Blatter "has concerns" over strength of Premiership

Fugazi

I think if the pattern continues (English clubs dominating) that the move towards the next inevitable consequence will become all the quicker... a European Super League which will probably replace the CL.  It's been talked about for years and if clubs such as those from Spain, Germany and Italy feel they are becoming left behind, then they will push for it (for a bigger slice of the pie) All in all - doesn't bode well for the future of football, IMO.

I think if the pattern continues (English clubs dominating) that the move towards the next inevitable consequence will become all the quicker... a European Super League which will probably replace the CL.  It's been talked about for years and if clubs such as those from Spain, Germany and Italy feel they are becoming left behind, then they will push for it (for a bigger slice of the pie) All in all - doesn't bode well for the future of football, IMO.

The irrational part of my brain actually wants a European Super League. Get the Sky four and their good for nothing fans to fuck off to their own league so we don't have to deal with them and I don't have to stress over eight unwinnable games every year.

The rational part then comes in to remind me that with a European Super League, the Premiership would quickly become the new Championship and NUFC would be royally fucked.

Oh well.

The irrational part of my brain actually wants a European Super League. Get the Sky four and their good for nothing fans to fuck off to their own league so we don't have to deal with them and I don't have to stress over eight unwinnable games every year.

The rational part then comes in to remind me that with a European Super League, the Premiership would quickly become the new Championship and NUFC would be royally fucked.

Oh well.

hm, would it be so bad?  surgically remove "the big four", their money and wanker players & fans from the league...there would be a consequent drop in income for the domestic leagues but that would force clubs to be run better and develop their own players more often, forge better links with fans & communities...plus the league would be competitive and probably enjoyable again for anyone not supporting the teams that fucked off

only caveat i'd add is that if they choose to go they can't come back, ever, especially once all their wanker fans and the world get sick of it

get on with it

(only half serious mind)

The irrational part of my brain actually wants a European Super League. Get the Sky four and their good for nothing fans to f*** off to their own league so we don't have to deal with them and I don't have to stress over eight unwinnable games every year.

The rational part then comes in to remind me that with a European Super League, the Premiership would quickly become the new Championship and NUFC would be royally f***ed.

Oh well.

hm, would it be so bad?  surgically remove "the big four", their money and w***** players & fans from the league...there would be a consequent drop in income for the domestic leagues but that would force clubs to be run better and develop their own players more often, forge better links with fans & communities...plus the league would be competitive and probably enjoyable again for anyone not supporting the teams that f***ed off

only caveat i'd add is that if they choose to go they can't come back, ever, especially once all their w***** fans and the world get sick of it

get on with it

(only half serious mind)

a european super league could only run alongside the domestic leagues.

how many full houses would inter get if they were mid table or lower half way through their super league season ?

the way the champs league "league" element is set up is so teams still have an interest almost to the end.

Guest Howaythetoon

There isn't too big a financial gap between the top 3-4 positions in England, Spain, Italy etc. No, the real reason why English teams are seemingly dominating the CL is because for 3 of those teams at least, they have managers who have been there for a few years, in Wenger and Fergie's case, over a decade and two decades respectively, and just as important settled sides on the pitch (If Chelsea have chopped and changed managers, the core of their team has remained the same). Stability. Real, Barca, Inter etc. are forever changing their managers and teams. Bayern have started to do it since Hitzfeld who won it and got to semis and another final (dominating), where as AC have had their manager a long time (by Serie A standards anyway) hence they have won it and finished 2nd or in the semis a few times in recent years (again dominating). Want to reverse the dominance? Hire better or equal managers and give them more than a year or two. I mean Mourinho may not even get another year at Inter. Money obviously helps these clubs but Inter, AC, Barca, Real, Bayern et al all spend money every season or have the ability to do so.