You are the Manager - England vs Spain

Delima

What would be your starting line up for England against Spain?

England

Goalkeepers: Green (West Ham), Hart (Man City), James (Portsmouth).

Defenders: Bridge (Man City), A Cole (Chelsea), R Ferdinand (Man Utd), Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham), L Young (Villa).

Midfielders: Beckham (LA Galaxy), Barry (Villa), Carrick (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Villa), Wright-Phillips (Man City), A Young (Villa).

Forwards: Agbonlahor (Villa), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Portsmouth), Heskey (Villa).

Look at the strikers - are England experiencing a drought of decent strikers?

My choice would be 442 with the following players

Green

L Young, Jagielka, Ferdinand, A Cole

Milner, Carrick, Lampard, A Young

Agbonlahor, Heskey

Spain

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Reina (Liverpool).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Valencia), Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Juanito (Real Betis),Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona).

Midfielders: David Silva (Valencia), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool), Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Albert Riera (Liverpool), Marcos Senna (Villarreal).

Forwards: David Villa (Valencia), Daniel Guiza (Fenerbahce), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao).

Casillas,

Ramos, Puyol, Pique, Capdevila

Iniesta, Senna, Xavi, Silva

Villa, Torres

Compare Spain and England ...  :-X

Hopefully Capello works his magic.

James

Johnson     Ferdinand     Terry     A. Cole

Beckham     Carrick     Lampard     Barry

Agbonlahor     Heskey

Bit pedestrian in midfield, but then Spain are hardly rapid either.

I think there'll be a fair few injuries before the game though, as always, which will see things shuffled about a fair bit.

With the Villa boys being the best English players in the Premier League at the moment, I think it would be an interesting experiment to play all of them.

Think Agbonlahor/Heskey/Barry will be enough as Milner and Young would potentially get shown up against a team as technically good as Spain, Milner in particular. Luke Young is simply not that good and hasn't even been playing right-back for Villa, although I appreciate that Johnson and Portsmouth are hardly having a great time of it at the back.

With the Villa boys being the best English players in the Premier League at the moment, I think it would be an interesting experiment to play all of them.

Think Agbonlahor/Heskey/Barry will be enough as Milner and Young would potentially get shown up against a team as technically good as Spain, Milner in particular. Luke Young is simply not that good and hasn't even been playing right-back for Villa, although I appreciate that Johnson and Portsmouth are hardly having a great time of it at the back.

I dunno, I just think that if there was ever a time to experiment with a bunch of players who know each other very well and see how much of an effect that can have, the time is now.