Ireland Internationals

Decky

http://www.thejournal.ie/northern-ireland-football-chiefs-urged-to-drop-god-save-the-queen-288977-Nov2011/

NORTHERN IRELAND FOOTBALL chiefs and supporters have so far kept quiet on one former internatonal’s plea to drop national anthem God Save The Queen.

Former Windsor Park favourite Paul McVeigh urged the IFA to, as he sees it, encourage Catholics to play for the North by scrapping the use of the ‘English anthem’.

A spate of players born north of the border have declared for the Republic in recent years with the list including Manchester United’s Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Dan Kearns, and James McClean.

In a interview with the Belfast Telegraph, McVeigh insists that a new anthem and a move away from Linfield’s Windsor Park, is needed to improve the situation in the future.

“Northern Ireland, as long as it continues with that anthem, will not have an identity of its own and players will continue to turn to the Republic,” he is quoted as saying.

The IFA declined to comment when contacted today by TheScore while a spokesman for the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters’ Clubs says that the fans’ group have decided not to comment also.

Don't see how it would genuinely make that much difference myself, although I have no knowledge on the situation.

Was just amused at SSN running a story on it just now, and mentioning something to do with Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol has been asked to pen something? :lol: Just seems a bit of a random choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Micheal O'Neill the Shamrock Rovers manager might be in the frame for it, about to quit them (something Shamrock Rovers are in a bit of denial about despite 2 of his players confirming he's told them he's leaving after the match vs Spurs)

• 3 weeks later...
Michael O'Neill confirmed as new N Ireland manager

Page last updated at 14:15 GMT, Wednesday, 28 December 2011

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

Michael O'Neill has been appointed as the new manager of Northern Ireland.

Confirmation that terms had been agreed with O'Neill followed a Board Meeting of the Irish Football Association.

The 42-year-old, who recently resigned as Shamrock Rovers manager, will occupy the role for an initial period of two years, beginning on 1 February 2012.

He will be in charge for a friendly against Norway on 29 February, followed by games with Holland and Finland, before the World Cup qualifiers begin.

Two other candidates were interviewed for the job, former Ipswich Town and Queen's Park Rangers boss Jim Magilton and ex-Hull City, Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic manager Iain Dowie.

O'Neill won 33 caps for Northern Ireland during his playing career, scoring seven goals, and played club football for Newcastle United, Dundee United and Hibernian.

He entered management as assistant at Cowdenbeath before becoming manager of Scottish side Brechin City.

He became Shamrock Rovers manager in 2008 and guided the club to successive League of Ireland titles in 2010 and 2011.

He made history by becoming the first manager of a League of Ireland team to reach the group stages of the Europa League following a play-off victory over Partizan Belgrade.

O'Neill left the club following their final Europa League game against Tottneham Hotspur earlier this month.

"I am honoured to be chosen to manage my country," said O'Neill.

"I'm a proud Northern Irishman who was fortunate enough to win 33 senior caps and it was always an ambition to manage my country.

"To be entrusted with the role early in my managerial career is quite humbling but I am confident that we can make progress.

"Northern Ireland has a strong football tradition but one that needs to be refreshed with some more contemporary success.

"That is my primary objective - to restore a sense of belief and pride in what it means to represent Northern Ireland so that our players will want only to play for their country - that is how it should be.

"There is a huge amount of work to be done but with the right direction and the necessary passion good progress can be made.

The board and the Chief Executive have a clear plan for the future and have given me responsibility to set about the task of renewal within the context of a long-term plan.

"At the same time, in the interests of everyone involved, most particularly our supporters, my job is to work with the players to sustain a competitive performance throughout the qualifying phase of the 2014 World Cup Finals."

Northern Ireland have been drawn against Portugal, Russia, Azerbaijan, Israel and Luxembourg for the World Cup qualifiers, which begin in September.

Patrick Nelson, Chief Executive of the Irish FA, said O'Neill was "the stand out choice from an excellent field".

"The selection panel was very impressed with his thoughts and plans for football in Northern Ireland over the coming years."

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

good luck to o'neill. I never liked him at rovers tbh he got em to play negetive football a lot. And he always played that liabilty, murray.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It baffles me why England is so desperate to hang onto northern ireland in the first place.

I mean, obviously the answer has to be "money" but it still seems like more trouble than it's worth to me. Let them have a few extra hectares of potatoes and save yourself the riots, I'd say.

It baffles me why England is so desperate to hang onto northern ireland in the first place.

I mean, obviously the answer has to be "money" but it still seems like more trouble than it's worth to me. Let them have a few extra hectares of potatoes and save yourself the riots, I'd say.

What happens to the people in NI that want to be British?

I wouldn't go there mate.

He's completely right too. The anthem is one of the reasons behind catholics here not identifying with that team. No one else in the union uses God Save The Queen, so why use it here?

Its nothing more than excuse hunting. So why do they play in green then ? Surely thats insulting the proddies ?

Where does it end ? Whine about one thing, then something else, then something else.

Personally, I can't see why they can't have another anthem that doesn't offend ANYONE - thing is, someone always DOES "get offended".

I mean, obviously the answer has to be "money"

MONEY ?????????????????????????????????

You don't seem to realize just how much Northern Ireland has cost Britain.

BILLIONS and very little coming back. To say nothing about lives lost (three quarters to republican extremists remember)

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Typical internet american, or Canadian, dependant on what that CA stands for.