Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

Guest fading star

It’s just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashley’s wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely he’d have trouble getting his hands £25m I didn’t feel it was necessary.

I agree.

I'd also point out for those taking the piss about his losses being a shock that his huge loss in HBOS shares was completely predictable.

It’s one of the many Ashley contradictions. On one hand he’s supposed to be some intergalactic business genius, on the other couldn't even see the recession that was looming on the horizon.

Or perhaps he saw it but badley misjudged the speed.

It’s just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashley’s wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely he’d have trouble getting his hands £25m I didn’t feel it was necessary.

I agree.

I'd also point out for those taking the piss about his losses being a shock that his huge loss in HBOS shares was completely predictable.

Not if you didnt see the global recession coming.

His loss on HBOS was March 2008 - 4 months before that the bank I work for had already made the decision to set aside all profit for 2007 for the shit that was to follow. anybody who didn't realise that banks were in serious trouble by March is quite frankly an idiot.

I agree.

It’s one of the many Ashley contradictions. On one hand he’s supposed to be some intergalactic business genius, on the other couldn't even see the recession that was looming on the horizon.

Or perhaps he saw it but badley misjudged the speed.

This has all gone way beyond whats actually important, the importatn thing being that our club is finally finacially safe and in my opinion is pursuing an excellent policy which is sustainable and effective.

My single only concern is that we get the right man in charge, thats all that this hinges on.

Guest fading star

I agree.

There’d been enough warnings. Obviously the government were denying it but many respected economists had been making dark predictions long before Ashley bought NUFC.

Its just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashleys wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely hed have trouble getting his hands £25m I didnt feel it was necessary.

I agree.

His loss on HBOS was March 2008 - 4 months before that the bank I work for had already made the decision to set aside all profit for 2007 for the shit that was to follow. anybody who didn't realise that banks were in serious trouble by March is quite frankly an idiot.

He clearly isn't an idiot of course.

It's the irresponsible behaviour of the banks that has got the country into this shit unfortunately.  But that's another thread.....

Guest fading star

I agree.

His loss on HBOS was March 2008 - 4 months before that the bank I work for had already made the decision to set aside all profit for 2007 for the s*** that was to follow. anybody who didn't realise that banks were in serious trouble by March is quite frankly an idiot.

It's the irresponsible behaviour of the banks that has got the country into this s*** unfortunately.  But that's another thread.....

He’s a one trick pony. When it comes to selling nasty sportswear at knock down prices he’s the king of the hill. When it comes to running a football club he’s a plank.

Its just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashleys wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely hed have trouble getting his hands £25m I didnt feel it was necessary.

I agree.

Thered been enough warnings. Obviously the government were denying it but many respected economists had been making dark predictions long before Ashley bought NUFC.

Ok, its a fair point but changes very little and is in fact pretty irrelevant.

I think its only relevant in that if Keegan had walked in May and he'd decided to sell then, he would probably have found a buyer.

I'd also say as a continuation of my post above that I don't see much material difference between being worth £800m and £1.9bn - its still "pointless" excess in my view and in any case I think he'd already shown he wasn't going to spend a great deal of money even if for some reason his wealth had rocketed.

I think its only relevant in that if Keegan had walked in May and he'd decided to sell then, he would probably have found a buyer.

I'd also say as a continuation of my post above that I don't see much material difference between being worth £800m and £1.9bn - its still "pointless" excess in my view and in any case I think he'd already shown he wasn't going to spend a great deal of money even if for some reason his wealth had rocketed.

Im not sure how to argue that point, seems a bit of a moot point really. second part is pure specualtion as well and something else which i dont think i can argue either.

How do you view the Modric bid and the bid for Woodgate? What about Collocinni? Arent they substantial bids and purchases?

Im not sure how to argue that point, seems a bit of a moot point really. second part is pure specualtion as well and something else which i dont think i can argue either.

How do you view the Modric bid and the bid for Woodgate? What about Collocinni? Arent they substantial bids and purchases?

I meant "stupid" spending really - I don't honestly know how the what I think of as over moderate spending last summer or the reluctance now fits in with those bids you mention which showed exactly what I wanted - reasonable but neither excessive or inadequate.

I don't see much material difference between being worth £800m and £1.9bn

:lol:

I meant in terms of one person's personal wealth - how would you go about spending the extra £1.1bn?

What i dont understand is that surely we've had some form of scouting system set in place for a long long time now.

Yet it comes time to get into it and theres nothing happening. Lovenkrands is the best we can do ?

We're bringing in so many youngsters at a time when surely that isnt a priority, that is something that could be done in the summer ?

Seems like Wise is focusing on scouting kids instead of finding more Bassongs.

If he has to fork out 2/3 mill here and there...just do it...you have to take the risk. He must be clearly biased towards paying as little as possible, yet realistically when you look at our injury situation...discontented players & general level of crap (Butt) in the team now......he has to spend atleast something.

It cant be that with an entire seasons preperation they cannot find a single other player worthy enough to give a chance to thats under 5 mill. The scouting system cant be up to much if thats true.

What i dont understand is that surely we've had some form of scouting system set in place for a long long time now.

Yet it comes time to get into it and theres nothing happening. Lovenkrands is the best we can do ?

We're bringing in so many youngsters at a time when surely that isnt a priority, that is something that could be done in the summer ?

Seems like Wise is focusing on scouting kids instead of finding more Bassongs.

If he has to fork out 2/3 mill here and there...just do it...you have to take the risk. He must be clearly biased towards paying as little as possible, yet realistically when you look at our injury situation...discontented players & general level of crap (Butt) in the team now......he has to spend atleast something.

It cant be that with an entire seasons preperation they cannot find a single other player worthy enough to give a chance to thats under 5 mill. The scouting system cant be up to much if thats true.

Who's to say they arent pursuing targets?

It happens every window, every fan from every club lambast the club for not doing there preperation when in actual fact the polarised nature of the window dictates that its win win for the clubs to sell as late as poosilbe, if at all.

I meant "stupid" spending really - I don't honestly know how the what I think of as over moderate spending last summer or the reluctance now fits in with those bids you mention which showed exactly what I wanted - reasonable but neither excessive or inadequate.

I think they show that he was willing to invest in the summer but only on the players that fit in with his system and policy which provide some form of safefty net in light of the precarious financial situation, in my opinion he realised the absolute importance of making sure whatever money spent was spent as wisely as possilbe.

Ive maintained throughtout this thread that these account sheets shouldnt excuse him from not spending and going on a Bolton style budget but they highlight the importance of how he spends his money.

If Milner hadnt gone, or if we actually did buy Schweinsteiger we wouldnt be having this conversation. Thats how flimsy this argument actually is.

Guest fading star

Signed for Spurs. Signed for Spurs. Desperation.

I agree.

His loss on HBOS was March 2008 - 4 months before that the bank I work for had already made the decision to set aside all profit for 2007 for the s*** that was to follow. anybody who didn't realise that banks were in serious trouble by March is quite frankly an idiot.

It's the irresponsible behaviour of the banks that has got the country into this s*** unfortunately.  But that's another thread.....

Hes a one trick pony. When it comes to selling nasty sportswear at knock down prices hes the king of the hill. When it comes to running a football club hes a plank.

He's never been in charge of running the football club.

Guest fading star

I think they show that he was willing to invest in the summer but only on the players that fit in with his system and policy  which provide some form of safefty net in light of the precarious financial situation, in my opinion he realised the absolute importance of making sure whatever money spent was spent as wisely as possilbe.

Ive maintained throughtout this thread that these account sheets shouldnt excuse him from not spending and going on a Bolton style budget but they highlight the importance of how he spends his money.

If Milner hadnt gone, or if we actually did buy Schweinsteiger we wouldnt be having this conversation. Thats how flimsy this argument actually is.

Signed for Villa. Still at Bayern Munich.

Is there anything that will shake your faith in the Good Lord Ashley? Selling Given and Harper this month? Getting relegated? Playing in red and white?

I think they show that he was willing to invest in the summer but only on the players that fit in with his system and policy which provide some form of safefty net in light of the precarious financial situation, in my opinion he realised the absolute importance of making sure whatever money spent was spent as wisely as possilbe.

Is there anything that will shake your faith in the Good Lord Ashley? Selling Given and Harper this month? Getting relegated? Playing in red and white?

Your logic is inpenetrable mate, only becasue its so crap.

Fuck the debts Ashley you tit, spend the fucking money. who cares if it puts us into adminastration should it go wrong.

If you cant see that as a club werent in a position to spend £100m on players even if we wanted to then thats not my problem, the facts and explainations are riddled throughout this thread.

I agree.

Thered been enough warnings. Obviously the government were denying it but many respected economists had been making dark predictions long before Ashley bought NUFC.

Not at all, the toxic sub-prime was only coming to light AFTER Ashley's purchase of the club, in fact, we still had economic experts flying in from the US to explain the 'full' severity of the situation and that a worst case scenario would be 9-12months of widening spreads (!!!).

The penny didn't really start to drop until after Northern Rock and the full understanding that these AAA rated securitisations weren't worth the paper they were printed on.

Throughout the course of time, there all always naysayers and doom-mongerers (just see this thread), but even if their prophecies eventually unfurl, it doesn't mean that they were correct at the time.

Guest fading star

I think they show that he was willing to invest in the summer but only on the players that fit in with his system and policy  which provide some form of safefty net in light of the precarious financial situation, in my opinion he realised the absolute importance of making sure whatever money spent was spent as wisely as possilbe.

f*** the debts Ashley you tit, spend the f***ing money. who cares if it puts us into adminastration should it go wrong.

If you cant see that as a club werent in a position to spend £100m on players even if we wanted to then thats not my problem, the facts and explainations are riddled throughout this thread.

The figure I put forward was £25m.

f*** the debts Ashley you tit, spend the f***ing money. who cares if it puts us into adminastration should it go wrong.

and where was this £25mill to come from ?

and where was this £25mill to come from ?

How do other clubs buy players? Genuine question, I know nowt about finance but I know Liverpool and Man Utd are swimming in debt but still spend big money on players. Why have the administrators not been called in there?