructive leader would have at least got one more point for us this season in one of the many close calls we had when we just needed that extra push.

How demoralising it must have been to see the club captain so quiet, sour faced and dejected when were struggling.

well beye or even butt should have a long hard look at themselves if they feel they need an arm band to be vocal and lead.

I really wonder what our captain was ike off the pitch you know ...

Through all those tought imes, did he ever take it upon himself to get the guys together on an off day and just hang out and try and kick back and get the team morale up and bond a bit? Without the manager or any of the coaches around?

It's these little things that sometimes make all the difference. Owen's more likely to have been straight into his helicopter and out of the city. People talk about the owner not living in the city. The captain of the team didn't! Crazy stuff.

why couldn't anyone else do it.

did tony adams become a shrinking violet cos shearer was his captain when playing for england. no. the captain wears the armband and calls heads or tails. you don't need the arm band to lead

Adams is a bad example to quote he hid whenever England had to take penalties. Where was the 'lead by example' ethic there?

Also I remember the twat in the papers whinging that he should be the captain instead of Shearer, then criticising Al for retiring from international duty. 'I'd never turn my back on my country' he said........................before retiring from internationals himself a few games later

:jesuswept:

Guest thenorthumbrian

Owen - mercenary and passionless, arguably the worse value signing in the clubs history.

clearly not, I would have given my right nut for him to have done his job, keep us up and become a hero. But it didn't happen and after witnessing his lack of chances and lack of poise in front of goal against shoddy, shoddy defences before Shearer came arrived, it must have been apparent to a lot of us that it was never going to happen.

For some reason I think you'd be gutted if Owen was the one to keep us up.  :lol:

The decision to make Owen captain together with our form in the first dozen games after he was appointed manager shows just how far out of touch with football Keegan was when he came back a year past January.

If Owen isn't captain and say Beye or even Butt was I believe we stay up. We missed staying up by one point. I believe a more vocal and instructive leader would have at least got one more point for us this season in one of the many close calls we had when we just needed that extra push.

How demoralising it must have been to see the club captain so quiet, sour faced and dejected when were struggling.

well beye or even butt should have a long hard look at themselves if they feel they need an arm band to be vocal and lead.

Through all those tought imes, did he ever take it upon himself to get the guys together on an off day and just hang out and try and kick back and get the team morale up and bond a bit? Without the manager or any of the coaches around?

It's these little things that sometimes make all the difference. Owen's more likely to have been straight into his helicopter and out of the city. People talk about the owner not living in the city. The captain of the team didn't! Crazy stuff.

did tony adams become a shrinking violet cos shearer was his captain when playing for england. no. the captain wears the armband and calls heads or tails. you don't need the arm band to lead

Adams is a bad example to quote he hid whenever England had to take penalties. Where was the 'lead by example' ethic there?

Also I remember the t*** in the papers whinging that he should be the captain instead of Shearer, then criticising Al for retiring from international duty. 'I'd never turn my back on my country' he said........................before retiring from internationals himself a few games later

have it your way then. tony adams wasn't a leader.

Also I remember the t*** in the papers whinging that he should be the captain instead of Shearer, then criticising Al for retiring from international duty. 'I'd never turn my back on my country' he said........................before retiring from internationals himself a few games later

Well you did specifically quote Adams on England duty when he was far from a leader.

Clubwise I would agree with you but not for international duty.

Well you did specifically quote Adams on England duty when he was far from a leader.

Clubwise I would agree with you but not for international duty.

adams was still a leader in the international set up, possibly not confident about taking penalties, lets face it in the england team of the time he'd be the last oner i'd pick to take one.

Without starting a pyramid Madras I would say the time for Adams to show he was a leader was when David Batty is offering to take a penalty.

Or Gareth Southgate.

In fact did he ever step up to the mark and take the responsibility for taking a penalty himself?

Without starting a pyramid Madras I would say the time for Adams to show he was a leader was when David Batty is offering to take a penalty.

Or Gareth Southgate.

In fact did he ever step up to the mark and take the responsibility for taking a penalty himself?

Heard he took a few driving penalty points quite well on the chin in his time.

Or Gareth Southgate.

so he wasn't a leader throughout his international career cos he didn't take a penalty ?

and i would have both batty and southgate up before adams.

Seems like Owen to us is going to happen judging by how strong the rumours are.

Can't say I'm too happy as I just don't see how he would fit into our team. I'd rather not drop one of Cahill/Yak/Fellaini to accommodate him & we haven't got the players for a midfield 4 regardless.

Can't say I'm too happy as I just don't see how he would fit into our team. I'd rather not drop one of Cahill/Yak/Fellaini to accommodate him & we haven't got the players for a midfield 4 regardless.

And the fact he is aboslute fucking dogshit.

Pointless moaning about the captain situation anyhow.

Who is this other person that would have been a masterful captain for us in Owens place ?

Butt ?? The guy who clearly lead by example

Or Geremi still ?

We have no real capable leaders here anymore. Taylor is probably our best hope and the lads still young.

Who is this other person that would have been a masterful captain for us in Owens place ?

Or Geremi still ?

We have no real capable leaders here anymore. Taylor is probably our best hope and the lads still young.

Beye? :smug:

And the fact he is aboslute f***ing dogshit.

If he joins everton he'll score, lots.

:lol:

Can't see it. He is shit, finished. Wank.

Or Geremi still ?

Beye? :smug:

Probably the next best yeah. Only been here a couple years, not sure hes shown himself to be a leader either.

I see him bringing players together, but ive not seen him getting riled up or showing real leadership like Al used to.

Barton is the next guy who comes closest to that personality & that would just be disasterous.

Can't see it. He is s***, finished. w***.

Come on, realistically.

Only last season he got 7 in his last 9.

Before christmas this season he went on a run of scoring also.

like 6 in 9 games or something, that doesnt suddenly dissapear.

Looked useless after christmas granted, but so did everyone bar vidukas one game v boro.

Can't see it. He is s***, finished. w***.

Come on, realistically.

Only last season he got 7 in his last 9.

Before christmas this season he went on a run of scoring also.

like 6 in 9 games or something, that doesnt suddenly dissapear.

Looked useless after christmas granted, but so did everyone bar vidukas one game v boro.

He can't even run, unless he has a shearer-esque revitalisation I just can't see it..

Or Gareth Southgate.

so he wasn't a leader throughout his international career cos he didn't take a penalty ?

and i would have both batty and southgate up before adams.

Why?

Batty had never taken a penalty before that miss in 1998 yet he still showed more leadership qualities in doing so than Adams, who was hiding in the centre circle at the time.

Again it's back to 'lead by example'