Is Dennis Wise a disruptive influence? Or are the fans making him one?

The Prophet

Depends what you consider his job to be, from what was said at the time it's his responsibility to improve the flow of young players we have coming into the academy and getting some sort of scouting network in place with Vetere, it's early days but improvements are being made.

We don't know how the young lads will turn out that are coming here but it's a step in the right direction, so far Ranger has come in and banged the goals in for the under 18's and if you want to go younger than that he's brought in 2 England under 16 players in Spear and Alnwick, add to that Haris Vuckic that we know of and I'd say it was a good start, it's early days though but you would think it would get better in time.

It's hard to say how much our scouting network has progressed because like most clubs you don't hear much about them from the horses mouth but you read now and again that we've spotted a young lad somewhere and invited him for a trial, something that we've needed for years now.

Guest Geordiesned

He is a cunt.

Evidence?

I've got plenty DVD's of his playing career as evidence and if you do a search on google for him including the word "taxi" you'll find more evidence!

After all thats went on, and because of the lack of communication, I am suspicous & worried about how much power he has.

And in the long run, I also dont agree with him bieng involved in the recruitment of the first team. Academy/younger players, no problem, seemingly fine work already been done in that department, and a refreshing change too.

Imo the first team should be managed 100% by the manager, who has signs the players he wants, has his own set up of scouts, all on the budget given to him. So it is clear & precise, see the thread: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59613.msg1663112.html#msg1663112

I think Wise should have, say, 3-4m for getting some cheap bargains for the first team.  Certainly the manager should have the control but it isn't a bad idea to give Wise a small budget when he's doing extensive scouting.

I understand the potential of that, but for me it should be 100% the manager.

Wise might even bring in a good player, but dosent nessicarily fit into the dynamic of the team the manager is building. And once players are signed who do not turn out to be any good, it falls apart, because its the manager who is accountable.

Should be either general scout, or recruiting young/academy players imo.

Guest Geordiesned

Jesus christ people on here, who do you think found some of our current signings in the summer and academy lads? Just because he was a twat as a player doesn't mean he can't do a good job.

When's he going to start doing it then? I couldn't give a fuck if he's bringing in kids for the academy if he's not bringing in players for the first team. If we go down then any decent talent in the academy will be poached by the bigger clubs anyway.

Jesus christ people on here, who do you think found some of our current signings in the summer and academy lads? Just because he was a twat as a player doesn't mean he can't do a good job.

When's he going to start doing it then? I couldn't give a fuck if he's bringing in kids for the academy if he's not bringing in players for the first team. If we go down then any decent talent in the academy will be poached by the bigger clubs anyway.

Even if that's not part of his job? ???

It's the ignorant people who've decided he isn't going to get a chance to do his job that are the problem.

Or maybe people dont agree with the job?

You don't think we should have someone in dedicated to bringing in young talent to fill our academy?

It's the ignorant people who've decided he isn't going to get a chance to do his job that are the problem.

You don't think we should have someone in dedicated to bringing in young talent to fill our academy?

No, I think we should, and if that is Wise's role then thats brilliant.

But it seems that his role also makes him involved in the transfers of first team players, thats what I have a problem with.

Guest Geordiesned

Even if that's not part of his job? ???

Eh?! So whose job is it then?? Kinnear said at the start of the transfer window that player recruitment was down to Dennis Wise.

That's hardly Wise's fault.

Its not his fault personally no. A lot of people are not happy with his percieved role, the potential interference & conflict it may bring.

Guest Darth Toon

People like Sir Bobby Robson?

It is no surprise that Kevin Keegan left this week. For a proud manager like him, it must have been impossible to work under the control of Dennis Wise. First of all, the director of football was more powerful than the manager, which should never be the case. And secondly, they did not work in unison, which means communicating face to face. How could they, when Kevin was there at the club, and Wise was not?

My view is quite clear. You cannot work for Newcastle United from the other end of the country. Dennis Wise has to be based in Newcastle, meeting the manager regularly, talking to him, understanding what he wants. If he will not do that and put the club first by moving north, you have to get rid of him.

It reminded me of a pre-season match at Doncaster. I was sitting at the back of the stand and Dennis, who had watched the first half much nearer the front, accidentally tried to take my seat when I had popped away for a half-time cup of tea. His reasons later became clear to me: he wanted to slip out unnoticed 10 minutes into the second half. At such a crucial time for watching and learning, as pre-season is, I was surprised - I would have thought he would have wanted to watch the game to the end, and talk with Kevin about where the team needed strengthening.

You cannot imagine Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Rafa Benitez being handed players they did not know anything about. And no manager worth his salt is going to take the Newcastle job with the current set-up.

Can you imagine Alan Shearer or Steve Bruce being given Xisco or a player called Gonzalez they had never seen or heard of? Nor can I, which is why I fear neither proud Geordie would consider the job at the moment with Wise all-powerful.

What is on Dennis Wise's CV to inspire confidence that he can shop round Europe and bring the best players to St James' Park? He worked for Swindon, Millwall and Leeds. Freddy Shepherd got a few things wrong but maybe the club should reintroduce one tradition. If you want to work for Newcastle United, you have to live within 20 miles of St James' Park.

People like Sir Bobby Robson?

It is no surprise that Kevin Keegan left this week. For a proud manager like him, it must have been impossible to work under the control of Dennis Wise. First of all, the director of football was more powerful than the manager, which should never be the case. And secondly, they did not work in unison, which means communicating face to face. How could they, when Kevin was there at the club, and Wise was not?

My view is quite clear. You cannot work for Newcastle United from the other end of the country. Dennis Wise has to be based in Newcastle, meeting the manager regularly, talking to him, understanding what he wants. If he will not do that and put the club first by moving north, you have to get rid of him.

It reminded me of a pre-season match at Doncaster. I was sitting at the back of the stand and Dennis, who had watched the first half much nearer the front, accidentally tried to take my seat when I had popped away for a half-time cup of tea. His reasons later became clear to me: he wanted to slip out unnoticed 10 minutes into the second half. At such a crucial time for watching and learning, as pre-season is, I was surprised - I would have thought he would have wanted to watch the game to the end, and talk with Kevin about where the team needed strengthening.

You cannot imagine Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Rafa Benitez being handed players they did not know anything about. And no manager worth his salt is going to take the Newcastle job with the current set-up.

Can you imagine Alan Shearer or Steve Bruce being given Xisco or a player called Gonzalez they had never seen or heard of? Nor can I, which is why I fear neither proud Geordie would consider the job at the moment with Wise all-powerful.

What is on Dennis Wise's CV to inspire confidence that he can shop round Europe and bring the best players to St James' Park? He worked for Swindon, Millwall and Leeds. Freddy Shepherd got a few things wrong but maybe the club should reintroduce one tradition. If you want to work for Newcastle United, you have to live within 20 miles of St James' Park.

In this case yes, people like Bobby Robson if you want to use him as an example.

Perhaps Robson's opinion is formed because he went out and signed Cordone, Bassedas and Gavilan because Mick Wadsworth told him they were good, a man who had managed Scarborough, Colchester and Carlisle.

Although I'm not sure what clubs you've managed has anything to do with your ability to scout players, unless all of Arsenal's scouts were top class managers in the CL before taking up the job in which case I'll take it back.

Ok then... suppose tomorrow i want to play for NUFC 1st team because i still got 2 good feet...

and you blames NUFC fans ignorant because NUFC fans gutted about me...

Ok then... suppose tomorrow i want to play for NUFC 1st team because i still got 2 good feet...

I've read that 4 times and it still doesn't make sense.

I only wish I understood that.

Perhaps Robson's opinion is formed because he went out and signed Cordone, Bassedas and Gavilan because Mick Wadsworth told him they were good, a man who had managed Scarborough, Colchester and Carlisle.

Although I'm not sure what clubs you've managed has anything to do with your ability to scout players, unless all of Arsenal's scouts were top class managers in the CL before taking up the job in which case I'll take it back.

Excellent post.  You'll get slaughtered for it though. :nods:

Ask yourselves this.

Are you happy with the current situation at Newcastle.

If you are, then hes not a disruptive influence.and you could 'enjoy' us being relegated.

If  your not,.. then do you believe DW. influenced us getting here.

If you think he had no influence, then why is he on the payroll.

or as i see it,.. we are in the shit, and he was a big influence in us getting here.

the point is ....wise shouldn't given no. 1 in charge at a club as big as NUFC. is not his level yet. who's he?

every know dennis wise.. but the capabilities? no? i suppose...

i bet keegan gutted with him... because wise is acting like big shot guy or something

the point is ....wise shouldn't given no. 1 in charge at a club as big as NUFC. is not his level yet. who's he?

every know dennis wise.. but the capabilities? no? i suppose...

i bet keegan gutted with him... because wise is acting like big shot guy or something

Again................ ???