West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That was just sarcasm tbh. :p

Anyway, all I'm saying is that whether you believe his story is neither here nor there. He was either forced out, or wanted to leave. To me, losing our crown jewel was a failure either way.

Oh, and prior to the Hughton sacking I was feeling very positive about the club's future again. That and then the sale of Carroll were a fucking joke IMO.

I'll never feel positive or secure about the club's future as long as Mike Ashley is still here.

Guest Loven11

SHOLA AMEOBI cannot believe a 'bag of bones' has now become a £35million England strike star.

Andy Carroll was a lanky the kid the first time Toon hitman Ameobi met him.

But fast forward to tomorrow and Carroll is the muscular, powerful frontman with the world at his feet.

The new record signing at Liverpool will face his old side for the first time - and most of his old pals remember the 22-year-old fondly.

Ameobi recalled: "He was in the youth team when I first saw him. They would come up and train with us and Andy was very gangly back then.

"He was a big kid but scored a lot of goals. He certainly didn't have the power he has now.

"But he quickly grew up and it's been like a whirlwind for him. In the space of three years he has become an England player who has cost £35 million.

"Hopefully we will get a win despite Andy now playing for Liverpool. He a good player and will be tough to control.

"He's a top player and I just hope we won't be cursed by one of our former guys. That normally happens. In football people come and go - after 10 years here at Newcastle I have experienced plenty of that. You just have to put up with that.

"Losing Andy was a big blow but those who have stepped in have done a brilliant job."

During his time at St James' Park, it was impossible not to see Carroll in the same light as Geordie legend Alan Shearer.

Both gave defences utter nightmares but Ameobi said: "It's difficult to compare Alan Shearer and Andy Carroll. They are different players.

"Alan had his attributes in the air but that's Andy's biggest strength. His aerial ability torments defenders every week.

"But you have to remember that Andy has played just one season in the Premier League.

"The signs are there for all to see that if he carries on in this way he will become a top, top player."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3555639/Shola-Ameobi-says-Andy-Carroll-was-bag-of-bones-when-he-first-met-him-at-Newcastle.html

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6905471,00.html

Nolan - Carroll sale was right

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan believes the club were right to sell Andy Carroll to Liverpool.

Carroll left Newcastle for Liverpool for £35million on transfer deadline day during the January transfer window.

The Magpies could come up against their former striker on Sunday when Alan Pardew's side travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool.

Nolan believes Newcastle are better off without Carroll, who is battling to shake off a knee injury to face his old club on Sunday, as the funds from his sale will allow the club to strengthen the squad in the summer.

"It was best for the club," Nolan said on Carroll's departure on January. "It's worked out for us better that Andy's gone although we'd love to have him still here.

"If he was, we'd probably have a few more points on the board and would be able to build a team around him which was going to be great.

"But £35m? Come on. It's an astronomical sum. The club would have taken £10m last season and £4m when we were relegated.

"It shows what he's done in a short space of time and how big he was for us.

"But now he's got a new chapter in his life and we've got a lot of money to spend. If we can get four or five players in for that, it works the best way you can possibly think of.

"We're in such a fantastic position at this moment so let's just see what happens."

One man band

Newcastle were tipped to struggle without their star striker, but Nolan believes they have shown they can cope without the England international.

"Everyone's seen we're not just a one man band," added Nolan.

"We've got a core of a team that has played the majority of the season

"Although we've had a few hitches and glitches, we've done really well."

Guest Antec

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6905471,00.html

Nolan - Carroll sale was right

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan believes the club were right to sell Andy Carroll to Liverpool.

Carroll left Newcastle for Liverpool for £35million on transfer deadline day during the January transfer window.

The Magpies could come up against their former striker on Sunday when Alan Pardew's side travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool.

Nolan believes Newcastle are better off without Carroll, who is battling to shake off a knee injury to face his old club on Sunday, as the funds from his sale will allow the club to strengthen the squad in the summer.

"It was best for the club," Nolan said on Carroll's departure on January. "It's worked out for us better that Andy's gone although we'd love to have him still here.

"If he was, we'd probably have a few more points on the board and would be able to build a team around him which was going to be great.

"But £35m? Come on. It's an astronomical sum. The club would have taken £10m last season and £4m when we were relegated.

"It shows what he's done in a short space of time and how big he was for us.

"But now he's got a new chapter in his life and we've got a lot of money to spend. If we can get four or five players in for that, it works the best way you can possibly think of.

"We're in such a fantastic position at this moment so let's just see what happens."

One man band

Newcastle were tipped to struggle without their star striker, but Nolan believes they have shown they can cope without the England international.

"Everyone's seen we're not just a one man band," added Nolan.

"We've got a core of a team that has played the majority of the season

"Although we've had a few hitches and glitches, we've done really well."

Unbelievable from Nolan that

"We'd love to have him still here. If he was, we'd probably have a few more points on the board and would be able to build a team around him which was going to be great."

=

Sounds a bit confused to me like. :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

"We'd love to have him still here. If he was, we'd probably have a few more points on the board and would be able to build a team around him which was going to be great."

=

Sounds a bit confused to me like. :lol:

The rest of his interview clarifies what he is trying to say

How about a £15m striker and several £6-8m players in other areas?

A £15m striker will command a £15m striker's wages, which we won't pay.

how much does a 15mill striker want ?

More than a £5m striker, at a guess.

I just don't see us making a single signing anywhere near that big, hence our bet.

I still believe that Carroll is irreplaceable for us. Yes we can bring in a couple players across the rest of the team but where exactly are we going to significantly improve with the money? We've a good back four (granted Jose might be off but the money coming in for him should pay for his replacement), a nice balanced midfield when everyone's available and then up top we had one of the best young forwards in the world. All we needed was a good strike partner (although with a fully fit Ben Arfa playing off of him we might've had this covered already) and 2 or 3 squad players/backup to really compete within the top 10 IMO.

The chances of now bringing in a player who brought as much to the team as Carroll are minimal. He scored, made assists, held up play. You can bring any amount of £10mish strikers but they just won't bring as much to the team as he could. Also his departure seemed to really disrupt the team, Jose seemed very happy before it happened, it seems to have brought a couple of doubts to Barton's mind.

In short the team was much, much more healthier with Carroll than with the £35m IMO.

How about a £15m striker and several £6-8m players in other areas?

A £15m striker will command a £15m striker's wages, which we won't pay.

how much does a 15mill striker want ?

More than a £5m striker, at a guess.

I just don't see us making a single signing anywhere near that big, hence our bet.

don't worry i haven't forgotten. over 8mill wasn't it ?

using your theory i'd guess tiote is now on at least 10mill players wages.