West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leon Best got a hat trick. Triple his weekly wages?

You havent answered my last post to you mate. You should find it quite easy, dunno why you're still having a go otherwise

There's only so many ways I can say that re-negotiating a contract a few months into his current contract is bad business. No matter how much his 'valuation' has sky rocketed.

Well you havent actually explained how itd be bad business in this situation. And as i said before Tottenham did this with Bale just recently.

Guest neesy111

If Carroll did demand a new contract now and not wait until the summer.  Then most of the blame has to go onto him and his agent for this.  They've tried the old trick which Tevez and Rooney used.

Fact is, I wouldn't have given him a new contract now as well as it just struck as pure utter greed.

0. Club is happy to keep Carroll; Carroll is happy to stay.

1. £30m bid comes in from Liverpool.

2. £30m bid considered but rejected.

3. Carroll's agent starts talking to Liverpool regarding potential wages etc.

4. Carroll and agent go back to NUFC effectively saying 'Look, you now believe I'm worth more than £30m. As such I'm being offered twice the wages. You going to do anything about it?'

5. Club say no to any contract renewal, and tell player if he wants to leave to get those wages he'll have to request a transfer.

6. Player feels rejected and starts to think moving to Liverpool is a good idea, probably fueled by agent dreaming about his hefty cut.

7. £35m bid comes in.

8. NUFC seriously consider it.

9. Carroll sees this as confirmation they want to sell him, so asks to leave.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

If people want to blame someone, it should start with Carroll's agent.  This is roughly how the whole thing probably played out and the agent was probably pushing each step to conclusion.  I mean, he probably got a cracking fee from Liverpool.  He also engineered the the 6th (?!!!!!) largest transfer fee to date (for a high potential but largely unproven player).  Not only does the agent get some cash in his pocket and a big ego boost if he facilitated this whole scenario I suspect he'll add some heavy hitters to his client list.  See, this could be bad for three out of the four parties.  NUFC get what could have been a local legend pulled out from under them.  Liverpool spunk big money on what could be a spectacular flop for the money and the player goes to a club still in trouble with the burden of a huge transfer fee over his head.  The only one who definitely comes out good is the agent.  Maybe it works out for all four parties.  Still, the only sure bet for a happy ending is the agent.

OK, I have had enough, Jayson, sorry, we aren't Man City.  Your plan is always right - just not applicable to us. 

We dont need to be man city to negotiate with this specific player. Id hope that if we had enough players being massively valued by other clubs that were worth negotiating with that our club would be doing pretty well by that point anyway. Otherwise, it would ofcourse make sense not to negotiate with them & take the money as we did with Carroll

Leon Best got a hat trick. Triple his weekly wages?

You havent answered my last post to you mate. You should find it quite easy, dunno why you're still having a go otherwise

There's only so many ways I can say that re-negotiating a contract a few months into his current contract is bad business. No matter how much his 'valuation' has sky rocketed.

Agree in principle,

but it is quite normal for young players to get new contracts as they make a name for themselves.

He has gone from being a young prospect in the championship to being a top premiership striker and England international (hence the 35m valuation).

If we did want to keep him, as clearly our most valuable player I'd have hoped we would have been able to come to some compromise on the contract. Even if it was just a promise to review his contract in the summer, additional performance-related bonuses until then or something.

It sounds like we just refused to budge, that's what disappoints me the most.

Pardew, in an interview on SSN, said they told Carroll they'd review the contract in the summer, but he wanted it yesterday. I didn't imagine that, did I? :undecided: :lol:

Ah right, I'm at work.

Well even so, if both parties wanted him to stay then you'd think they could agree something. Someone is lying, that's all.

Nobody is lying. We offered to renegotiate in the summer. Carroll felt he deserved a new offer immediately to match or get close to Liverpools offer otherwise he felt he had no choice (financially) but to move.

If we did want to keep him, as clearly our most valuable player I'd have hoped we would have been able to come to some compromise on the contract. Even if it was just a promise to review his contract in the summer, additional performance-related bonuses until then or something.

Pardew, in an interview on SSN, said they told Carroll they'd review the contract in the summer, but he wanted it yesterday. I didn't imagine that, did I? :undecided: :lol:

Ah right, I'm at work.

Well even so, if both parties wanted him to stay then you'd think they could agree something. Someone is lying, that's all.

With you there, man. Can't say I trust any of them more than one another tbh.

I trust Andy a hell of a lot more than Derek tbh.

Guest johnson293

Pardew has said he was offered to renegotiate in the summer last night.

Carroll turned the offer down apparently.

Carroll himself has already claimed he was 'talking' about a new contract, and was then told no new contract when the first bid came in, and he asked 'why'.

So, it appears he was looking for improvement now, and not prepared to wait until the summer.

For those talking about his wage increase being based upon potential/new valuation - remember he is currently injured - we could have bumped his wage now, and he may not have played much more this season.

Guest neesy111

Ah right, I'm at work.

The same andy that has said he asked for new contract.  That is fact, and fits in with most of Pardews views of Events.

Disagree. Spurs current team is worth around £200m in transfermoney spend alone. Not much wheeler-dealer in that...

Bentley around £17m

Bent 16,5m

Keane 16m

Defoe 15m

Pavlyuchenko 14m

Palacios 12m

Hutton 9m

Gio 8,6m

Just to name a few of from the current team..

They are spending like crazy. Don't know where the f*** they get all that money.

Current team????????

Maybe I'm not expressing myself very clear. Not my homelanguage :-) Sorry.

Bent was a miss. Got blinded by this other article I read. Keane from Leeds for about 12m, sold to Liverpool 19-20m, bought back 15-16m. And both him, Bentley and Gio is still only out on loan. And won't get anything near what they paid in the first place...

Check it yourself if you wanna. I've looked up every player in there current squad, and even though their price often is mediaspeculation - on the lowside it still ends up being £200m in transfer.

Guest neesy111

Collymore on Twitter:

If a player has a 5 year contract,or 6 month contract,he doesn't have to go anywhere.He always will have the final say.This is fact.

0. Club is happy to keep Carroll; Carroll is happy to stay.

1. £30m bid comes in from Liverpool.

2. £30m bid considered but rejected.

3. Carroll's agent starts talking to Liverpool regarding potential wages etc.

4. Carroll and agent go back to NUFC effectively saying 'Look, you now believe I'm worth more than £30m. As such I'm being offered twice the wages. You going to do anything about it?'

5. Club say no to any contract renewal, and tell player if he wants to leave to get those wages he'll have to request a transfer.

6. Player feels rejected and starts to think moving to Liverpool is a good idea, probably fueled by agent dreaming about his hefty cut.

7. £35m bid comes in.

8. NUFC seriously consider it.

9. Carroll sees this as confirmation they want to sell him, so asks to leave.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

If people want to blame someone, it should start with Carroll's agent.  This is roughly how the whole thing probably played out and the agent was probably pushing each step to conclusion.  I mean, he probably got a cracking fee from Liverpool.  He also engineered the the 6th (?!!!!!) largest transfer fee to date (for a high potential but largely unproven player).  Not only does the agent get some cash in his pocket and a big ego boost if he facilitated this whole scenario I suspect he'll add some heavy hitters to his client list.  See, this could be bad for three out of the four parties.  NUFC get what could have been a local legend pulled out from under them.  Liverpool spunk big money on what could be a spectacular flop for the money and the player goes to a club still in trouble with the burden of a huge transfer fee over his head.  The only one who definitely comes out good is the agent.  Maybe it works out for all four parties.  Still, the only sure bet for a happy ending is the agent.

You speak sense.

Was Carroll told  how much Liverpool were willing to pay him before he asked for the new contract?

I'm sure his agent had been fully informed (the smooth and quick signing of terms with Liverpool last night would certainly suggest that too).

JH still holding onto the official line as if his life depended on it :lol:

Youre holding on to the titanic, man. It's sinking.

wtf? I'm not holding onto the official line at all.

I'm not absolving Ashley of all the blame, but the fact is Carroll handed in a transfer request (if that wasn't true, he would come out and say "I didn't hand in a transfer request"). He is yet to explain how anyone could force him to hand in a transfer request, and until he does all I can think is that he did it because he wanted to leave.

In addition to this question that JH has been asking many times over (that nobody seems to be answering), 2 additional questions remain that blow holes into the conspiracy theory

1) If Carroll didn't want to go and and didn't hand in the transfer request, then why the fuck did he agree personal terms with Liverpool? Was fat Mike sitting next to him in Anfield with a gun at his back saying..."sign the contract or you mother fucker"?

2) Given his past actions and the fact that he does not care about what we think of him, why would fat Mike suddenly be PR conscious and try to look good to the fans? Think he knows himself that it is a lost cause

Ah right, I'm at work.

The same andy that has said he asked for new contract.  That is fact, and fits in with most of Pardews views of Events.

I don't think it is Pardew that's the problem or liar, just Derek playing his  evil puppet show:
"We didn't force anybody to leave."

"I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January - where would it stop?

"Personally, I'm disappointed. He's a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can't change that. Was this about football? That's what you have to ask. I don't think it was."

vs.

"I was in talks about a new contract and talking to the gaffer about that.

"He told me that they are now not going to give me a contract. That was as soon as the offer of £30m came in.

"So I asked why (I wasn’t getting a new contract) and he said his hands were tied.

"He said it wasn’t up to him. Then a £35m bid got accepted.

"And then I was allowed to talk to Liverpool. The owner then made it clear to me that I was not wanted at the club.

"Saying that his own helicopter is waiting for me to go down to talk to them.

"So being shown I’m not wanted I said OK I will talk to them. Then suddenly the bid was rejected.

"And then Derek asked me to hand in a transfer request. So I was pushed into a corner and had no choice.

"I wasn’t wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money.

"Then I flew down in his (Ashley’s) helicopter. I didn’t want to leave.

"I’m gutted that I wasn’t wanted at my home team after everything I’ve done and progress I’ve made.

"I didn’t want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn’t want to leave.

"The players, staff and fans were fantastic."

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The thought of the evil midget puppet monster Derek Llambias, backing the monster manboy Andy Carroll into a corner cowering in fear.  :lol:

Was Carroll told  how much Liverpool were willing to pay him before he asked for the new contract?

I'm sure his agent had been fully informed (the smooth and quick signing of terms with Liverpool last night would certainly suggest that too).

If this was prior to the bid being accepted and Carroll being allowed to speak to Liverpool, is that not considered tapping up?