Barton Back

cosmic

Edgar ahead of Coloccini, absolutely unbelievable

How many goals did Edgar gift to the opposition last time out?

And Coloccini?

To be fair if we are going on form Edgar beats out S.Taylor and Coloccini. The only reason Taylor didn't give away a number of goals against Tottenham was that Beye saved his muddle-headed bacon.

Edgar in the team ahead of R.Taylor wouldn't make sense to me either. Taylor has been shite since he came, but if S.Taylor is out and Colo isnt playing then it has to be R.Taylor at right back with Beye at centre back for me. Edgar had a canny game at Stoke but there was a reason he was playing that game and that was because of the team we were up against. Beye is a better centre back than Edgar, and R.Taylor is a better player than Edgar.

Shearer basically just has to go back to last year's 4-3-3, tell everyone to do exactly what KK told them to last year, and pray.

Harper

Beye Edgar Bassong Enrique

Barton Guthrie Jonas

Owen

Martins Viduka

Taylor in for Edgar if he gets back before season's end.

What do people think of swapping Martins with Owen in that formation.  He is quicker, can run with the ball and we all know - he has a great shot in him (not that we have seen it for a while).  Owen could play of the sholder of Viduka?

Shearer basically just has to go back to last year's 4-3-3, tell everyone to do exactly what KK told them to last year, and pray.

Harper

Beye Edgar Bassong Enrique

Barton Guthrie Jonas

Owen

Martins Viduka

Taylor in for Edgar if he gets back before season's end.

What do people think of swapping Martins with Owen in that formation.  He is quicker, can run with the ball and we all know - he has a great shot in him (not that we have seen it for a while).  Owen could play of the sholder of Viduka?

Would be an absolute disaster IMO.

Much of that role is about linking the play, drifting in the gap between midfield and attack and being available to receive the ball, control it and lay it off to a teammate.

It's also a lot about reading the game, deciding when the right time is to make the run forward into the box to join the two strikers and get on the end of chances.

It's why the role is so well suited to Owen, because he's still reasonably tidy in possession and he judges and times his runs as well as anyone in the league. Playing in the hole it's harder for teams to pick him up because their CB's are kept busy by Martins and Viduka, as a striker he's much easier to deal with because he has less room to work in.

Oldtype's team is exactly what I'd want to see, as regards the midfield and strikers anyway.

A few months ago I was having visions of every Toon fan at Villa Park invading the pitch after Barton scored the goal that would keep us up. Howay Joey!

Hopefully it wont come down to the last day. With our fixtures and Hull's fixtures where it wouldnt be surprising if they don't get another point this season (certainly no more than 1 or 2 imo) we should be looking to going into the last game of the season safe even if its just by goal difference.

The only things i can see saving our season:

Owen being played behind the front men in a 4-3-3 with Martins and Viduka

Barton coming back

Guthrie being given a chance to start

Anything else has pretty much been tried and failed

Not EVERYTHING Super Nile hasn't been given his shot yet!!! :)

On a serious note I think Barton could add quality, I would start him, surely in an hour we could get more out of him than Nolan and Butt put together. Plus and hour starting would be of far better benefit than him coming on for the last 20 mins.

I'd love Barton to play in the centre from the start against Pompey but my main worry is tiredness kicking in with some of our players.

We've Barton, Viduka and Guthrie coming back from a few months out so I'm more worried about them fading away in the final 30 minutes.

Guthrie should be ok. He's got plenty of training and some match time under his belt and he's a youngster so i don't think he'll have any problems. Barton and Viduka wont last 90 minutes though. We definitely need to handle them carefully because they are vital. I'd actually look to give Viduka about 70 minutes against Portsmouth  then I'd leave him out against Liverpool where I don't think he will contribute much at all with his lack of fitness and with us needing legs all over the pitch. Couple of weeks training after Portsmouth should see him in decent condition for the Boro match barring any further injury problems.