Is subbing Martins causing these late reversals?

Parky

His injury record is ridiculous these days. I can't get my head around those who'd still take Ashton either.

I still love Bellamy though, and for that price if he stayed fit he'd be a bargain, but there's no chance of that happening. I don't think he's as good as he was when with us as well btw. He's still quick but he's definitely lost a yard.

Martins may lack ability and finesse at times, but one thing he always offers is threat. His mere presence forces opposing defenders to sit deeper, which in turn takes some of the pressure off our midfield (who, let's face it, aren't exactly technically wonderful when their game is being squeezed).

He'll never be a world class footballer but as long as he has pace (power) he'll always be a danger, and frankly we are severely lacking in players who can be put in the same category.

his threat is often outweighed by his giving the ball away too easily and poor positioning meaning when we get the ball out it comes straight back.

True, but Martins isn't exactly the only player guilty of giving the ball away too easily. We have players in far more volatile positions who give it away just as often if not more often.

Players like Viduka only offer a threat when the ball is in the box, which first requires us to be dominating the midfield and actually getting the ball into the box first. As our midfielders aren't good enough to do that, more often than not, we have to rely on the threat of a ball in-behind (or over the top of) the defence instead - there's only Martins in our squad who can really capitalize on that.

Opposing managers can blatantly see how limited we are when the game is squeezed, so as soon as that threat in-behind is removed, they literally push their defenders right up into the center of the pitch and laugh as our midfielders shit themselves at the first sign of pressure.

This.

I think it's worth pointing this out. The amount of stick both Martins and N'Zogbia get for losing the ball is funny when you consider we can't generally get the ball from one end of the pitch to the other without passing to the opposition. Generally those two lose the ball because they are at least trying to go forward with it, if we had enough movement across the pitch I'm sure passing woulkd be a lot easier for attacking players.

nail

head

someone was criticising martins movement and someone else his passing(!)...if we had a halfway decent midfield their passing would be dictating his movement and it'd be him tearing into the space between fullbacks and CB's rather than watching the ball either fly over his head or not reach him at all

From what I see Enricky and Butt are the biggest ball losers.

Bellamy linked with Celtic & City for around £5-6m. Now there's a player who could do everything Martins can't. Two years ago I wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole but I'd take him now. Think him & Owen up front would be brilliant.

Yes I'd love to see Bellamy sprinting around with Martins and Owen.

His injury record is ridiculous these days. I can't get my head around those who'd still take Ashton either.

I still love Bellamy though, and for that price if he stayed fit he'd be a bargain, but there's no chance of that happening. I don't think he's as good as he was when with us as well btw. He's still quick but he's definitely lost a yard.

Still dangerous imo and combative.

Never said he wasn't Park Life!

Never said he wasn't Park Life!

Good.  :-*

He looked the same and as quick as ever to me when playing for Wales against our lot recently.

He looked the same and as quick as ever to me when playing for Wales against our lot recently.

Maybe it was the black & white stripes then. ;)

Heskey is the perfect player for us at the moment. If we're gonna play the tactics we're doing at themoment then Heskey will be the most effective. Would be available for a very good price as well i think.

The asking price is £10m at the moment. I don't think that's so great but I'm sure Wigan would negotiate...with Villa.

Heskey is the perfect player for us at the moment. If we're gonna play the tactics we're doing at themoment then Heskey will be the most effective. Would be available for a very good price as well i think.

The asking price is £10m at the moment. I don't think that's so great but I'm sure Wigan would negotiate...with Villa.

£10m??? No way, not for a 30 year old low scoring striker in todays market? For £6m they'd be asking too much.

People don't want Bellamy or  Heskey.

Can't please some it seems.

That's because I'd rather have Zaki and pay what it takes to get him.

be interesting to see if zaki is a name anyone will remember this time next year.

be interesting to see if zaki is a name anyone will remember this time next year.

Or if Newcastle would be on Zaki's radar when it comes to chosing a club in June.

Or if Newcastle would be on Zaki's radar when it comes to chosing a club in June.

For that matter, I doubt Newcastle will be on Heskey's radar when he makes his next move.

For that matter, I doubt Newcastle will be on Heskey's radar when he makes his next move.

I think his recent rise has been very overrated, he's not gonna get the cream of the crop after him so his options arent limitless.

I think his recent rise has been very overrated, he's not gonna get the cream of the crop after him so his options arent limitless.

O'Neill has said he's keen on taking him to Villa so unless he's lying, that's the end of that I reckon.

So, are they? ;)

Been off 10 minutes and we've still been all over them. No sign of their defence pushing up further, no sign of the ball keep coming back at us, no sign of us not being a threat. Difference is, the wingers are playing well, midfielders are keeping the ball better, and the defence has been solid.