West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We keep going full circle on this again and again and again. It's like this thread is on a loop :lol:

And will be for the next 10 years or so.

Carroll is going to become one of the best strikers in the world. If you think people aren't going to resent the current owners of this club for turning that helicopter engine on, you've got another thing coming mate.

No one can say whether he will become one of the best strikers in the world. So much can change, look at Dean Ashton, Freddy Adu etc. All touted as possible greats but never came to fruition.

At the end of the day 35 million is a lot of money to turn down.

We keep going full circle on this again and again and again. It's like this thread is on a loop :lol:

And will be for the next 10 years or so.

Carroll is going to become one of the best strikers in the world. If you think Newcastle supporters aren't going to resent the current owners of this club for turning that helicopter engine on, you've got another thing coming mate.

er ok ???

Can people seriously not just wait till after the summer to critisise this transfer? 35 million is a lot of money, and if reinvested wisely we could land 3-4 players of Andy Carroll's quality. Yeah we'll probably never get another powerful target man like him again, but we can definatly use the money to improve the squad from what it was with AC.

Can people seriously not just wait till after the summer to critisise this transfer? 35 million is a lot of money, and if reinvested wisely we could land 3-4 players of Andy Carroll's quality. Yeah we'll probably never get another powerful target man like him again, but we can definatly use the money to improve the squad from what it was with AC.

Makes you wonder why Liverpool didn't just do that. Strange.

Almost every club in a similar position would have sold Carroll - I'm still gutted about it but that's a fact.

We probably won't replace him with anyone as good, that's not really the point though. Sometimes players leave or have to be sold, getting a replacement(s) is great but it's not how the decision should be judged.

Because they deemed him worth £35 million for there plans, we didn't. It's basic stuff.

If you're trying to say it's not possibly to buy 3-4 footballers of Andy Carroll's quality for a combined sum of less than £35 million then I strongky suggest you take a look at some of the transfers over the past year, even withing our own team.

Liverpool had just received way over the odds so could afford to pay more than the going rate for a replacement though. We weren't going to get anyone of quality in a few hours so have no issue waiting a few months for a replacement. It's hardly damaged us this season anyway.

Wonder if Liverpool will be looking to sell in the summer, or whether Aston Villa will be hoping for a profit on the £20m bloke who's just kept them up.

Different ways of doing things.  I didn't want to sell Carroll but just gonna put this one out there for the sake of argument:  Mourinho sold Ibra for stupid money and bought Lucio, Sneijder and Eto'o and won the treble.  Inter could have held on to Ibra (their best player) but chose another way of doing things.

I realise this isn't the same as our situation but as I say I'm just putting it out there for the sake of argument.

Wonder if Liverpool will be looking to sell in the summer, or whether Aston Villa will be hoping for a profit on the £20m bloke who's just kept them up.

completely differant circumstances. In both cases.

3-4 players as good as Andy Carroll, all rated at £5m by their current clubs, all willing to come to Newcastle for mid-table football and all willing to accept £20k/week or less. Easy peasy.

Yeah I know it is, they've both got ambition for a start.

Yeah I know it is, they've both got ambition for a start.

good for them

3-4 players as good as Andy Carroll, all rated at £5m by their current clubs, all willing to come to Newcastle for mid-table football and all willing to accept £20k/week or less. Easy peasy.

We've bought players of that quality before for those prices, Dave. When you've got a manager with an eye for a player like that, it's a real advantage.

Pity we sacked him but don't mention that, 'tis forbidden.

It's the world and his wife against you Wullie, we get it. Becoming incredibly tiresome now.

So, what, you're only allowed to praise the decision on here, not criticise it?

I do apologise, Christ.

I never said it was easy, I said it was possible but we'll have to wait and see what happens. We've brought in HBA and Cheik Tiote for less than 10 million within the last year, the few years prior to that we have bought Enrique, Barton and Coloccini for just over 20 million.

If the choose to either not reinvest the cash, or spend it on a bunch of Smith's, Perch's and Guthrie's then I will turn around and admit it was awful buisness. As of current though I don't know if selling him was good or bad.

If we invest that money in the summer, what good will it have done us between the last transfer window and the end of this season?

Shepherd's proof though that 95% owners would have sold him for that so think it's harsh blaming the owner in this instance.

95% of owners may or may not have sold him, 100% of ours did sell him.