The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Messi proves once again he's the second best player in the world... :lol:

Barca should close their academy.

Exactly, close the academy and continue to buy players from Argentina.

Messi comes from their academy though ;)

Yeah I was joking...

once again... :facepalm:

Apart from our scouting network, we benefit from a huge catchment area. Every kid in Catalonia (me too, but I was useless) dreams of playing for Barça.

Madrid, for example, has Atlético in the same area (and even if Real is the bigger club overall, it's much more split inside Madrid city proper).

Apart from our scouting network, we benefit from a huge catchment area. Every kid in Catalonia (me too, but I was useless) dreams of playing for Barça.

Madrid, for example, has Atlético in the same area (and even if Real is the bigger club overall, it's much more split inside Madrid city proper).

I was thinking about this (well, kind of) when I was in Barcelona in the summer; how many in Barcelona supports Espanyol?

I was thinking about this (well, kind of) when I was in Barcelona in the summer; how many in Barcelona supports Espanyol?

They have a pretty decent following actually, but it's massively dwarfed by FC Barcelona. On anecdotal evidence, I'd say one in 5-6 football fans in Barcelona is an Espanyol fan. But they are pretty much a non-entity outside the Barcelona metropolitan area.

@thespence: Dani Jarque was born in Barcelona, you won't find many Espanyol youth players born outside the city or the immediate towns. He was also born from Spanish immigrants, which is were Espanyol finds a lot of their fans.

EDIT: I got players mixed up, but Raúl Tamudo has actually the same story, lives in Santa Coloma (adjacent town to Barcelona), and born to Spanish immigrants. Also super-nice fella, I met him and played PES with him a few times.

@thespence: Dani Jarque was born in Barcelona, you won't find many Espanyol youth players born outside the city or the immediate towns. He was also born from Spanish immigrants, which is were Espanyol finds a lot of their fans.

EDIT: I got players mixed up, but Raúl Tamudo has actually the same story, lives in Santa Coloma (adjacent town to Barcelona), and born to Spanish immigrants. Also super-nice fella, I met him and played PES with him a few times.

When people were banging on about the Wigan manager when he was at Swansea I was saying he is one trick pony as far knowledge goes as every player he seemed sign was either from Catalonia or had played there.

All decent players from the Spanish third flight, it's very easy to get those on a free, so I guess it was great business for Swansea. Can't believe Jordi Gómez starts week in week out in a Premier League side though.

They lad Angel Rangel who they signed Terrassa looks a good un. What level are Terrassa & where Catalonia are they based?

All decent players from the Spanish third flight, it's very easy to get those on a free, so I guess it was great business for Swansea. Can't believe Jordi Gómez starts week in week out in a Premier League side though.

They lad Angel Rangel who they signed Terrassa looks a good un. What level are Terrassa & where Catalonia are they based?

Terrassa are Spanish Segunda B (third flight), the town of Terrassa is 30 km north of Barcelona, Xavi's birthplace  :snod:

sporting-wise, though, they are famous for field-hockey. An absurd amount of players of the Spanish field hockey team (several times world/olympic medalist) comes from Terrassa.