Are we just going to take this?

Guest Howaythetoon

I said a week ago in another thread I hope there's loads of protests and if that resulted in relegation, so be it! The premiership is not all that it’s cracked up to be anyway!  I'd rather be a set of fans who don't stand for being walked over than a set of fans who settle for Premiership survival at the expense of their pride! Would you let anyone else treat you as Ashley has since he's owned the club? Not only is he embarrassing the club but also the city and region!

Before people say back the club/team, where has that ever got us? Anyone who says that should read the book which marked NUFC's history since we last won a domestic cup! Various owners over the years have done nothing but treat the fans with contempt! This has got to end!

Also the club is not Ashley's, the club belongs to the fans, and in my view NUFC is nothing but the fans! So I'd rather get relegated if that meant Ashley left and we got in a decent owner who would know he'd have to treat the fans with respect. It would also be a chance to finally move on, the new owners and fans together!

Also for anyone who says you’re not a real fan if you don’t support the team, well at this moment in time I think supporting the club is more damaging long term as it just allows people to get away with conning the fans!

I just think it would be a watershed in NUFC’s history as I don’t think the fans have ever stood up for themselves! I'm not after millions being spent or anything but just want to be treat with common decency!!

What makes you think the next owner will be any better than the current one?

What do you classify as being treat with common decency?

Who said you're not a fan if you don't support the team?

What do you classify as not standing up for ourselves?

How is the club ours?

How is relegation going to help us?

How is boycotting club merchandise or tickets going to help?

Can you please answer all of these?

What makes you think the next owner will be any better than the current one?

*Simple question to answer, if the next owner is not better than the current one, then we chase them out of town as well. For me it's about setting standards as a set of fans of what we will tolerate. For example do you think Liverpool fans would put up with what we've had to go through the last few years? Dennis Wise as DOF???

What do you classify as being treat with common decency?

*For starters not having a owner, chairman and manager who either say nothing or come out with a right load of rubbish. Try to communicate with the fans rather than treat them with contempt.

Who said you're not a fan if you don't support the team?

*I've seen that on here by a few people, in numerous threads I've seen people say that "if you stop supporting the team then you're not a real supporter".

What do you classify as not standing up for ourselves?

*Basically what we're doing now, all I hear fans say is lets support the team. Where has that got us and who in the team deserves out support? That's why I'd like to see more organised demonstrations to show people that we've had enough.

How is the club ours?

*How is the club ours? Easy one to answer as we are the people who put the money into the club, without the fans the club would be nothing. Without Ashley the club would still exist, without the manager the club would still exist, without the players the club would still exist.

How is relegation going to help us?

*Could be a fresh start, as I mentioned earlier it's about setting standards.

How is boycotting club merchandise or tickets going to help?

*It will show the club that they can no longer take us for granted, a sign that we've had  enough.

I'm not going to get into lengthy emails but just to clarify my thoughts a little bit. As a club we've now gone over 50 years without winning a single domestic trophy and throughout that time the fans have done nothing but support the team. We've had consecutive owners who have mismanaged the club so badly it’s hard to believe!

In my view the unconditional support that the team gets is one of the reasons why we’ve never fulfilled our potential. It just makes the club ripe for exploitation as an owner knows that the fans are going to support the team regardless of how well the club is managed.

Look over the last few years, we’ve had Souness, Roeder and Kinnear. The reaction of most fans has been to give them a chance and support the team even though nearly everyone knew deep down that it was never going to work! Would it not have been better for the club if as a group of fans to have protested and said no way to these managers? Whoever was in charge of the club would soon come to realise that they’d have to think carefully about what decisions they made as they could no longer rely on the fans acting like sheep which is what we’ve mostly done over the last 50 years, myself included!!

As I mentioned earlier in my answer to one of your questions it’s all about setting standards and for too long we’ve settled for second best without doing anything about it. So I think as a set of fans we need to break this chain of unconditional support to the team/club and demonstrate when the club is plainly being badly ran. Lets have some accountability!

If this meant relegation, so be it because I think in the long run it would be for the benefit of the club.  If as a set of fans we changed our mind set and let the powers in charge know when we’re not happy, they would soon up their act as they would know that they could no longer  count us to keep supporting the club come what may!

Obviously any new owner is not going to get every decision right, but it would be good to know that the club has at least tried to make a good decision for the benefit of the club which hasn’t always been the case.