Damien Duff Pledges future to Newcastle - BBC

Guest michaelfoster

"No disrespect to the Championship but Newcastle are too big a club to be down there."

this patronising attitude needs to stop. we're far from guaranteed to come right back up and we'll look like dicks if we keep saying this shit.

Its ok for the players. They come out with this bollocks then its us fans that get tarred with the brush of having come out with it

Guest Stephen927

Might be in the clubs best interests to try and move him on regardless if someone else will take him on his current wages. No doubt he'll mask it as wanting to stay and pledging his future to us and all the rest of it.

Guest Stephen927

You could probably get away with having one player on over £50k a week but it wouldn't do much good for team harmony if others are on less than £20k. Would only break that kind of budget for a truly special player who would light up the Championship with goals and assists.. Duff has had a couple of good games this season, I just couldn't see him being much more productive, certainly not worth paying £70k a week for in the Championship.

It's the s*** bastards who have been shown up at Premiership level who are committing themselves to us. Next in line will probably be Ameobi, followed by Smith. If it's Bassong, Martins, Guthrie, Beye or Jonas, then it'll be good news.

Duff should be alright in the Championship, but even at a 50% wage cut, £35k per week will be alot to pay him given his limitations. He's no longer a winger who'll create goals, forget that Duff from eons ago and likewise I'd not assume playing at a lower level will see him return to being a player who could tear teams apart down the flanks. He should be viewed as a tidy squad player who can fill in at left back and do a decent job on the left wing, a player who won't create much nor turn defensive situations into attacking ones (like e.g. Jonas does), but he won't lose the ball easily and he does run up and down the flank to a moderate degree. Personally don't think that's worth £35k per week, a 50% wage cut that you'd assume he'd never accept. There are probably a good number of kids playing for the CL youth/reserve teams in the UK and around Europe who are better than him, some of whom wont make the grade at these big clubs and are on a pittance compared to that wage.

Despite what everyone is saying i think Duff actually cares, he was one of only a few players who looked genuinely upset after the whistle yesterday. I'm not his biggest fan at all, but i thought in recent weeks he's really put in a decent shift especially at left back and has never hid once.

Guest Heneage

Hes staying for the money, fucker.

Source?

Common sense.

Surely its common sense that he will be fully aware he has to take a pay cut?

Says who? If it's not in his contract he can sit on that deal till June next year. People are assuming players will accept a pay cut, we saw how much they were lacking in heart this season, and Duff especially would be lucky to get half of his 70 grand a week.

Personally, I think Duff could be quite effective in the centre of midfield.

Aye, aside from the fact that he's completely unsuited to that role, there's no reason to believe he couldn't do a job there.

Well its a quick start in terms of knowing where we are with our squad come August. If Shearer has a list of current players, we can do without not knowing until the opening of the transfer window who is staying to fight and who is jumping ship.

The club will decide whether they can afford him but we need to know immediately who is staying and who isnt so DD coming out now isnt the worst thing that could happen.

He surely must be classed as quality in the Championship ??

Source?

Common sense.

Says who?

Says who?

It's the s*** bastards who have been shown up at Premiership level who are committing themselves to us. Next in line will probably be Ameobi, followed by Smith. If it's Bassong, Martins, Guthrie, Beye or Jonas, then it'll be good news.

Duff should be alright in the Championship, but even at a 50% wage cut, £35k per week will be alot to pay him given his limitations. He's no longer a winger who'll create goals, forget that Duff from eons ago and likewise I'd not assume playing at a lower level will see him return to being a player who could tear teams apart down the flanks. He should be viewed as a tidy squad player who can fill in at left back and do a decent job on the left wing, a player who won't create much nor turn defensive situations into attacking ones (like e.g. Jonas does), but he won't lose the ball easily and he does run up and down the flank to a moderate degree. Personally don't think that's worth £35k per week, a 50% wage cut that you'd assume he'd never accept. There are probably a good number of kids playing for the CL youth/reserve teams in the UK and around Europe who are better than him, some of whom wont make the grade at these big clubs and are on a pittance compared to that wage.

After Butt, Martins and Jonas are the first two I want out this club (assuming Owen's already gone like)

Despite what everyone is saying i think Duff actually cares, he was one of only a few players who looked genuinely upset after the whistle yesterday. I'm not his biggest fan at all, but i thought in recent weeks he's really put in a decent shift especially at left back and has never hid once.

That's all well and good but it doesn't change the fact he doesn't get enough crosses in or score enough goals. Even at Championship level you have to do those things. A good attitude is ok but it's not worth 70 grand a week.

Guest Heneage

Source?

Common sense.

Says who?

Says who?

I'd be amazed if he actually cared.