Do we need to start supporting?

Stu

Have the fans not been supporting the team?

In psychology one negative or destructive comment carries a weight of 10 positive comments.

When we're booing our players over petty things like f***ing up corners, what do you think that's doing to them?

When they show no f***ing spine or respect for the badge week in week out bar a few, what do you think that's doing for us?

I'm f***ing sick of this talk as if footballers are these precious little flowers. They carry on with no worry of the problems that this country is under. Thousands of people are losing their jobs and these 'stars' are on an absolute wedge that is generated by US! These players may only have these wages due to the way the game has gone and are just a part of the way things are now, but that  doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try to f***ing EARN it.

Spot on

They get away with far too much, i'd rather have an acadamy lad trying his heart out to some big money signing that's not pulling his weight

The thing is though other fans would turn on that academy lad a lot quicker. On Wednesday night some guys were saying Lua Lua was shit after he lost the ball twice and had a wayward shot. Its not fair on the young players to put them in this situation.

Yeah well they're knobs if they do

All I ask is a player shows some effort nothing more nothing less

Guest LucaAltieri

In psychology one negative or destructive comment carries a weight of 10 positive comments.

When we're booing our players over petty things like fucking up corners, what do you think that's doing to them?

When they under perform all season and put our club in a position where we are facing relegation, what do you think that is doing to us? You cant blame the fans for getting on players' backs when the players are part of the problem. If they put abit of effort in and earned their wages then they wouldnt get any stick.

Aye, but giving them stick doesn't make them any better. So what's the point?

So maybe they get their finger out? What do you suggest? When the players play shit the fans continue to cheer them on or even just do nothing? The only out come of that is the players will think they can get away with under performing.

I don't know if you've played much football yourself... but when you're playing, if one of your team mates is having a mare you don't start having a pop at him. You don't get on his case. It'll only make him play worse. Instead when he does something well you tell him "well played". Try and give him a lift. Try and lead by example. Don't get hung up on the negative.

Negative attitudes fester and are difficult to get out of. If you put the effort into creating a positive environment then you will generate better performances. It's not rocket science.

Guest toonlass

Its the delusion of our fans though. We think we are a top 4 side, despite us being no-where near for years. Its not our fault, we were sold a dream by John Hall and we all jumped on. However even though we have finished mid-table for the last how many years, we still think that its bad luck. Its not its the wrong players being brought in, its too much expectation on young lads from the academy who just are not good enough (taylor, ramage, edgar). I include myself in this deluded fan thing though. I keep forgetting that we have had no quality for years and keep thinking we should be where villa are now. But in reality we ARE no better than Stoke, Boro, Blackburn or West Brom.

Nobody at all thinks we're a top four side.

Ok, so not top 4 but we do expect us to be competing for Europe, and we just are not good enough any more.

Protest if you want - just keep it away from SJP during the match and get behind whichever players are in the starting XI that day.

Grumble, moan and complain after the match in the pub if you must.

However, once you've vented your frustration, start looking at the positives and looking forward to cheering the lads on in the next game. From now until the end of the season we have a series of mini-battles, each worth 3 points. The more help we can give the lads (who have been picked with the best intentions to win the game), the better.

Its the delusion of our fans though. We think we are a top 4 side, despite us being no-where near for years. Its not our fault, we were sold a dream by John Hall and we all jumped on. However even though we have finished mid-table for the last how many years, we still think that its bad luck. Its not its the wrong players being brought in, its too much expectation on young lads from the academy who just are not good enough (taylor, ramage, edgar). I include myself in this deluded fan thing though. I keep forgetting that we have had no quality for years and keep thinking we should be where villa are now. But in reality we ARE no better than Stoke, Boro, Blackburn or West Brom.

Ok, so not top 4 but we do expect us to be competing for Europe, and we just are not good enough any more.

Seriously? I don't know anyone who expects us to be competing for Europe. I thought if Keegan had stayed we might have given it a shot. But no way do I 'expect' us to or have done for a number of seasons now.

Guest toonlass

Seriously? I don't know anyone who expects us to be competing for Europe. I thought if Keegan had stayed we might have given it a shot. But no way do I 'expect' us to or have done for a number of seasons now.

Talk to anyone at the start of a season. I seriously think we have been deluding ourselves for too long, myself included. I have been through worse times with Newcastle, but this is just sapping my enthusiasm completely. Mind you, I will still be there next year whether we are Premiership or Championship.

That starts with supporters accepting that if they want a committed, hard-working football team to watch, then they need to display some of those qualities themselves.

and

That starts with the club/managers/players accepting that if they want a committed fanbase to get behind them, then they need to display some of those qualities themselves.

Guest toonlass

We also need a team who looks like it gives a fuck (did you see what I did there dilligaf?)

So often this season we have seen players who look like they would rather be in the Metrocentre shopping rather than playing at St James (or away). That boils the piss of a lot of fans, who spend a lot of money to follow the team. I am sick of seeing this. I want to see lads who are at least commited to the club. If they want away then fine, but give 100% when you are here or don't expect an automatic starting place then. Play with the reserves and get away. Zoggy wants away, but at least he gave 100% on wednesday night. I am heart sick of seeing players who just look like they are there to pick up their wages.

Guest LucaAltieri

We also need a team who looks like it gives a fuck (did you see what I did there dilligaf?)

So often this season we have seen players who look like they would rather be in the Metrocentre shopping rather than playing at St James (or away). That boils the piss of a lot of fans, who spend a lot of money to follow the team. I am sick of seeing this. I want to see lads who are at least commited to the club. If they want away then fine, but give 100% when you are here or don't expect an automatic starting place then. Play with the reserves and get away. Zoggy wants away, but at least he gave 100% on wednesday night. I am heart sick of seeing players who just look like they are there to pick up their wages.

Who is it that everyone perceives to be taking the piss? It's the third time I'm asking this; which players is it you think aren't trying?

Guest toonlass

I cant speak for today cos I wasn't there and didn't hear the game (due to being at a kids birthday party), but Michael Owen was woeful on Wednesday. People are going to say "We can't put him in the reserves" but for fucks sake, he looks like he couldn't care less. How inspirational can a captain be, who won't sign another contract with the club and who reportedly has a "gentleman's agreement" to join another club?

When we're booing our players over petty things like f***ing up corners, what do you think that's doing to them?

When they under perform all season and put our club in a position where we are facing relegation, what do you think that is doing to us? You cant blame the fans for getting on players' backs when the players are part of the problem. If they put abit of effort in and earned their wages then they wouldnt get any stick.

Aye, but giving them stick doesn't make them any better. So what's the point?

So maybe they get their finger out? What do you suggest? When the players play s*** the fans continue to cheer them on or even just do nothing? The only out come of that is the players will think they can get away with under performing.

I don't know if you've played much football yourself... but when you're playing, if one of your team mates is having a mare you don't start having a pop at him. You don't get on his case. It'll only make him play worse. Instead when he does something well you tell him "well played". Try and give him a lift. Try and lead by example. Don't get hung up on the negative.

Negative attitudes fester and are difficult to get out of. If you put the effort into creating a positive environment then you will generate better performances. It's not rocket science.

I think there's a lot of truth in that, like the pathetic excuses we get for referees many fans have never actually kicked a ball seriously - and it's very obvious by some of the comments you hear at matches.

Results may be going against us and many of our squad players are not good enough but to imply professional footballers lack effort or desire is frankly laughable.

The hostile atmosphere towards our own players against West Ham was terrible imo, like the booing of Geremi. Although any chanting about Ashley etc can be seperated from that.

It doesn't matter, our own fans should all want to get 3 points from every fixture. Why do they think it's acceptable to bring in protests, dissent and booing during the 90minutes...do people really think this is conducive towards the team winning or at least trying toget a result?

I must have been dreaming when I was stood in the away end in the pouring rain at Ewood Park today, around thousands of screaming Newcastle United fans.

Those fans who sang for 90 minutes.

Those fans that applauded the efforts of the players in their few attacks.

Those fans who even applauded Nicky Butt after he got sent off as he walked towards the tunnel.

Of course there were chants of Ashley Out and us being shit, but that was after going 3-0 down to a less than average Blackburn side.

We do too much supporting IMO. We put up with alot more than I'd expect us to.

I must have been dreaming when I was stood in the away end in the pouring rain at Ewood Park today, around thousands of screaming Newcastle United fans.

Those fans who sang for 90 minutes.

Those fans that applauded the efforts of the players in their few attacks.

Those fans who even applauded Nicky Butt after he got sent off as he walked towards the tunnel.

Of course there were chants of Ashley Out and us being shit, but that was after going 3-0 down to a less than average Blackburn side.

We do too much supporting IMO. We put up with alot more than I'd expect us to.

"We're shit and we know we are" [2-0 Blackburn]

"There's only one Kevin Keegan" [1-0 Blackburn]

If you don't want to support the team then don't bother going to the matches, no-one forces you to 'endure' another 90minutes of godawful shite.

This thread wasn't so much aimed at the away fans who, by and large, are away fans and keep on keepin' on throughout the 90minutes (although I wonder if they do the same at SJP) - moreso aimed at the fans who seem to spend most of their time slagging off anyone and anything related to NUFC.

I agree on the home front like.

The atmosphere against West Ham was dire to say the least. Going to West Ham game and Blackburn game in the same week highlighted just how poor it is at SJP in comparison.

The away fans made more noise in five minutes today than the whole of SJP made in 90 minutes last week.

I agree on the home front like.

The atmosphere against West Ham was dire to say the least. Going to West Ham game and Blackburn game in the same week highlighted just how poor it is at SJP in comparison.

The away fans made more noise in five minutes today than the whole of SJP made in 90 minutes last week.

It's been like that for as long as I've been going to SJP (not all that long like). It was also exactly the same when I was sat in with the home fans away at City last year.

There's simply no comparison.

Guest neesy111

i'm sorry but this club or set of players don't deserve any support, and i don't blame home fan's for wanting to have a go at the team now, we the fan's have been treated with utter contempt by the board, players and management of this club for 5 years now

we keep getting promised it's going to get better and I have believed it will, but i can't see anything but relegation now

people moan and get angry because THEY LOVE THIS CLUB and want it to succeed, i've been patient this season but i've snapped

the club has had underserved support for the last 5 years still regularly getting the highest percentage's of seats and season tickets in the country

when i'm seeing players like owen, viduka, butt, duff, ameobi, geremi earn fucking 1000's and 1000's a week when they don't give a fuck about this club (espcially owen) when I myself is living on £100 a week at the moment then it just totally makes my blood boil and make's me sick of football in general, the sooner people stop going which they will in the summer at all of the clubs as people will simply not afford to go as the recession hit's really hard then the better

I personally hope the fans do protest I really don't care if that results in us getting relegated. In my opinion the pride of the Newcastle fans/city is more important than what division the team is in! At the moment we're getting the p*ss taken out of us by the players, manager and board and I'd rather make a stand against that than anything else! To show people that we're no mugs and have pride in ourselves! I would quite happily take relegation if it meant these jokers being kicked out of town!

You are right, and that is what it took to get rid of McKeag in the end...all this 'get behind the lads' stuff is

old hat from the 50s when  they really DID get behind them because they had a good side who tried their hearts out.

Ashley & Co are only interested in the dosh - if they thought they were going to get another financial caning, they'd soon get their finger out..

Door-mats get trodden on....

I personally hope the fans do protest I really don't care if that results in us getting relegated. In my opinion the pride of the Newcastle fans/city is more important than what division the team is in! At the moment we're getting the p*ss taken out of us by the players, manager and board and I'd rather make a stand against that than anything else! To show people that we're no mugs and have pride in ourselves! I would quite happily take relegation if it meant these jokers being kicked out of town!

You are right, and that is what it took to get rid of McKeag in the end...all this 'get behind the lads' stuff is

old hat from the 50s when  they really DID get behind them because they had a good side who tried their hearts out.

Ashley & Co are only interested in the dosh - if they thought they were going to get another financial caning, they'd soon get their finger out..

so they don't think we'd get a financial caning by getting relegated ?

the irony being that the best we've done in the league post war was under the control of others who were in it for the dosh............made loads-risked little.

i'm sorry but this club or set of players don't deserve any support, and i don't blame home fan's for wanting to have a go at the team now, we the fan's have been treated with utter contempt by the board, players and management of this club for 5 years now

we keep getting promised it's going to get better and I have believed it will, but i can't see anything but relegation now

people moan and get angry because THEY LOVE THIS CLUB and want it to succeed, i've been patient this season but i've snapped

the club has had underserved support for the last 5 years still regularly getting the highest percentage's of seats and season tickets in the country

when i'm seeing players like owen, viduka, butt, duff, ameobi, geremi earn fucking 1000's and 1000's a week when they don't give a fuck about this club (espcially owen) when I myself is living on £100 a week at the moment then it just totally makes my blood boil and make's me sick of football in general, the sooner people stop going which they will in the summer at all of the clubs as people will simply not afford to go as the recession hit's really hard then the better

Look, it's quite simple - if you're so sick of supporting the club then don't bother coming on Feb 1st. Give your ticket to someone who actually fancies supporting the team and giving the players half a chance before they've even stepped onto the pitch. The air of resignation billowing down from all four corners of the ground doesn't do anything to improve team morale or player performances.

The only time this season we've actually got behind the lads and backed them [Man City at home], they actually went on to give one of their better performances of the season and probably their most committed.

Enough of this "oh but I've been supporting them for years and I'm sick of this shite" - why bother coming back? If it's to try and do your bit to keep the club up then so be it, but if it's to gesticulate and articulate your general frustrations with the state of football and the football team - do it away from the match and outside of the stadium.

Owners, managers, players - not important to the club. Premiership survival is.

so they don't think we'd get a financial caning by getting relegated ?

the irony being that the best we've done in the league post war was under the control of others who were in it for the dosh............made loads-risked little.

Just to reiterate  my original post I really don't care about the financial aspect of things as I think there's more important things in life. As I said in my original post we are being taken for mugs on a grand scale by all parties, for example the lack of communication by the board is disgraceful! So I'd happily take relegation if that was the result of the fans protesting, at least we would have some pride and show people that we won't be taken for granted!

How can any self-respecting person support anyone related to NUFC is beyond me as none of them give a toss about the club.