The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

i'd even say thierry henry at his arsenal peak was more complete than drogba is now - more clinical finisher, far more creative, better first touch and wider range of skill and vision. drogba has a lot in his locker but his first touch and finishing are still awful at times. for me if youve got those weaknesses then you're not complete - drogba is lucky he is so powerful as it compensates for those aspects of his game. i also reckon anelka is a more 'rounded' player in that he is good at just about everything and has no glaring weaknesses, but he's not on the level of drogba because he's not really exceptional at anything, unlike drogba.

Henry was/is s*** in the air though. Drogba's more complete for me as he can play the targetman as well as being your standard, pacy forward. Henry plays the latter role better, but for my money Didier covers more bases with his game.

So did Aaron Hughes, so does Jermain Jenas. At their best half decent at everything. Drogba's the same but at obviously a much higher level. The point being that it means fuck all unless you can either use every single one of them effectively at the top or have other attributes that are at the very pinnacle and mean your weaknesses are never exposed. Fat Ronaldo is still the most complete, and the best striker Ive ever seen, he wasn't all that in the air, but he had the most attributes that were at the very pinnacle, and by quite some distance.

Ronaldo scored plenty with his head for someone supposedly shit in the air.

Guest firetotheworks

I'll just summarise and then leave it at this.

Drobga doesn't have any real weakness, Ive just seen other players with the same amount of attributes or more who were better.

The term "complete forward" is subjective. Drogba isn't someone who'll dribble past players with the ball, or carry the ball from e.g. the half way line beating several players to then score (like Henry used to do for Arsenal). He's not fast/mobile/skillful enough to do that on the ball. So the definition of "complete forward" that imo Ronaldo is using is within the context of a target man who is also decent to good at other things (e.g. free kicks).

Similarly for Shearer, there were some things he couldn't do, and being able to blast the ball into the net from 25 yards out into the top corner doesn't negate that. For example, Shearer wasn't capable of turning defenders on a sixpence like e.g. Ronaldo, or Romario, could. Not that type of striker.

The only truly complete attacking player in the past two decades imo is Zidane. He had absolutely everything in his game, dribbling, vision, passing, heading, strength, pace (when he got going), control, finishing, volleying, trickery, simple passing, pinpoint passing, holding the ball up, two footed, big game player, small game player, consistent, reliable, fit, positional sense, tactical sense, etc etc.

The term "complete forward" is subjective. Drogba isn't someone who'll dribble past players with the ball, or carry the ball from e.g. the half way line beating several players to then score (like Henry used to do for Arsenal). He's not fast/mobile/skillful enough to do that on the ball. So the definition of "complete forward" that imo Ronaldo is using is within the context of a target man who is also decent to good at other things (e.g. free kicks).

Similarly for Shearer, there were some things he couldn't do, and being able to blast the ball into the net from 25 yards out into the top corner doesn't negate that. For example, Shearer wasn't capable of turning defenders on a sixpence like e.g. Ronaldo, or Romario, could. Not that type of striker.

The only truly complete attacking player in the past two decades I can think of is Zidane. He had absolutely everything in his game, dribbling, vision, passing, heading, strength, pace (when he got going), control, finishing, volleying, trickery, simple passing, pinpoint passing, holding the ball up, two footed, big game player, small game player, consistent, reliable, fit, etc etc.

Superbly summed up Tmonkey, nice one.

Eh? Drogba is a great lone striker. The whole argument is daft: he's probably one of the top 3 forwards in the world at the minute.

he's very good, but i wouldnt say great. but it is a waste considering how much better he is otherwise. he's great alongside another striker rather than by himself, ive said that for years even when people slagged him off and now he's proving it being in the form of his life.

btw i'd say he's definitely the best in the world right now.

This argument is ludicrous.

It is, Martins is obviously the most complete striker ever. Two footed, fast as fuck, strong, good in the air, scores from distance or tap ins.

Or Shola for that matter. Rarely has their been a top striker who's looked so nonchalant on the pitch. Strolls thorough matches and makes scoring look almost accidental with the casual manner he dispatches goals.