American PEEPS: Where can I watch the WBA match in NYC?

SEMTEX

In all seriousness, I have watched us get beat in SF, LA and a couple of other places on the west coast over the past decade and like at SJP there has been no atmosphere or excitment since SBR was sacked. It is the state we're in unfortunately.

I watched us get beat by both Arsenal and Hull at the start of the season in Nevada Smiths, not much of an atmosphere

That's surprising. It's all about the match you attended I guess. Some of the ones I've been to there, it's been absolutely mental. For instance, the season opener at ManU, Nevada Smith's was packed with fans, singing nonstop. The Boro game at the end of the season, it was a weekday, and the place was still absolutely insane. But yea, generally, with a team that was so bad, the atmosphere has died down a bit-hard to get excited in a bar if you're being destroyed.

In all seriousness, I have watched us get beat in SF, LA and a couple of other places on the west coast over the past decade and like at SJP there has been no atmosphere or excitment since SBR was sacked. It is the state we're in unfortunately.

I was living in Florida at the time and took a flight up to DC to watch us play DC united at RFK, on the last tour we did to the US. We got beat 3-1 and we were totally inept, but I had a great time, some DC fans took me under their wing and took me along to their tail gate party, I sat with them in the ground, took  me to the pub all the players went in after the game and showed me a great night around the city. They made a banner for our match that was quite humourous I thought "Welcome Newcastle: Texaco Cup winners 1978".

Not really got anything to do with this thread but your post reminded me of that trip.

I live in NJ , not far from the city.

I am sure we will find somewere , Mulligans in Hoboken could be a possibilty but also I think some of the boys I met in Nevadas Smiths , said they will probs still get the majority of toon games as Newcastle games gets the place most busy . ( Toon Army NYC has about 60 members )

Guest njkman

America people,  might come to new york in the future how much would you expect to pay to see soe sort of sporting event ovr there, basketball football what ever is going?

Giants Stadium , to watch the American Football it would  cost you about $120 for a cheap ticket if your lucky enough to get one. Baseball is shite and boring by the way , wouldnt reccomend it.

If you come out to NY for the start of the 2009/10 season , you should go visit the Red Bull Arena , should be ready for start of season.

http://redbullarena.us/

Giants Stadium , to watch the American Football it would  cost you about $120 for a cheap ticket if your lucky enough to get one. Baseball is s**** and boring by the way , wouldnt reccomend it.

If you come out to NY for the start of the 2009/10 season , you should go visit the Red Bull Arena , should be ready for start of season.

http://redbullarena.us/

Depends on your style obviously, but yes generally, baseball is probably the worst option for you to go watch unless you know the rules and such well. American football, it's hard as hell to get tickets and very expensive, and it's really not worth it for a multitude of weather and technological reasons, better off just watching at a bar or on a couch like the rest of the country. If you want to watch lower quality "soccer"-probably comparable at best to CCC play on a very good day, Red Bull Arena will have MLS games starting next year, should be a nice place. Tickets shouldn't be that expensive, about 20 to 40 dollars on average. Hockey is a great live sport in Manhattan, catch a Rangers game if you can. Same arena as the Knicks in basketball. Those two sports are probably your best bet, play from October until late April. Tickets should run you on average around 40-60 dollars, though if you buy far enough in advance, you can find tickets for around 10 dollars or slightly more. Also, when buying tickets for any American sport, beware that you will almost never pay face value. There's always extra charges for "convenience fees" and other nonsense, will add on about 10 dollars to any ticket-the only way to avoid most of these charges is to walk up to the stadium and buy the tickets there, which almost no one does.

Personally, I love baseball the most, especially during playoff games when everything is so tense, but 1200 for world series tickets? That's absurd. I went to a world series game last year, cost me about $100. But I do admit that to really appreciate baseball, you have to know all the little subtleties and history, whereas something like basketball can be enjoyed much more easily.

Also, for some reason I assumed New York for everything above. Ticket prices will obviously be much cheaper in other cities.

Yeah I'm quiet partial to a bit of baseball myself, although I've been pretty much a fair weather supporter of my team the Mariners, I have to admit, last time I saw them play was 7 or 8 years ago at Dodgers stadium. I love American football well at least the Dolphins. But with just 16 regular games a season (that's only 8 at home !) they tend to charge through the roof for tickets. Mind you, they do have the consideration of taking over 3 hours to play a 60 minute game to ensure you get value for money :)

The big thing here in Canada is Ice Hockey, can't bear the game myself TBH but it's very much a religion here. Wherever you go though and whatever sport you watch this side of the Atlantic, they basically have one chant "Go <insert team nickname here> Go".

Baseball is my all time favorite live sport.  I really love sitting in the seats, getting some drinks and a hotdog.  Can't beat it.

If I were to hit up NYC during a sporting season I'd definitely have to do a Yankees or Mets game and just try and catch anything happening at Madison Square Garden at the time.

Might be worth the day trip to Boston to see the Red Sox play, especially if it's a day game.

• 1 month later...

Hi peoples.

The West Brom game is confirmed as being shown at Nevada Smiths. I will definitely be going along to see it.

Bit of a long shot, but if anyone is in the area I'd gladly have a pint or 4!

Sweet, introduce yourself if you see my sexy grill. There's a photo somewhere... http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,62837.msg1914861.html#msg1914861

I will be wearing that kit.. probably.

I am bringing 7 NUFC shirts with me. Mainly to clothe the various American girls (and dude) that will be attending with me. Still, not much room left in my bag for anything else.

I usually have transfers on Sunday for my next weeks summer camp so I will try to get to Nevada Smiths with 4 of the other toon fans who work for NYRB , but if not we may have to settle for Mulligans in Hoboken.

I usually have transfers on Sunday for my next weeks summer camp so I will try to get to Nevada Smiths with 4 of the other toon fans who work for NYRB , but if not we may have to settle for Mulligans in Hoboken.

But, but... it's Saturday!

HUGE news for US fans: http://www.epltalk.com/espn-adds-premier-league-to-soccer-line-up/9899

ESPN hasn't formally announced it yet, but the official press release is expected this weekend. Basically, they have bought the rights to 2 EPL games a week off of Setanta, the 7:45 Saturday game and the 3:00 Monday game (days without 7:45 games, they get first pick of 10:00 games). They will be shown on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes, still unclear if they will use the international feed broadcasters or their own announcing crew.

Highlights for us:

-Setanta US will almost certainly be staying afloat this year now that ESPN is buying these EPL games off of them, meaning we should get more games to watch this year. With our relative popularity in the CCC, I Wouldn't be surprised if they featured us nearly every week.

-ESPN360 is showing a ton of Newcastle games, including both this weekend's match against West Brom and next week's Reading match. If you can get it, I strongly advise you get it, I love it.

Beyond that, generally, getting the EPL in HD will be nice, especially if we can make it back up in a year. This indicates that ESPN is stepping up big time for the EPL rights in 2010-2013. As someone who gets FSC and ESPN2 automatically in my cable package, but not Setanta, this is a huge win. In any case, I look forward to watching Jozy's first match at Hull, as much as I hate Phil Brown, I hope Jozy does well and gets regular playing time.