Financial meltdown?

Guest Wally_McFool

Source?

First one is wiki, others are various forums of Championship clubs talking about it.  But I also just found a quote from Adam Pearson, chairman of Derby City:

Asked if the parachute payments for the current season had already been spent, Pearson said: "That is the case.

"The parachute payments are £23m – £11.5m a year in August 2008 and August 2009.

So it would seem it was slightly more then I thought, £11.5 per year for clubs relegated last season.  Like I said lets just hope it really has gone up again for clubs relegated this season, or instead lets just hope we don't get relegated so it won't matter!

That would be good, but if Ashley doesn’t change is plan we’ll be here again next season. The squad needs strengthening and we need a proper manager, and we can’t have either unless he invests in the business. Restructuring the debts might save a few million in interest but it’s been of no use at all to the most important part of the business.

i'll bet we can get a better manager than kinnear for the money we are paying him.

A lot of the normal staff normally get made redundant when a club is relegated.  Wasn't a large part of the wage bill non-playing staff?

It was, but I doubt that’s down to overstaffing the box office with highly paid ticket sellers. Or the customer service department, especially since they were laid off earlier this year. 

All the obvious corners have already been cut. The cream of the family jewels, already sold.

Which creamy jewels are you referring to there? :)

I’ll give you a clue. It’s not the Shola shaped ones.

We've sold one really good player of course in Given, but the likes of Zog and Milner certainly weren't jewels, balls maybe..

Ashley has fucked up big time, thought he was being a smart arse buying a club like NUFC but its way way to big for him and his clowns to manage.

Fat so should have bought Reading or some random well run  of the same ilk.

Whatever happens now its all down to fat boy trying to be a clever dick.

I bet he cries himself to sleep every night.

Who would have fetched more?

We got very good money for them, but they weren't top players, far from it.  Looking purely at money I'd bet we'd have gotten more for Martins, Gutierrez, Coloccini and now Bassong.

Guest fading star

gutierrez,martins,coloccini.

Couldn’t play for another club this season. Not going to get much for an ineligible player.

Martins might have raised £12m… did anyone bid for him?

We got very good money for them, but they weren't top players, far from it.  Looking purely at money I'd bet we'd have gotten more for Martins, Gutierrez, Coloccini and now Bassong.

I am guessing we will find out exactly how much in the summer :(

Couldn’t play for another club this season. Not going to get much for an ineligible player.

exp;lain to me why he couldn't play for another club.

nobody bid for steven gerrard.....whats your point ?

Guest fading star

They’d have both have played for three clubs in a year?

My point is that your clutching at straws. Wise would have looked like a right donkey if he’d signed players in July and sold them in January. Probably at a loss, judging by Collocini’s form. Selling Jonas might have been a bit difficult while his transfer for Mallorca was subject to a legal battle. Martins was the only one of the three who could have been sold for more than £6m+. And he probably would have gone if anyone had put a bid in.

Have we rejected a bid for any player since Ashley took over?

He's clutching at straws? ???  Sorry man but you're making assumptions based on absolutely nothing.  Given, N'Zogbia and Milner all put in transfer requests.  But yeah whatever you just keep on believing that any player we receive a bid for we'll sell, with no evidence at all to back it up.

My point is that your clutching at straws. Wise would have looked like a right donkey if he’d signed players in July and sold them in January. Probably at a loss, judging by Collocini’s form. Selling Jonas might have been a bit difficult while his transfer for Mallorca was subject to a legal battle. Martins was the only one of the three who could have been sold for more than £6m+. And he probably would have gone if anyone had put a bid in.

you can play for three clubs in a year,but not for 3 in a season.(hence diarra signing for pompey in january after signing for arsenal the previous august).

my point is many still think the money we got for n'zogbia was fair, we got more than milner was worth and we got robbed on given.

ashley has made enough mistakes without you blaming him for the weather and high tides.

Guest fading star

you can play for three clubs in a year,but not for 3 in a season :thup:.(hence diarra signing for pompey in january after signing for arsenal the previous august).

my point is many still think the money we got for n'zogbia was fair, we got more than milner was worth and we got robbed on given.

ashley has made enough mistakes without you blaming him for the weather and high tides.

Calm down. I’m saying there aren’t many corners left for him to cut, and he’s already sold our most saleable assists. You can quibble about whether Coloccini’s market value is greater than Milner’s if you want, but it’s neither here or there.

Player sales will be the only way to service next season's losses if we go down, and as those losses will be gigantic we’ll be left with a paper thin squad made up of kids and free transfers. And that means another relegation scrap.

you can play for three clubs in a year,but not for 3 in a season :thup:.(hence diarra signing for pompey in january after signing for arsenal the previous august).

Calm down. I’m saying there aren’t many corners left for him to cut, and he’s already sold our most saleable assists. You can quibble about whether Coloccini’s market value is greater than Milner’s if you want, but it’s neither here or there.

Player sales will be the only way to service next season's losses if we go down, and as those losses will be gigantic we’ll be left with a paper thin squad made up of kids and free transfers. And that means another relegation scrap.

cutting down debt intrest as well as saving on wages of the likes of viduka and geremi et al will also save a bit.......player wages was by far the largest bill.

Not making the losses to begin with is the best way, which means getting rid of players, but only the really high earners (and the ones who ask to leave of course).  Remove the biggest earners and we can take £30 million off the wage bill without having much of an effect on the team.  I mean who would miss Smith, Geremi, Cacapa, Butt, Duff and Viduka?  Even Barton and Owen have played so little we wouldn't really miss them..

Not making the losses to begin with is the best way, which means getting rid of players, but only the really high earners (and the ones who ask to leave of course).  Remove the biggest earners and we can take £30 million off the wage bill without having much of an effect on the team.  I mean who would miss Smith, Geremi, Cacapa, Butt, Duff and Viduka?  Even Barton and Owen have played so little we wouldn't really miss them..

The physio?

Guest fading star

But you cant sell the players to reduce the operating costs, and then sell them again to cover the drop in income. With three of our most valuable assets already off the books we’d have to sell half the squad to break even. Good you might say, but they have to be replaced with something, and something very cheap. Would replacing Collocini with Craig Short fill you with confidence?

But you cant sell the players to reduce the operating costs, and then sell them again to cover the drop in income. With three of our most valuable assets already off the books we’d have to sell half the squad to break even. Good you might say, but they have to be replaced with something, and something very cheap. Would replacing Collocini with Craig Short fill you with confidence?

I don't get what you mean.  If you reduce the operating costs you already cover the drop in income, because income is used to pay the operating costs..  Plus when you sell the player you not only reduce costs through cutting wages but you also bring money in through transfer fees (if you get a fee that is).

My point is we won't need to sell half the squad to break even if we reduce the costs enough to begin with.

who could we replace geremi,viduka and smith with............ a hat stand a traffic cone and and a cabbage patch doll will only improve the squad.

Guest fading star

I don't get what you mean.   If you reduce the operating costs you already cover the drop in income, because income is used to pay the operating costs..  Plus when you sell the player you not only reduce costs through cutting wages but you also bring money in through transfer fees (if you get a fee that is).

My point is we won't need to sell half the squad to break even if we reduce the costs enough to begin with.

I’m not surprised. It confuses the hell out of me.

There‘s three ‘separate’ losses in the event of relegation.

The fall in TV revenue (£44m)

The fall in gate receipts and corporate stuff (£19)

The predicated operating loss if we’d stayed up (£7m)

Grand total of to break even next season if we go down, £70m.

Now forget Owen. His wages have already been paid upfront with the Northern Rock sponsorship money, and having him off the wage bill would have already been factored into the predicted £7m loss for next season. The same goes for Viduka and probably Geremi who is also out of contract at the end of the season.

So if we are to break even we have to find £40m (after parachute payments) to break even.

<pause for inevitable quibbling>

who could we replace geremi,viduka and smith with............ a hat stand a traffic cone and and a cabbage patch doll will only improve the squad.

he probably will if it means making a profit or keeping the books right.

I don't get what you mean.   If you reduce the operating costs you already cover the drop in income, because income is used to pay the operating costs..  Plus when you sell the player you not only reduce costs through cutting wages but you also bring money in through transfer fees (if you get a fee that is).

Now forget Owen. His wages have already been paid upfront with the Northern Rock sponsorship money, and having him off the wage bill would have already been factored into the predicted £7m loss for next season. The same goes for Viduka and probably Geremi who is also out of contract at the end of the season.

So if we are to break even we have to find £40m (after parachute payments) to break even.

He's creating an efficient business mate.

Doesn't really matter what league we are in or anything, he's just creating an efficient business. Many people on here wanted this. So they ought to be happy with it. Good old Mike, and the "plan" he had which his predecessors never had, ever.

We might get some good away trips at Blackpool, Bournemouth, Southend and Plymouth in the next few years.

He's creating an efficient business mate.

Doesn't really matter what league we are in or anything, he's just creating an efficient business. Many people on here wanted this. So they ought to be happy with it. Good old Mike, and the "plan" he had which his predecessors never had, ever.

We might get some good away trips at Blackpool, Bournemouth, Southend and Plymouth in the next few years.

not a dig but this kind of reminds me of the jokers "part of the plan" speech from the dark knight!  :lol:

just kidding

Geremi's contract still has 15 months left on it and Owen has been offered a new contract.  Also his wages haven't already been paid up front, they've always been included in our wage bill.

We'll lose £41 million of TV money from our income and £19-20 million seems a fair estimate for corporate and match day profit reductions.  The £7 million is a planned loss covered by Ashley so it doesn't come into it.  IF what I've read is correct about the new parachute payments (increase to £30 million) we'd need to cut costs/raise cash by £30 million to stay on budget for next year.  I hate to keep harping on about it but selling/releasing the players I mentioned would cut costs by that amount, and hopefully we could get a few million in transfer fee's for them as well.