U23s & Academy

Skirge

No surprise really, there team has quite a few players who have played plenty of league football & they are not a part-time team like teams used to be in the Conference. The Gateshead team they beat does not have a similar amount of players who have played as many games in the Football League. Also Dickie Dosh knows our players inside out.

Just got back from the Luton game, was pretty poor by all accounts. Tozer was shocking and was subbed at half time but the entire defence was pretty woeful. Midfield didn't help too much, was a pretty big gap between the midfield and defence the whole game which left them a bit isolated but some of the mistakes were pretty schoolboy. Full backs never got tight and Newton spent much of the game with his head in his hands.

Ranger look pissed off after about twenty minutes and a couple of neat touches aside, Vuckic barely had a kick. Lua Lua was pretty awful and expected a bit more from Edmundsson and Inman. Donaldson looked our most impressive player first half, went quiet when he was moved further upfield as we were so poor getting it from the back. Alnwick had a few shifty clearances, for the third should have come out, for the fourth did come out to clear then was beaten from 40-odd yards!

Ranger took his goal well, but Beardsley didn't look overly impressed with the teams performance as a whole. Luton were good and looked like they wanted it a hell of a lot more.

Guest antz1uk

just noticed he played in the Newcastle XI v Luton last night along with ranger and vukic

Why do you think we are talking about him? :lol:

apologies too late and tired to read back a page :)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just got back from the Luton game, was pretty poor by all accounts. Tozer was shocking and was subbed at half time but the entire defence was pretty woeful. Midfield didn't help too much, was a pretty big gap between the midfield and defence the whole game which left them a bit isolated but some of the mistakes were pretty schoolboy. Full backs never got tight and Newton spent much of the game with his head in his hands.

Ranger look pissed off after about twenty minutes and a couple of neat touches aside, Vuckic barely had a kick. Lua Lua was pretty awful and expected a bit more from Edmundsson and Inman. Donaldson looked our most impressive player first half, went quiet when he was moved further upfield as we were so poor getting it from the back. Alnwick had a few shifty clearances, for the third should have come out, for the fourth did come out to clear then was beaten from 40-odd yards!

Ranger took his goal well, but Beardsley didn't look overly impressed with the teams performance as a whole. Luton were good and looked like they wanted it a hell of a lot more.

Only a young lad, though seems to be an ongoing issue has with his decision making and kicking, still only young, plenty of time for him to improve it and learn.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Info on Billy Ions, young lad we signed during the winter, who should be appearing for the U16/U18s this season:

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000025/0/26957/football-article.html

02.01.2010 - Chris Todd: How did you get snapped up by CD Tenerife?

Billy Ions: I was playing for the Tenerife South Selection and I was spotted by a scout at the match. Three of us playing that day were asked to sign up with CD Tenerife. As far as I am aware I am the first ever ex-pat to make the grade at my age.

CT: How many times to do you train each week?

BI: We train four times per week at the Tenerife training camp at Geneto near to La Laguna. There are four full size pitches, one grass and three artificial. The club pro­vides a free mini-bus service for all the youth players from the South of the Island for the 100 mile round trip.

CT: Have you had any trials with other clubs?

BI: Yes; Sunderland, Man.Utd and West Bromwich Albion.

CT: What are your strong points?

BI: Strength on the ball and power of shot.

CT: And your weaknesses?

BI: I need to practice more with my left foot. Also to keep training hard in order to accomplish my ambition to become a professional footballer.

CT: How do you rate the standard of football in your league, the Preferente Cadete Tenerife?

BI: To be honest there are five competitive teams out of the twenty in the league. CD Tenerife often win by six or seven goals as you may ex­pect as the best young play­ers in theory should end up at the Island’s main club. We have scored 93 goals in our 14 matches this season. The best win was a 13-0 demoli­tion of El Médano.

CT: So are you running away with the league?

BI:  No, but we are currently four points clear of Aguilas Atletico from Adeje who are followed closely by Laguna and UD Ibarra from El Fraile.

CT: Club supported as boy?

BI: Newcastle United

CT:  Who are your football­ing heroes?

BI: Alan Shearer and Fernando Torres.

CT:  Biggest influence on your career so far? 

BI: My father. He has been known to play a bit himself!

CT: Which player in world football today would you like to play alongside?

BI: Leo Messi (FC Barcelona)

CT: What player would you compare yourself to?

BI: Fernando Torres

CT: If you make it through the ranks of CD Tenerife where would you most like to score your first goal?

BI: That would be easy. At a Real Madrid v Tenerife game in front of 80,000 in the Bernabeu.

CT: Where do you expect CD Tenerife Cadete (U-16) to finish this season?

BI: I am very confident that we will win the champion­ship.

Billy’s first match of the New Year will be a tough match against CD Marino in Las Américas on Sunday Jan 10th. Check www.futbol­me.com for kick off details. Search for “Cadete” then scroll down for “Preferente Cadete Tenerife”.

Thanks Billy and good luck for the future!

By Chris Todd

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Honestly know nothing about him, but a quick google search reveals:

http://www.cfcnet.co.uk/under-18s/billy-knott/

2009/10 season

After recovering from his cruciate ligament injury, Billy came back into the academy team but struggled to adapt to the team’s new 4-4-2 diamond formation, having spent his formative years at the club solely operating in a 4-4-3. To instill some defensive work ethic in his game, the club coaches started to use him at left-back, where he was still able to get forward effectively, whilst improving his all-round ability. Despite playing further back he went on a six game goalscoring run, including his first for the reserve team, and looks as at home in the back four as he has in attack. The aim for the second half of the season is to press on and make an impact in the reserve team.

Club is thin on Leftbacks at the moment.