Is Dennis Wise a disruptive influence? Or are the fans making him one?

The Prophet

If people are so unsure over what his duties are, or should be, and what he's currently doing, then how is it possible to apportion blame?  We're in the s*** but just how much of it can 100%, incontrovertibly be traced back to him and him alone?

People suspect he is an interference with the first team, and dont agree with that - the suspicion has grown because of any lack of denial from Wise himself.

That's a fair point; why hasn't Wise himself had anything to say on, well anything? If he's just a youth scout then fair enough, but why the fancy title, 'assisting the board' etc?

All we've had are these anonymous statements which when compared to one another are as clear as mud.

If he came out and said anything would people believe him? ???

The possibility of a claim for constructive dismissal from Keegan probably plays some sort of part in the lack of comments on people's roles from the club tbh.

No, not everyone would not believe him, but it would obviously help a lot just to hear from him, and a lot more people would potentially be more accepting of the role if it sounded ok about fair.

So he dosent have to talk about the past, talk about now, this window, when the clubs off the market, we are potentially buying players again, he can confirm his role from this point onwards.

Guest The Libertine

I can't see what Xisco has to do with anything. Keegan spoke to him therefore he supported his signing over the players he wanted? From what I know of KK and his relationship with players, I wouldn't have expected him to just ignore Xisco and refuse to talk to him regardless of whether he'd wanted him or not.

I thought Xisco and Gonzales coming in were the main reason for Keegan walking out?  ???

Baggio is consistently banging this drum that Keegan approved Xisco because he spoke to him. As if he would have done anything else ffs.

KK also seemed happy at the time we became a PLC.

Baggio is like NE5 he barricades himself into a standpoint & does not change.

I'll be more than happy to change my opinion if you have any proof to back yours up.

"Kevin Keegan's chief complaint, amongst others, is that it was always agreed that the director of football could not impose a player that the manager did not want."

And that is supposed to prove what?

very little atm. its just his word against the clubs word.

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team."

"It is a fact Keegan was allowed to manage his duties without any interference,"

If people are so unsure over what his duties are, or should be, and what he's currently doing, then how is it possible to apportion blame?  We're in the s*** but just how much of it can 100%, incontrovertibly be traced back to him and him alone?

People suspect he is an interference with the first team, and dont agree with that - the suspicion has grown because of any lack of denial from Wise himself.

That's a fair point; why hasn't Wise himself had anything to say on, well anything? If he's just a youth scout then fair enough, but why the fancy title, 'assisting the board' etc?

All we've had are these anonymous statements which when compared to one another are as clear as mud.

The possibility of a claim for constructive dismissal from Keegan probably plays some sort of part in the lack of comments on people's roles from the club tbh.

Fair enough, as you say there would be many waiting to pounce on anything he said.

But as I said before, if he's merely a glorified scout, what is there to be afraid of? If he and his team are responsible for the young players then nobody can find fault with that. If he and his team were responsible for bringing in the likes of Bassong and Jonas on the cheap then nobody can find fault with that. If they're keeping quiet because of the Keegan claim, what does that say to us lot? It suggests they have something to hide.

Exacly, but as you say, the silence (aswell as Keegan walking) suggests he/the system is in the wrong.

I can't see what Xisco has to do with anything. Keegan spoke to him therefore he supported his signing over the players he wanted? From what I know of KK and his relationship with players, I wouldn't have expected him to just ignore Xisco and refuse to talk to him regardless of whether he'd wanted him or not.

I thought Xisco and Gonzales coming in were the main reason for Keegan walking out?  ???

Baggio is consistently banging this drum that Keegan approved Xisco because he spoke to him. As if he would have done anything else ffs.

I'll be more than happy to change my opinion if you have any proof to back yours up.

"Kevin Keegan's chief complaint, amongst others, is that it was always agreed that the director of football could not impose a player that the manager did not want."

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team."

Notice transfers are not on that list.

It's fairly clear what he does as it says in the article. It's just to what capacity does he carry out those roles. For example how involved is he in player recruitment?

Eh? :lol:

His job is defined as:

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment.

Basically Ashley and the board didn't (and possibly still don't) have a scooby how to run a football club so they asked Wise to not advise them on footballing matters due to his experience in the game. This as it says above conducting their end of the transfer business and adding to the academy.

The problem is defining how far those roles of "assisting" the board go. Does he go scouting? Does he sit on the negotiating table and most importantly does he work with or above the manager. Like you say, it's ambiguous but it's a starting point hence being "fairly clear" as a pose to being "crystal clear".

>:D

Youve said it yourself, and showed why people are suspicious, its not clear enough is it (especially in amongst all the speculation)?

Yes, he's an easy target for who he is. But what makes me angry is the fact his role has been described in such a way that it cover's a lot of potenial roles. It makes me angry that this system, i.e. him bieng involved in the first team, and potentially forcing players on the manager, has had a negative effect on a potential positive direction the club could have went under Keegan, and that a legend such as KK deserves much better. It is annoying that even now, amongst all the speculation, Wise has still not confirmed what his role is definetely about. That not only worries me in terms of the structure and the credibility ofi it, but the silence also feels like two fingers up at the fans.

I was being a pedant more than anything in the post above (also it makes little sense now I've re-read it).

No his position isn't entirely clear but had Wise been in say Jiminez position he would of still got flack. Why? Because he's Dennis Wise. I don't like him as much as the next man but that shouldn't influence people's opinion on the job he's done. Even if his role his clarified he will still be surrounded by this negative vibe: a) Because of who he is b) Because he will be forever associated with Keegan's departure.

As for your other point the system could potentially take the club in a positive direction. It was just a mistake trying to fit Keegan into it.

That players were imposed on Keegan. Didn't think anything else need pointing out.

I didn't say that wasn't the case though. ???

So which players were imposed on KK in your opinion?

Not bothered about fact just your opinion.

Fair enough, as you say there would be many waiting to pounce on anything he said.

But as I said before, if he's merely a glorified scout, what is there to be afraid of? If he and his team are responsible for the young players then nobody can find fault with that. If he and his team were responsible for bringing in the likes of Bassong and Jonas on the cheap then nobody can find fault with that. If they're keeping quiet because of the Keegan claim, what does that say to us lot? It suggests they have something to hide.

It doesn't suggest they have something to hide (although they may have tbh, who knows).  They can't be criticised for protecting their position though. 

I think that's why they initially released that "It is a fact..." statement, setting out the basis of their case and have not commented again on it.  And they've taken some serious shit for that, rightly or wrongly, but in the world of million pound compensation claims, they probably did the right thing.

If the potential court case gets resolved though, there'll be no excuse for the lack of communication if it continues.

Exacly, but as you say, the silence (aswell as Keegan walking) suggests he/the system is in the wrong.

Why hasn't Keegan given any interviews?

That players were imposed on Keegan. Didn't think anything else need pointing out.

I don't know, possibly Gonzalaz, maybe all of them.

As I've said if he did walk out over Xisco after sitting down with the lad and convincing him to come here then that says a lot about the bloke.

Guest northwestmag1892

Anyone fancy defining his role with accuracy?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1227633,00.html

NEWCASTLE United announces that Dennis Wise has agreed to join the Club in the role of Executive Director (Football). Also joining the Club are Tony Jimenez as Vice President (Player Recruitment) and Jeff Vetere, who joins from Real Madrid in the position of Technical Co-ordinator.

Dennis will assist the Board on football-related matters, including the development of the Club's Academy and player recruitment. He will report to the Chairman.Tony and Jeff will also assist in player recruitment.

The arrival of these three new recruits follows on from the recent appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager. Kevin will be responsible for all matters related to the First Team.

Chairman Chris Mort said: "This is all part of the vision that recently helped us to secure Kevin Keegan's return to the Club as manager.

"Two of the conclusions of our strategic review, since acquiring the Club, were that the Club would benefit from having a football person involved at Board level, which it has not had historically, and that further senior resources are needed for recruiting players of the highest quality from this country and further afield.

"Dennis would like to move away from day-to-day football management to a Board role and, with his considerable energy and intelligence, we believe he will do very well in this new position.

"With Kevin able to devote his efforts to developing and running the first team squad, Dennis, Tony and Jeff will each help us to secure success for Newcastle United Football Club at all levels and for the long-term. One or two further key appointments will follow in the months ahead."

:buck2:

:buck2: x 1000

The first bit in bold implies that KK has/had total control but its sort of watered down by the second.

Ambiguous at best.

Wonder if this was intentional or just a coincidence?

What was Mort's profession?

Lawyer

I don't know, possibly Gonzalaz, maybe all of them.

As I've said if he did walk out over Xisco after sitting down with the lad and convincing him to come here then that says a lot about the bloke.

Fair answer.

Laters....

I notice The Prophet mentions Jimenez there. I wonder who is doing the negotiating these days in his absense?

It's okay to say Bassong and Jonas were fine 'value-for-money' deals, but will Wise's team be able to pull of the same type of coups without him?

An unexplored avenue is that the club just doesn't feel it's pertinent to release such information because it serves no purpose. 

People tend to think in terms of what they would do, placing themselves in the place of the club and justifying or not justifying decisions that way.  What they normally fail to do is forget their own priorities as a supporter when projecting like that.  The club, in particular messrs Ashley, Wise and Llambias clearly have a different set (not necessarily better or worse, just different) and so don't fit in with trying to reason things out like that. 

I notice The Prophet mentions Jimenez there. I wonder who is doing the negotiating these days in his absense?

It's okay to say Bassong and Jonas were fine 'value-for-money' deals, but will Wise's team be able to pull of the same type of coups without him?

On the plus side if we get ripped off on transfers now he's gone it will make the people who get a hard on over net spend happier.

Something else that isnt touched on much, as a member of the board is it not the norm to have the manager report to the directors regarding transfers andstuff like that - its then upto the board to decide upon whether to pursue the player, does that not go someway to explain any ambiguity on the issue.

It does to me.

On the plus side if we get ripped off on transfers now he's gone it will make the people who get a hard on over net spend happier.

I thought we established the club had no net money to spend?

Guest The Libertine

Notice transfers are not on that list.

the original "job clarification" statement from mort back in january didnt mention them either. weird.

An unexplored avenue is that the club just doesn't feel it's pertinent to release such information because it serves no purpose. 

People tend to think in terms of what they would do, placing themselves in the place of the club and justifying or not justifying decisions that way.  What they normally fail to do is forget their own priorities as a supporter when projecting like that.  The club, in particular messrs Ashley, Wise and Llambias clearly have a different set (not necessarily better or worse, just different) and so don't fit in with trying to reason things out like that. 

Again, fair enough. But I feel they are completely misjudging their 'customers' if that is the case. We're NOT the same as Sports Direct shoppers, who can choose to go elsewhere at any time.

Perhaps Kinnear was telling the truth when he said Ashley was going to put another £8 million of his own money into running the club?

Perhaps Kinnear was telling the truth...

Nah. ;)

I don't think he has disrupted anything, despite being blamed for just about everything which has gone wrong he has kept a professional silence and on the evidence of recruitment so far (albeit perhaps not enough) he seems to be bringing decent players and youngsters into the club.

As someone who (like everyone else in Newcastle) once hated Wise and loved Keegan, I've got to say that whatever happened it's Wise I admire more now.

Keegan had the backing and love of the fans and was at a club he supposedly loved and yet walked out on us (again) the moment there was an issue to be addressed. Wise despite having no popular backing has stuck to his job when frankly it would have been much easier for him to walk.

Wise love him or hate him (and most hate him) was always a tough little f*cker and I quite admire that. He just seems to be getting on with the job he was contracted to do but will always be a convenient scapegoat for justifying Keegan's walk out.

Why hasn't Keegan given any interviews?

Because of potential legal reasons. He is not at the club, Wise IS, and while Wise cant comment on the past, he can talk about NOW.

I don't think he has disrupted anything, despite being blamed for just about everything which has gone wrong he has kept a professional silence and on the evidence of recruitment so far (albeit perhaps not enough) he seems to be bringing decent players and youngsters into the club.

As someone who (like everyone else in Newcastle) once hated Wise and loved Keegan, I've got to say that whatever happened it's Wise I admire more now.

Keegan had the backing and love of the fans and was at a club he supposedly loved and yet walked out on us (again) the moment there was an issue to be addressed. Wise despite having no popular backing has stuck to his job when frankly it would have been much easier for him to walk.

Wise love him or hate him (and most hate him) was always a tough little f*cker and I quite admire that. He just seems to be getting on with the job he was contracted to do but will always be a convenient scapegoat for justifying Keegan's walk out.

All that may be perfectly right but at the end of the day I still don't really know what he does for this club. It's a bit hard to praise him for sticking to his job when we don't fully understand what it is.

All that may be perfectly right but at the end of the day I still don't really know what he does for this club. It's a bit hard to praise him for sticking to his job when we don't fully understand what it is.

By the same token it's even more harsh to criticise him for it.