RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Slippery Sam

Oh, no I was just commenting on the ridiculous claim in the Sunday Sun article above that the club has a £248m loan.

I understood what you meant, and you were right. The rags plucking a figure out of the air.

Although HTL is beginning to sound a bit like NE5, I am with him on the Shepherd thing. I think that it is virtually guaranteed that Shepherd will find money to buy some decent players, something that could be seriously in doubt with other owners. Fwiw, I can't stand Shepherd.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Sounds like the total amount he has spent? Maybe he loaned himself all the money like we think he did the debt? In which case no one would ever buy it from him.

Oh, no I was just commenting on the ridiculous claim in the Sunday Sun article above that the club has a £248m loan.

Fair enough. Sorry 'bout that. I hadn't read the article, mainly because I rarely believe anything written in the rags. They'll print anything to make a sale.

I understood what you meant, and you were right. The rags plucking a figure out of the air.

Although HTL is beginning to sound a bit like NE5, I am with him on the Shepherd thing. I think that it is virtually guaranteed that Shepherd will find money to buy some decent players, something that could be seriously in doubt with other owners. Fwiw, I can't stand Shepherd.

Which is exactly my point.

Not that I know the bloke but I don't think I'd like Fred much if I did, that's just an impression 'cos he does talk some rubbish. This doesn't stop me from thinking his ambition for the club is genuine, he wants the club to do well despite the mistakes that have been made. Someone who will have a go is miles better than Ashley and his crew of amateur market traders.

So, it seems obvious to me that the safest bet right now is Fred. If the money is there it'll be made available for the manager and we really do need to get back at the first time of asking. I can't repeat that enough. It will only become more difficult if we don't do it the first time around. This is far more important than anyone's negative prejudices against Fred because he reckons Geordie women are dogs, something which even a mackem shirt-lifter knows isn't true anyway.

This won't be finished until late July at the earliest, we will start the season with no left back at all and a frighteningly disjointed squad of journeymen and youngsters, and the next regime (whoever it ends up being) will use this wasted summer as the official excuse for poor performances on the pitch - right up until the point that we turn and call for the new board to be sacked.

It's just getting predictable now.

Not that I know the bloke but I don't think I'd like Fred much if I did, that's just an impression 'cos he does talk some rubbish. This doesn't stop me from thinking his ambition for the club is genuine, he wants the club to do well despite the mistakes that have been made. Someone who will have a go is miles better than Ashley and his crew of amateur market traders.

So, it seems obvious to me that the safest bet right now is Fred. If the money is there it'll be made available for the manager and we really do need to get back at the first time of asking. I can't repeat that enough. It will only become more difficult if we don't do it the first time around. This is far more important than anyone's negative prejudices against Fred because he reckons Geordie women are dogs, something which even a mackem shirt-lifter knows isn't true anyway.

That is the least of a whole host of reasons why most fans would not want FFS back running the club and you know it.

That is the least of a whole host of reasons why most fans would not want FFS back running the club and you know it.

Ah right. It must be that regular European football thing was getting people like you all depressed...

Do you agree with me HTL that for Shepherd to be a decent option he'll have had to have learnt from his mistakes? We can't purely rely on him being willing to spend money - there's more to it that that.

In which case the debate isn't really about whether or not Shepherd will back his managers with funds but rather whether or not the same mistakes will be made again. Many simply don't believe he's capable of him learning from what went wrong before.

Do you agree with me HTL that for Shepherd to be a decent option he'll have had to have learnt from his mistakes? We can't purely rely on him being willing to spend money - there's more to it that that.

In which case the debate isn't really about whether or not Shepherd will back his managers with funds but rather whether or not the same mistakes will be made again. Many simply don't believe he's capable of him learning from what went wrong before.

What is it he has to learn, Dave? That's a serious question and don't forget nobody can predict the future.

What would you prefer? A Board that backs the manager or one that doesn't?

Guest sicko2ndbest

For me Shepherd is the 'safe' bet. When i say , 'safe' i mean capable of getting us back up and being a regular premier league club. He will make mistakes, but, with Shearer alongside him i believe his mistakes will be kept to a minimum. You've got to remember Shepherd is a fan as well, and as any NUFC fan, he idolises Shearer to the extent where i believe he will give him full control and back his judgements to the hilt.

I really see the SAS combination not only taking us back up but also taking us back to the upper echelons of the legue (top 8)

What is it he has to learn, Dave? That's a serious question and don't forget nobody can predict the future.

Well I'm not going to list out all the things I think were mistakes, but generally I mean finding a more reasonable balance regarding the finances and the way he dealt with managerial appointments. I believe your question regarding backing a manager is far too simplistic - even if Ashley had spent more money his 'system' and the way he dealt with Keegan/Kinnear/Hughton etc was catastrophic. It's not just about money spent.

Do you believe Shepherd made any mistakes? I remember you saying if Roeder was a failure then it was someone else's turn.

Well I'm not going to list out all the things I think were mistakes, but generally I mean finding a more reasonable balance regarding the finances and the way he dealt with managerial appointments. I believe your question regarding backing a manager is far too simplistic - even if Ashley had spent more money his 'system' and the way he dealt with Keegan/Kinnear/Hughton etc was catastrophic. It's not just about money spent.

Do you believe Shepherd made any mistakes? I remember you saying if Roeder was a failure then it was someone else's turn.

Howay, Roeder was the fans' choice, remember?

For me Shepherd is the 'safe' bet. When i say , 'safe' i mean capable of getting us back up and being a regular premier league club. He will make mistakes, but, with Shearer alongside him i believe his mistakes will be kept to a minimum. You've got to remember Shepherd is a fan as well, and as any NUFC fan, he idolises Shearer to the extent where i believe he will give him full control and back his judgements to the hilt.

I really see the SAS combination not only taking us back up but also taking us back to the upper echelons of the legue (top 8)

Fair enough. :thup:

As I've said a few times, I'm really not sure what to feel about the prospect of Shepherd coming back. I was wrong about Ashley but I still believe Shepherd will have had to learnt something from his time here before for him to be a good option. Will his time away have helped him to reflect on things? I'd hope so.

I think his major mistake was not being prepared to change manager after we finished 3rd. 

I don't consider it a mistake to appoint a previously successful manager who is backed to the hilt but doesn't do the business at Newcastle. That's down to the manager.

Fair enough. :thup:

As I've said a few times, I'm really not sure what to feel about the prospect of Shepherd coming back. I was wrong about Ashley but I still believe Shepherd will have had to learnt something from his time here before for him to be a good option. Will his time away have helped him to reflect on things? I'd hope so.

My biggest gripe with Shepherd was his ridiculous choice of management. With Shearer, it's pretty much decision made for him.

I've no doubt that Shepherd will not interfere with 1st team affairs. Like sicko says, he idolises Shearer like the fans do and will give him complete control over all decisions.

No matter what anybody says, it's indisputable that Shepherd backed his managers. He gave them money to spend and the opportunity to try and build something. He's very much a public figure, although he does do it just a bit too much, and he is a football man through and through - he basically ticks every box that Ashley doesn't.

Yes he was an annoying t*** at times, he seriously needs to re-evaluate his spending and negotiation policies and he needs to give his manager the public support he needs to settle a team. With Shearer at the helm, I'm relatively confident he'll try to learn from these mistakes and make a success of it.

He's the only man of the current interest whose intentions are very clear, he's very much the safe option and I think the only one we've got if we're not gonna end up like Ashley's tenture.

Part of the problem is this thing people have about making an idol of someone, it makes them almost bigger than the club and is counter-productive imo.

As well as the manager, Shearer should have gone after we finished 3rd imo. Right or wrong, I said this at the time. The team needed a nudge into another direction at that time in order to push on and seriously challenge for the title.

I'm not sure of Shearer as a manager and tbh I can't see why anyone is. If he stays I hope he proves to be fantastic, but it's a chance.

I think it's mostly hope rather than any tangible evidence. What cannot be doubted is the pull he'll have in terms of attracting players, and I liked the fact he was willing to change things in terms of formations and personnel. It didn't work of course, but I preferred it to sticking with the same shit that had got us in that position to begin with. Plus if Shepherd does come back in, there's already some knowledge of each other there.

As well as the manager, Shearer should have gone after we finished 3rd imo. Right or wrong, I said this at the time. The team needed a nudge into another direction at that time in order to push on and seriously challenge for the title.

:facepalm:

Despite scoring 22 in the league the next season, with only Henry scoring more?

:facepalm:

Despite scoring 22 in the league the next season, with only Henry scoring more?

aye, he should have left after we finished 5th imo. He started the season brilliantly but then went seriously downhill and didn't manage an away goal in the whole of 2004 with the exception of a penalty at Boro. Certainly after seeing his performances at the end of 03-04 and start of 04-05 a lot of us knew it was the end and we had to replace him

I think his major mistake was not being prepared to change manager after we finished 3rd. 

I don't consider it a mistake to appoint a previously successful manager who is backed to the hilt but doesn't do the business at Newcastle. That's down to the manager.

Yes its down to the manager to use the money he gets wisely, however its the owner/chairman's job to hire the right man to make those decisions.  Even more importantly its his job to make sure the club doesn't over-stretch itself financially and Shepherd failed badly there.  Its not a good thing to just back whatever manager he puts in charge with no regard for the effect it will have on the clubs finances.

I think it's mostly hope rather than any tangible evidence. What cannot be doubted is the pull he'll have in terms of attracting players, and I liked the fact he was willing to change things in terms of formations and personnel. It didn't work of course, but I preferred it to sticking with the same s*** that had got us in that position to begin with. Plus if Shepherd does come back in, there's already some knowledge of each other there.

There's no settling in period. He knows how it all runs, he's been there before and I doubt much has changed, he'll know the majority of the staff around the club, he knows who he wants to put in charge and such.

As soon as the takeover goes through, we can pretty much get started straight away. That's quite a plus considering how far down the line the Summer already is.

I think it's mostly hope rather than any tangible evidence. What cannot be doubted is the pull he'll have in terms of attracting players, and I liked the fact he was willing to change things in terms of formations and personnel. It didn't work of course, but I preferred it to sticking with the same s*** that had got us in that position to begin with. Plus if Shepherd does come back in, there's already some knowledge of each other there.

There's no settling in period. He knows how it all runs, he's been there before and I doubt much has changed, he'll know the majority of the staff around the club, he knows who he wants to put in charge and such.

As soon as the takeover goes through, we can pretty much get started straight away. That's quite a plus considering how far down the line the Summer already is.

Spot on.