What's the closest we've come?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Good, so I wasn't the only one getting teary-eyed after that Lisbon game then...

:lol:

I guess I should appreciate being so young when we came so close in the mid-90s. I was well aware of what was going on but being so young and living so far away it wouldn't have affected me as much.

bang on for me too. I was 11 that season, and i cried my eyes out at the end. If I'd been the age I am now I'd have went into some sort of football based mental breakdown.

i can only assume those voting prem 96/97 have got their years moxed up.

I agree that 95/96 and the Chelsea semi were the closer but I think people forget 96/97 too easily - we came pretty close to beating West ham which would have meant going to Old Trafford with a victory taking us top before the last game.

Obviously not a certainty but funnily enough I'd have trusted Dalglish to maybe pull it off.

Yeah, funnily enough he managed to do something Keegan never could in that run in, and that was getting Ferdinand, Shearer & Asprilla playing well as a front-three.

Has to be 95/6...the title was ours to lose in Feb and we duly lost it.

The difference between this and Cup Finals is that the league is a marathon, and we fell at the last lap.

The 2nd place a year later was a great effort after being 7th in December and resulted in our first CL appearance, but we were never really challenging Man U until near the end...

The Cup is 'on the day' and in BOTH finals, we never really looked like winning ; Yes, Shearer's shot that hit Arsenal's post MIGHT have made a difference, but we were pedestrian throughout the game.

Against Man U a year later, we were never in it, and as for the Semi at Cardiff, the least said the better...

In my opinion, our best performance in a Cup Final after 1969 was the LCF against Man C in 76 - had half the squad not been suffering from flu, I am convinced we would have won it.

95/96 easily. I was really getting into football as well around then (my dad was taking me to more games) and it was heartbreaking.

FA Semi 2000 next, followed by Lisbon. I was fucking foaming after the Lisbon game. I think I fell out with my entire family for about a fortnight after throwing the biggest hissy fit possible. bluelaugh.gif

I strangely enjoy reading that list, reminds me that we have done something decent... most premiership clubs would gladly have swapped places with us over the years.

Well apart from the 10 or so clubs that have actually won something during that period ;)

We've had some good times, but for the amount we've spent, the return has been very poor.

I strangely enjoy reading that list, reminds me that we have done something decent... most premiership clubs would gladly have swapped places with us over the years.

Well apart from the 10 or so clubs that have actually won something during that period ;)

We've had some good times, but for the amount we've spent, the return has been very poor.

Not so sure, the majority of premiership clubs would swap their records 1992-2000ish with ours. I would rather have our record than won the Carling Cup just so we can 'have some silverware'.

Guest sittingontheball

Dumb question from an expat here, but I missed most of 95/96 and wasn't online till the following year. When people say we were 12 points ahead, that wasn't off the same number of games played, was it? Does anyone have a copy of the table at that time?

Dumb question from an expat here, but I missed most of 95/96 and wasn't online till the following year. When people say we were 12 points ahead, that wasn't off the same number of games played, was it? Does anyone have a copy of the table at that time?

Man Yoo had two games in hand.

Guest sittingontheball

Cheers. I wasn't sure whether it was one or two. Six points is still a big lead, I suppose.

If Man Yoo win again this time, I bet no one says, "but Liverpool were nine points ahead".

Arsenal too had a big lead a couple of years back, but ended up third.

Cheers. I wasn't sure whether it was one or two. Six points is still a big lead, I suppose.

If Man Yoo win again this time, I bet no one says, "but Liverpool were nine points ahead".

Arsenal too had a big lead a couple of years back, but ended up third.

I'm pretty sure that Man U blew a similar lead a couple of seasons later to Arsenal but nothing is made of it.

We were only 12 points clear for 24 hours btw.