Do we need to start supporting?

Stu

Guest Gemmill

Bollocks we are supporters not sheep for to long we have just taken all the shite this club has thrown at us and still turned up in our thousands, why should we not voice our opinion at how depressed we are at the state of the club.

I go to the games I do not boo I sing but I am not happy at how we play or the state of the way the club is being ran. That does not make me less or more of a supporter than anyone else.

Oi!  We'll have less of this.  You just make sure you clap like a good lad the next time Nicky Butt plays a blind pass to a member of the opposition.  Or the next time Enrique passes the ball straight out of play.  Or when Duff shirks the responsibility for beating every full back that comes to SJP.  Or when Geremi hits the first man with yet another fucking corner.   I mean it's not like this is stuff that they should be expected to get right.

If we're mean to them they'll only get all sad and play worse.

Mock all you want but booing isn't exactly working, is it?

I don't boo personally, but seriously what the fuck do you expect from people?  These are professional footballers and they get outplayed and outfought week in week out on their own fucking turf.  They should be able to beat a glorified Championship side in an empty stadium, and yet they get played off the park.  The players need to take responsibility, not the fans.

Our home performances have been doubling shocking. I don't think it's a coincidence.

The players do need to take responsibility. People do have a right to get angry. But if voicing that displeasure quite clearly has a negative affect then why would you continue to let off steam in that way? It's madness.

It's called frustration.  And it's a consequence of Premiership footballers continually churning out performances that wouldn't be good enough in the division below.  Nobody is asking them to be Manchester United, we just want some evidence of competence.

Guest LucaAltieri

Bollocks we are supporters not sheep for to long we have just taken all the shite this club has thrown at us and still turned up in our thousands, why should we not voice our opinion at how depressed we are at the state of the club.

I go to the games I do not boo I sing but I am not happy at how we play or the state of the way the club is being ran. That does not make me less or more of a supporter than anyone else.

Oi!  We'll have less of this.  You just make sure you clap like a good lad the next time Nicky Butt plays a blind pass to a member of the opposition.  Or the next time Enrique passes the ball straight out of play.  Or when Duff shirks the responsibility for beating every full back that comes to SJP.  Or when Geremi hits the first man with yet another fucking corner.   I mean it's not like this is stuff that they should be expected to get right.

I don't boo personally, but seriously what the fuck do you expect from people?  These are professional footballers and they get outplayed and outfought week in week out on their own fucking turf.  They should be able to beat a glorified Championship side in an empty stadium, and yet they get played off the park.  The players need to take responsibility, not the fans.

Our home performances have been doubling shocking. I don't think it's a coincidence.

The players do need to take responsibility. People do have a right to get angry. But if voicing that displeasure quite clearly has a negative affect then why would you continue to let off steam in that way? It's madness.

It's called frustration.  And it's a consequence of Premiership footballers continually churning out performances that wouldn't be good enough in the division below.  Nobody is asking them to be Manchester United, we just want some evidence of competence.

Yes. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

So...

Guest Gemmill

So...

Well I'm no coach, but intuitively I would say train harder, work on the things you're getting wrong, have some personal pride in your performance.  The fans will then see this and not only that but it will translate into better performances and results both at home and away.

Here is what does piss me off though it hasn't happened a lot as we aint won many times but even when we did win home games the lack of atmorphere was shocking, there we were winning and the noise levels was shit. No one can be bothered anymore everyone is so fed up, we go because its a habbit there is no expectation like their was with KK ans SBR at the club, people just know we are going to be poor and IF we get a result it will be because whoever we have played have been so bad we have scraped through.

BRING BACK THE NOISE!

Give us something to make noise about then.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

"They have 22,000 supporters and 30,000 customers."

- Souness

You automatically lose any argument when you resort to quoting that cunt.

Guest LucaAltieri

So...

Well I'm no coach, but intuitively I would say train harder, work on the things you're getting wrong, have some personal pride in your performance.  The fans will then see this and not only that but it will translate into better performances and results both at home and away.

That's not something we an do though, is it? We're supporters, we should support the club. We know they can do better. We have seen the very same players have better games. We will freely acknowledge that some of them are "confidence players" (although I'd argue that everyone is to a certain extent) yet we continue to get on their backs. It doesn't help anyone.

Guest stjamestoon

we've done that for the last 5 seasons and it's got us nowhere

What more can we fucking do? How can you suggest we can do more rather than the shithole of a club?

Guest Sniffer

Do you really think a bit of noise is going to make n'zogbia raise his game above the fucking half hearted pathetic display he gave yesterday? He'd better hope wenger wasn't watching because just being french and black may not be enough to clinch a move.

Or make enrique look anything better than a sunday morning player with a hangover? Barton was absolutely right to give him a bollocking because he was fucking hopeless throughout the game. Fucking bollocks.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse if any of them stay or go. In fact dropping a bomb on the whole fucking place might just be the best way to go.

Guest stjamestoon

Do you really think a bit of noise is going to make n'zogbia raise his game above the f***ing half hearted pathetic display he gave yesterday? He'd better hope wenger wasn't watching because just being french and black may not be enough to clinch a move.

Or make enrique look anything better than a sunday morning player with a hangover? Barton was absolutely right to give him a bollocking because he was f***ing hopeless throughout the game. f***ing bollocks.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse if any of them stay or go. In fact dropping a bomb on the whole f***ing place might just be the best way to go.

Honestly would anyone give a shit if the whole squad was put up for sale? I wouldn't.  There honestly isnt many worth keeping.

Guest Howaythetoon

Total pie in the sky to think that the fans can fix this tbh.

No but by turning up in our thousands and clapping like seals and singing our hearts out will turn shit performances and players with zero professional pride into world beaters.

This thread is asking fans to basically do what they do anyway, unless those 30,000 plus fans at home to Hull or 6,000 plus at Ewood Park were not actually NUFC supporters or there to cheer on their team.

:idiot2:

Or make enrique look anything better than a sunday morning player with a hangover? Barton was absolutely right to give him a bollocking because he was fucking hopeless throughout the game. Fucking bollocks.

Enrique went missing for a goal. Big deal. Barton went missing for months. He should leave it to others to criticise.

Guest LucaAltieri

No but by turning up in our thousands and clapping like seals and singing our hearts out will turn shit performances and players with zero professional pride into world beaters.

This thread is asking fans to basically do what they do anyway, unless those 30,000 plus fans at home to Hull or 6,000 plus at Ewood Park were not actually NUFC supporters or there to cheer on their team.

You're right, we do support the players. We also give them a fucking hard time, too (well, sections of the crowd do).

Not saying they don't deserve it. But it's not helpful.

Given that the thread was a reaction to the "do we need to start protesting" I believe that this is more what the original poster wanted to get across.

Guest Sniffer

The only way to get the message through might be the opposite. For one match, nobody turn up. Empty ground apart from the away end. Have a few pints in the town and then have a few more. I know the tickets have been bought already but it'd show them what it could be like down the line.

That would make a point.

Guest Sniffer

I doubt very much if you have actually watch a game with that comment about enrique.

In English, please.

Now I know you haven't.

Guest neesy111

why the fuck should we support players, when they don't even give 100% for the cause

the minimum we should expect is 100% every time they step on a football pitch giving there all as that is what they are paid for, only then they will deserve our support

Guest LucaAltieri

why the fuck should we support players...

Because that's our role.

When we don't, they become even worse.

The rest of your post, while valid, makes no difference to the argument.

Guest Howaythetoon

No but by turning up in our thousands and clapping like seals and singing our hearts out will turn s*** performances and players with zero professional pride into world beaters.

You're right, we do support the players. We also give them a f***ing hard time, too (well, sections of the crowd do).

Given that the thread was a reaction to the "do we need to start protesting" I believe that this is more what the original poster wanted to get across.

The booing and moaning which is a minority anyway is way way down on the list of not helping matters thing, zero professional pride, no leadership at the top, shit tactics, injuries, poor squad depth, lack of commitment and feeling sorry for themselves is way way higher on the list.

The fact that so many turn up and do cheer to support these wasters and this fucked up club is more than enough good support to render any booing and moaning insignificant to the proceedings.

Like Gemmil said we can't fix this.

They got a full house against Liverpool and no booing or moaning, I mean every goal we conceded resulted in fans standing and singing about the team, but did they respond, did they shite, they capitulated because they have hearts the size of atoms and couldn't give a damn and even if they did or there is a still a small flicker locked away, Kinnear and his staff are incapable of igniting it and to be honest as much as I can't stand half the fuckers representing our shirt, I can't really blame them because they've been sold a lie like we all have.

The buck stops with those at the top and I'm pretty certain when Feb the 2nd arrives those still defending them and making excuses and blaming everyone and everything except these morons in charge will quickly change their tune, go missing for a few months or hopefully, stop fucking breathing.

I jest on the latter of course, I'm just pissed off how its always our fault, how fans want to hold fellow fans accountable and responsible while letting the real culprits off scott free. Fuck off to that.

I doubt very much if you have actually watch a game with that comment about enrique.

In English, please.

Now I know you haven't.

I wasn't disputing how bad Enrique may or may not have played, I was questioning whether Joey Barton was the person to voice his disapproval.

Where is the supposed captain when all of this is going on?

Guest LucaAltieri

No but by turning up in our thousands and clapping like seals and singing our hearts out will turn s*** performances and players with zero professional pride into world beaters.

You're right, we do support the players. We also give them a f***ing hard time, too (well, sections of the crowd do).

The booing and moaning which is a minority anyway is way way down on the list of not helping matters thing, zero professional pride, no leadership at the top, shit tactics, injuries, poor squad depth, lack of commitment and feeling sorry for themselves is way way higher on the list.

The fact that so many turn up and do cheer to support these wasters and this fucked up club is more than enough good support to render any booing and moaning insignificant to the proceedings.

Like Gemmil said we can't fix this.

They got a full house against Liverpool and no booing or moaning, I mean every goal we conceded resulted in fans standing and singing about the team, but did they respond, did they shite, they capitulated because they have hearts the size of atoms and couldn't give a damn and even if they did or there is a still a small flicker locked away, Kinnear and his staff are incapable of igniting it and to be honest as much as I can't stand half the fuckers representing our shirt, I can't really blame them because they've been sold a lie like we all have.

The buck stops with those at the top and I'm pretty certain when Feb the 2nd arrives those still defending them and making excuses and blaming everyone and everything except these morons in charge will quickly change their tune, go missing for a few months or hopefully, stop fucking breathing.

I jest on the latter of course, I'm just pissed off how its always our fault, how fans want to hold fellow fans accountable and responsible while letting the real culprits off scott free. Fuck off to that.

Generally valid points. I agree that most of those contribute.

Turning the place into a circus yet again isn't really the answer though, is it?

No one is saying that it's all the fan's fault and everyone else is blameless.

But you must acknowledge the role of the fans? When Keegan first returned and we all had that lift, the players were different. When Joe first took charge, that gave them a lift and they started to be a bit more promising (albeit temporarily).

If we know that they are confidence players then what is the sense in protesting, booing, giving everyone involved a hard time?

Surely there are better ways to show your displeasure. Better times to do it, too.

The atmosphere yesterday was mixed to say the least. The first half saw only brief seconds between each chant and was generally continuous encouraging noise. The second started in a similiar fashion but as soon as the penalty was given and the team seemed to throw in the towel, it soon got nasty. Negative chants, booing, insults etc started arguements between fans and made the whole afternoon (besides the football) rather nasty.

I personally didn't stop supporting between the first minute and the penalty, and then continued to support until it was evident there was no plan to go forward and we were happy to sit at 2-0. A couple of strong comments from me to the bench to encourage some fight / a change in tactics was met by a very heated one-way arguement with 3 blokes infront of me. I was verbally abused and accused of not supporting the team. I did the wise thing of not replying and settled to at least looking pitchwards as I endured more minutes of further insults. With 20 minutes left to go in the game, I was left scared of opening my mouth and/or moving away from where I was. As the insults continued to fly my way, surrounding supporters helped to try and diffuse what was a very ugly scene. Luckily the 3 'supporters' soon walked out (once they'd made a point of tapping their Henry Lloyd jackets) around the 75 minute mark leaving the sinking team they encouraged me to support, and me physically shaking. I stood for the remainder of the game in silence and concluded the game by applauding the players off.

I understand that my comments to the bench may have differed from their opinion but my support to the team up until that point was positive and continuos. I did not boo any player, shout insults or call someone 'shit' but simply made a couple of comments to encourage a more forward thinking sub. At the time, we were 2-0 down and needed goals to get back into the game. Moments later I'm getting verbally abused. I sat down last night but instead of giving a shit about the poor performance, I relived the events that took place off the field in the second half. What right did those blokes have to call me a shite supporter? What right do they have to tell me to piss out from the ground? What right do they have to verbally abuse me and make me feel physically threatened? This is a very dark and frustrating time for everyone associated with NUFC with many questioning why they bother. I attended yesterdays game knowing that a draw was probably the best result we were ever going to achieve but came away fearing other 'supporters' instead of what the rest of the season involves.

The result itself was a bitter pill after the amount of possession and chances we had up until the goal. Despite this, the day was spoilt by what a would have called fellow supporters. We the fans make the club and are therefore allowed to voice some negative opinions if appropriate. Its yet another game where we were on top only to find ourselves behind, and lacking any forward thinking to get back into the game. Once it went to 1-0, the ball did not enter their half until the last 5 minutes when we found ourselves clinging to a 3-0 defecit. Although the majority of chants sang in the second half were knee-jerk reactions, similar tactics have failed to produce anything of late. There may have been a lack of positive chants from the 70 min mark but the majority did not stop applauding good passes and remained inside an otherwise very quiet Ewood Park until the end. This may not have been vocal support but it was support nevertheless.

These are dark times for the club, and yesterday was probably the darkest day I've had to endure as a NUFC supporter. Despite this, I will continue to spend my hard earned money attending games and will continue to support the people that can make a difference. I won't (and can't) give up!!!

Oka then YES lets start supporting no matter what, lets sing our hearts out for 90 mins and see if it helps lift the players, oh hang on its a nice idea but how the f*** do you intend to get 40 odd thousand fans to go along with it?

Can we could we get Hopey to print a statement from us in the Ronnie Gill ?

Guest fading star

I know I will probably get slated for this, but the singing corner is really trying to support the lads. But without support from other areas then it will never really work. You can see down into the lower Leazes and hardly anyone sings there. The east stand is usually quiet unless there is a bad tackle. The milburn, nowt needs to be said really. Posh people and old people. And the bairns in level 7 milburn. The gallowgate sometimes makes some noise. But the whole ground needs to make an effort, and not just up in the corner. We try and sing as much as we can, but its frustrating to see whole areas in the ground sitting on their hands and saying bugger all. Its not everyone in the areas away from the singing corner who doesn't make a noise, but not enough people do sing and clap around other areas.

Before the signing section there were a lot of people dotted around the ground who needed little encouragement to join in any chants, which in turn encouraged more bashful supporters to join in. Now most the people prepared to try and get some chants going are congregated about half a mile from the pitch.

The informal singing section in L7 made more noise than the official Leazes Corner does now.

Guest fading star

I agree on the home front like.

The atmosphere against West Ham was dire to say the least. Going to West Ham game and Blackburn game in the same week highlighted just how poor it is at SJP in comparison.

The away fans made more noise in five minutes today than the whole of SJP made in 90 minutes last week.

Perhaps away fans should go to home games as well then, show those crap season ticket holders what being a supporters is all about?