Would You Swap Your Allegiance?

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is about NUFC that you love?   

Given my heaps of happiness in the past and to a lesser extent still now.  It's like having a relative who you haven't seen in ages and so they haven't done anything for you, doesn't mean you don't love them anymore, same if they go off the rails, you still love them deep down even if you hate them for a bit.

If your love of the club changed with a different owner/manager or w/e then you never loved the club in first place IMO.

Guest Howaythetoon

The soul of the club resides in the hearts of those men, women and bairns who support it. No-one can ever take that away, replace it or dilute it.

When I walk past St. James' Park or see that badge I don't think how shit we are or what rubbish plays for us nor our league position - I think of Keegan, Wor Jackie, Shearer, Albert's goal, all the great moments and not so great moments and my own experiences following the club which have often been better than the actual football or result on the pitch. I sense hope, great tradition, pride and even to this day, when I enter the stadium and see that lush pitch I get an overwhelming feeling of excitement - of what may happen within those 90 minutes - regardless of opposition, who is playing for us, managing us, who or what owns the club and most certainly what division we're in.

The fix that is NUFC alone is often enough for me. I get just as excited before a friendly as I would a Premier League fixture. The chance to see my team in action, the opportunity for winning and impressing, for excitement and hope, is very very strong just before kick-off no matter who we play.

Culturally NUFC is so interconnected with the City and who we are as people it often defines us not just within our City walls but outside of them. I travel all over the UK and when people hear my accent the words "Newcastle United" soon crop up. It is so synonymous with our City and us as people it is often inseparable.

In terms of the City and the people when NUFC do bad so do City traders. When we do well business booms. It either lifts spirits or dampens them.

The rejuvenation of the club under Sir John Hall and KK helped trigger the rejuvenation of a City.

It is no coincidence that through the ages of time the state of the club is often reflected in the state of the city and vice versa. If you want to picture what Newcastle as a city was like in the 80s, think of NUFC in the 80s as a football club. A dilapidated stadium, dwindling crowds, protests, no money and going nowhere fast.

The 90s? Revival for club and City.

The 000s? The club is on a downward spiral just as the City is economically and in terms of further redevelopment.

You could argue that this is a mere coincidence due to a recession but looking through the pages of history it is scary just how the two's fortunes seem so interconnected, i.e. if one is doing bad so will the other and vice and versa.

It was actually proved by some study at Newcastle University that business does better when NUFC is playing well and not so good when it isn't.

No other club in this country quite effects the local populace than Newcastle United and that's down to the club being a one city club more than anything and it is that title which leaves us with no choice but to get behind it whether you're willing to invest your hard earned into following it directly or whether you just happen to be a Geordie who because NUFC belongs to your city feels inclined towards wanting it to do well because in the words of me mother who since Shay left can only name Owen as a Toon player "its still wor club"

When I say "wor club" its mine because I am a supporter of it - it is my club to follow and support. When my mother says "wor club" she's not claiming it as hers but its the City's club, like the Tyne Bridge is its main bridge or Fenwicks is a Newcastle business.

I have never experienced that kind of affiliation between a City or town with regards to their own football club or clubs, from Liverpool to Carlisle and all those other places I visit regularly in my job. It just doesn't exist. They either follow their team or don't follow any and have no real affiliation with it.

Everyone has an opinion on Newcastle United in this City be they season ticket holders or people who have never stepped foot inside SJP nor ever will.

It is our club, the people's and the City's and its our only club and always will be.

I fucking love Newcastle me, everything about it, I stand in awe at it. Don't tell me when you take your seat you don't wish you were out there representing it and imagine what that must feel like. Don't tell me when you pass that stadium or see that badge you don't metaphorically speaking doff your hat towards it or salute it or that a big grin as wide as the Tyne doesn't pass over your face. Don't tell me you don't get ultra defensive when someone slags the club off or feel compelled to get into petty and pointless unwinable debates. Don't tell me your heart doesn't skip a beat when we miss a chance or the opposition miss a chance. That's pride, pride in YOUR club.

My brother in law can't stand football or Newcastle United and thinks I am a mug, literally, and we constantly argue about the rationality of my obsession and even though I can't argue with him because he's right, when we score or win however it explains everything, which of course I can only convey in screaming, cheering and jumping around like a lunatic and not in words, but my god I pity those that don't feel the same emotions as me because there are not many better feelings in the world, only sex and seeing your bairn being born and conversely the loss of a loved one can match and exceed such strong feelings of joy or loss that NUFC brings out of me.

Guest thenorthumbrian

The soul of the club resides in the hearts of those men, women and bairns who support it. No-one can ever take that away, replace it or dilute it.

When I walk past St. James' Park or see that badge I don't think how s*** we are or what rubbish plays for us nor our league position - I think of Keegan, Wor Jackie, Shearer, Albert's goal, all the great moments and not so great moments and my own experiences following the club which have often been better than the actual football or result on the pitch. I sense hope, great tradition, pride and even to this day, when I enter the stadium and see that lush pitch I get an overwhelming feeling of excitement - of what may happen within those 90 minutes - regardless of opposition, who is playing for us, managing us, who or what owns the club and most certainly what division we're in.

The fix that is NUFC alone is often enough for me. I get just as excited before a friendly as I would a Premier League fixture. The chance to see my team in action, the opportunity for winning and impressing, for excitement and hope, is very very strong just before kick-off no matter who we play.

Culturally NUFC is so interconnected with the City and who we are as people it often defines us not just within our City walls but outside of them. I travel all over the UK and when people hear my accent the words "Newcastle United" soon crop up. It is so synonymous with our City and us as people it is often inseparable.

In terms of the City and the people when NUFC do bad so do City traders. When we do well business booms. It either lifts spirits or dampens them.

The rejuvenation of the club under Sir John Hall and KK helped trigger the rejuvenation of a City.

It is no coincidence that through the ages of time the state of the club is often reflected in the state of the city and vice versa. If you want to picture what Newcastle as a city was like in the 80s, think of NUFC in the 80s as a football club. A dilapidated stadium, dwindling crowds, protests, no money and going nowhere fast.

The 90s? Revival for club and City.

The 000s? The club is on a downward spiral just as the City is economically and in terms of further redevelopment.

You could argue that this is a mere coincidence due to a recession but looking through the pages of history it is scary just how the two's fortunes seem so interconnected, i.e. if one is doing bad so will the other and vice and versa.

It was actually proved by some study at Newcastle University that business does better when NUFC is playing well and not so good when it isn't.

No other club in this country quite effects the local populace than Newcastle United and that's down to the club being a one city club more than anything and it is that title which leaves us with no choice but to get behind it whether you're willing to invest your hard earned into following it directly or whether you just happen to be a Geordie who because NUFC belongs to your city feels inclined towards wanting it to do well because in the words of me mother who since Shay left can only name Owen as a Toon player "its still wor club"

When I say "wor club" its mine because I am a supporter of it - it is my club to follow and support. When my mother says "wor club" she's not claiming it as hers but its the City's club, like the Tyne Bridge is its main bridge or Fenwicks is a Newcastle business.

I have never experienced that kind of affiliation between a City or town with regards to their own football club or clubs, from Liverpool to Carlisle and all those other places I visit regularly in my job. It just doesn't exist. They either follow their team or don't follow any and have no real affiliation with it.

Everyone has an opinion on Newcastle United in this City be they season ticket holders or people who have never stepped foot inside SJP nor ever will.

It is our club, the people's and the City's and its our only club and always will be.

I f***ing love Newcastle me, everything about it, I stand in awe at it. Don't tell me when you take your seat you don't wish you were out there representing it and imagine what that must feel like. Don't tell me when you pass that stadium or see that badge you don't metaphorically speaking doff your hat towards it or salute it or that a big grin as wide as the Tyne doesn't pass over your face. Don't tell me you don't get ultra defensive when someone slags the club off or feel compelled to get into petty and pointless unwinable debates. Don't tell me your heart doesn't skip a beat when we miss a chance or the opposition miss a chance. That's pride, pride in YOUR club.

My brother in law can't stand football or Newcastle United and thinks I am a mug, literally, and we constantly argue about the rationality of my obsession and even though I can't argue with him because he's right, when we score or win however it explains everything, which of course I can only convey in screaming, cheering and jumping around like a lunatic and not in words, but my god I pity those that don't feel the same emotions as me because there are not many better feelings in the world, only sex and seeing your bairn being born and conversely the loss of a loved one can match and exceed such strong feelings of joy or loss that NUFC brings out of me.

Couldn't disagree with that, and there are now people drifting away from the club - some this season - and almost certainly more next - who would agree with you as well.

As you say Newcastle United represents, or should represent, something more than just a football club.

How in gods name have the people running the club at present managed to leave so many people feeling so disenfranchised in a way that hasn't happened for a long time, if ever ?

Guest Phil K

It was a sad time for me that io actually hesitated before saying no - and for more than a few seconds too.

Its  a personal damning indictment against what Ashley has done to our club and the circus clowns he'd brought in to demolish our club

Guest diddimz

who are the 20?  jesus

Well that leaves just 19more to work out then.

you huh?  brave

Me? No I thought you were telling us Jesus voted :lol: