Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle – 26/12/08 - Post-match reaction from page 23

midds

was a sending off (bassong) but wasn't a pen.

not sure ours was a pen.

cattermole didn't play the man in the way some are trying to make out and those on here saying he should have walked wouldn't be saying it had it been one of ours.

How wasn't ours a penalty? :lol:

Kirkland missed the ball and punched Carroll in the head! If that's not classed as a penalty then I'm stumped as to what is.

cos it didn't seem anywhere near enough to impede the player and the keeper was going for the ball.

other way round and you wouldn't say it was a pen.

It doesn't matter if he was getting the ball or not. Keepers get away with stuff like all the time. Think that was the only good thing Dean did all match. Keepers get a free-kick for the slightest touch from a corner or whatever, and then he comes charging out, misses the ball, and punches a player in the head and expects to get away with it.

didn't punch him.more of a swipe, and had the ball fell to carroll i very much doubt he'd have gone down.

Now you're just being picky. A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player strikes or attempts to strike an opposing player. Kirkland didn't deliberately set out to hit him, but he did and was punished for it according to the letter of the law.

not sure ours was a pen.

cattermole didn't play the man in the way some are trying to make out and those on here saying he should have walked wouldn't be saying it had it been one of ours.

Kirkland missed the ball and punched Carroll in the head! If that's not classed as a penalty then I'm stumped as to what is.

cos it didn't seem anywhere near enough to impede the player and the keeper was going for the ball.

It doesn't matter if he was getting the ball or not. Keepers get away with stuff like all the time. Think that was the only good thing Dean did all match. Keepers get a free-kick for the slightest touch from a corner or whatever, and then he comes charging out, misses the ball, and punches a player in the head and expects to get away with it.

didn't punch him.more of a swipe, and had the ball fell to carroll i very much doubt he'd have gone down.

Now you're just being picky. A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player strikes or attempts to strike an opposing player. Kirkland didn't deliberately set out to hit him, but he did and was punished for it according to the letter of the law.

thats like saying if any contact is made before contact with the ball then it's a free kick

not sure ours was a pen.

thats like saying if any contact is made before contact with the ball then it's a free kick

Isn't that pretty much the exact definition of a free-kick? :lol:

Fucking hell, the keeper clobbered him in the side of the head. Looks even worse on MOTD, definatly a pen. I didn't even think it was a pen at the time.

As for Bassong, it was just a tussle, and he slighty touched Heskey and he went over like a heap of shite. Still have him here like instead of that fat cunt Viduka

It was an unusual incident but it was a penalty. Kirkland jumped and caught him around the head. The fact he would probably have missed the header anyway is irrelevant - he caught him and fouled him imo.

not sure ours was a pen.

watch a football match...thats covers almost every fair tackle

not sure ours was a pen.

No it's not. It was a strike, whether deliberate or not, because of the use of the hand. Just because a keeper is allowed to handle a ball doesn't mean he's allowed to go through somebody's face to get it.

f***ing hell, the keeper clobbered him in the side of the head. Looks even worse on MOTD, definatly a pen. I didn't even think it was a pen at the time.

As for Bassong, it was just a tussle, and he slighty touched Heskey and he went over like a heap of s****. Still have him here like instead of that fat c*** Viduka

bassong...he was pulling him back for 20yds and everyone on here would be seething if it were the other way round. definite sending off but outside the box.

not sure ours was a pen.

No it's not. A fair tackle is when the balls taken first. A free-kick is when a defender goes through the player and then gets to the ball.

f***ing hell, the keeper clobbered him in the side of the head. Looks even worse on MOTD, definatly a pen. I didn't even think it was a pen at the time.

As for Bassong, it was just a tussle, and he slighty touched Heskey and he went over like a heap of s****. Still have him here like instead of that fat c*** Viduka

bassong...he was pulling him back for 20yds and everyone on here would be seething if it were the other way round. definite sending off but outside the box.

Looking at that one again, a red-card probably was right...but like you say, a free-kick not a penalty.

not sure ours was a pen.

No it's not. A fair tackle is when the balls taken first. A free-kick is when a defender goes through the player and then gets to the ball.

so no nudges from the side,no using an arm or hand to fend someone off ?

not sure ours was a pen.

If that hand or arm is clobbering a player in the head when the balls went past, then no.

not sure ours was a pen.

None of them are classed as 'a tackle'. When you attempt to tackle the ball but make contact with the player before the ball that's a direct free kick.

not sure ours was a pen.

If that hand or arm is clobbering a player in the head when the balls went past, then no.

wasn't a clobbering.

seems very much like a case of us therefore pen. then a few weeks down the line,identical situation, them therefore no pen

not sure ours was a pen.

None of them are classed as 'a tackle'. When you attempt to tackle the ball but make contact with the player before the ball that's a direct free kick.

how many times does the arm or hand make first contact with the opposing player during a tackle/tussle and it isn't a free kick,or the hips or knees ?

i always think if a player uses his arms etc it's a free kick if it impedes the opposition...if not call it's basketball for feet.

Guest firetotheworks

not sure ours was a pen.

how many times does the arm or hand make first contact with the opposing player during a tackle/tussle and it isn't a free kick,or the hips or knees ?

i always think if a player uses his arms etc it's a free kick if it impedes the opposition...if not call it's basketball for feet.

Yes but in this case the arm was being used to go for the ball as opposed to a foot. The hand missed the ball, hit the players face and impeded him. Penalty just as much as it would be if it were a foot missing the ball taking the player and impeding him.

not sure ours was a pen.

The only time you'd get a free kick for use of the arms, hands etc. on another player is if you're impeding them - and even then it's only an indirect freekick.

The arms would only come into play when actually tackling another player in order to push through on a tackle or to maintain balance.. a foul with the arms and a foul with the legs are two different subjects and talking about use of the hips and all that is just being picky. It's not common practice to go into a slide tackle hips-first.

not sure ours was a pen.

Yes but in this case the arm was being used to go for the ball as opposed to a foot. The hand missed the ball, hit the players face and impeded him. Penalty just as much as it would be if it were a foot missing the ball taking the player and impeding him.

i see it more as the player makes an attempt for the ball,misses and touches the opposing player but nowhere near enough to impede him....however there was contact.

i'd say no pen unless i see it again and think it impeded him. which i haven't saw on three watches.

not sure ours was a pen.

i see it more as the player makes an attempt for the ball,misses and touches the opposing player but nowhere near enough to impede him....however there was contact.

i'd say no pen unless i see it again and think it impeded him. which i haven't saw on three watches.

The penalty wasn't for impeding him, it was for striking him. It sounds picky, but there it is.

not sure ours was a pen.

The penalty wasn't for impeding him, it was for striking him. It sounds picky, but there it is.

was it ? then he should've been sent off for striking an opponent. (don't watch any corners ...your head will explode)