A Sir Bobby Robson XI

Tooj

After a break discussion there with a fellow forum member. It got me thinking of all the players Bobby has actually managed over the years if we could all actually try and name our XI of the players he has had.

I need to obviously go back and look at some of the players that he has managed, but I will say my choice of strikers up front would be Romário and Ronaldo.

I do mean from their respective abilities during the time when he managed them btw.

After a break discussion there with a fellow forum member. It got me thinking of all the players Bobby has actually managed over the years if we could all actually try and name our XI of the players he has had.

I need to obviously go back and look at some of the players that he has managed, but I will say my choice of strikers up front would be Romário and Ronaldo.

I do mean from their respective abilities during the time when he managed them btw.

Bloody hell tough call.

Would you have Gazza and Figo in the same midfield ?

Just think of the selection of Strikers man. Ronaldo, Romario, Van Nistelrooy. Shearer Would only just make the bench!

Stoitchkov, Lineker, Beardsley.  :mike:

Lineker isn't quite there tbh. Beardsley I'd forgotten about  :doh: and Stoitchkov i'd put on the wing

Just think of the selection of Strikers man. Ronaldo, Romario, Van Nistelrooy. Shearer Would only just make the bench!

Stoitchkov, Lineker, Beardsley.  :mike:

Lineker isn't quite there tbh. Beardsley I'd forgotten about. Stoitchkov i'd put on the wing

Lineker not quite there? How not? The man was an absolute goal scoring machine.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Shilton

Koeman

butcher

kevin beattie

figo

bryan robson

beardsley

gascoigne

Shearer

Ronaldo

Romario

You wouldn't put him above Ronaldo, Romario, Van Nistelrooy, Beardsley or even Shearer though, surely?

I would rank him there without a doubt, yes. Plus I'm on about the players abilities during the time Robson got to work with them. So I'd have had Lineker over Shearer on that basis.

You wouldn't put him above Ronaldo, Romario, Van Nistelrooy, Beardsley or even Shearer though, surely?

I would rank him there without a doubt, yes. Plus I'm on about the players abilities during the time Robson got to work with them. So I'd have had Lineker over Shearer on that basis.

fair enough, not the rest though eh?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Given

Koeman

butcher

kevin beattie

figo

bryan robson

beardsley

gascoigne

Shearer

Ronaldo

Romario

Shilton?

Yes

fair enough, not the rest though eh?

And Van Nistelrooy too as he briefly worked with him and he wasn't at his peak then. I'd put Lineker on the bench actually, as Pedro and Stoitchkov (if not played in midfield) could both drop deep if needed but Lineker would have that extra goal scoring prowess. Or that amazing talent to be there when needed most.

Wow, good question actually.

Just off the top of my head/quick wiki-ing.

Shilton

Burley   Popescu  Butcher  Barjuan

Barnes Gascoigne Guardiola  Figo

Ronaldo  Romario

Bench:

Given

Couto

Ferrer

Stoichkov

Beardsley

Shearer

RvN

Guest Heneage

-------------------------Victor Baia

Albert Ferrer--Couto--------Miguel Nadal----Bernard

Solano---------Gazza------Guardiola--------Figo

-----------------Shearer-----Ronaldo.

Of the ones I know/remember.

Given

Butcher Popescu Blanc

Beardsley Guardiola Gazza Waddle

Shearer Ronaldo Nilis

ATTACK!

There should be a Sir Bobby 'masters'

Van Nistelrooy (with his finishing and magnificent first touch) having the ball carried for him by a Ronaldo type would without exertion destroy any defence in the world.

Didn't you once call RVN a bellend? Bit of bias rearing its ugly head here Tooj?

-------------------------Victor Baia

Albert Ferrer--Couto--------Miguel Nadal----Bernard

Solano---------Gazza------Guardiola--------Figo

-----------------Shearer-----Ronaldo.

Of the ones I know/remember.

Have you (like me) forgotten Beardsley?

Guest Heneage

I remembered him after I did it, but like I say I never saw him for England, I was sort of working off performances while under him, the defence was hard and the strikers was tough for different reasons.