Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14650167.stm

Looks so unhappy in this interview it's untrue.

:sadnod:

It's pretty much clear as day that he really doesn't want to be there.

Could have stayed where he was adored for another year, proved to the top clubs that last year wasn't a one-off in terms of fitness, form, discipline, etc. and at least got a move to a mid-table club.

And then got injured and end up out of a job. Good plan ;)

Could have stayed where he was adored for another year, proved to the top clubs that last year wasn't a one-off in terms of fitness, form, discipline, etc. and at least got a move to a mid-table club.

Definitely. I'm disappointed in him in this aspect.

Or he could have taken the 3-years we offered him then in the first place.

Do players get compensation and that if they suffer a big injury in those circumstances? I might have just made that up, not sure.

As I've said before, everyone makes mistakes.

If he really was offered 3 years on decent wages he'll be close to shooting himself in his great-haircut-head now.

Do players get compensation and that if they suffer a big injury in those circumstances? I might have just made that up, not sure.

Don't think so.

Just ask Hargreaves. If he ends up without a contract, he'll be some kind of Canadian TV expert, probably.

Yeah, not sure how it's worked out but I had personal injury insurance so I am pretty sure these players will have something :lol:

I doubt he was even offered that length of contract tbh.

The least they could have done is negotiate. We've shown in the Charlton saga that we aren't the best to deal with.

The crux of it for me is quite simply this:

Over the last season or two, for me our top performers have been Coloccini, Carroll, Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Tiote.

And now two of the six remain :undecided:

It's certainly a big gamble on Cabaye, Ba and Pieters.

I don't think we will replace Barton tbh.

Could go either way.

Whilst there is evidence pointing to the fact that Barton would do well this year, there's no guarantee.  Same with Nolan. 

If he really was offered 3 years on decent wages he'll be close to shooting himself in his great-haircut-head now.

Which might explain why he's so gutted at this. I'd shoot McKay if I was him.

I doubt he was even offered that length of contract tbh.

The least they could have done is negotiate. We've shown in the Charlton saga that we aren't the best to deal with.

Think the same. He wouldn't have turned it down in January if the length would have been ok.

After all, we found out that Owen was offered a 1 year extension only as well by Llambias the time KK was in charge. No wonder he didn't take it.

Which might explain why he's so gutted at this. I'd shoot McKay if I was him.

Obviously could be the case. But as I've said before today, we'll probably never find out the truth on that one. We'll probably never know what contract he's been offered in January.

After all, he's only been a NUFC player and the show must (and will) go on.

Not really sure about the continued references to his first couple of years here. Yes they were s***, but that's way in the past. Last season he was one of our best players, and was actually voted the best in the Chronicle's unofficial player of the year award. He made a decent start to this season too. That's what we're losing, not the Barton from two/three years ago.

But using your same line of thought, couldn't one argue that that was last season, i.e. in a virtually different team with different players, and hence there are no guarantees that Barton would be as good this season and beyond?

Not really sure about the continued references to his first couple of years here. Yes they were s***, but that's way in the past. Last season he was one of our best players, and was actually voted the best in the Chronicle's unofficial player of the year award. He made a decent start to this season too. That's what we're losing, not the Barton from two/three years ago.

But using your same line of thought, couldn't one argue that that was last season, i.e. in a virtually different team with different players, and hence there are no guarantees that Barton would be as good this season and beyond?

Is there a guarantee about any player in this world?

Aye, he'd done nowt for 3 years, there's no guarantee whatsoever that he could keep up last season's form, and in particular on the sort of contract he seemingly wanted.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The BBC interview is a great candid interview

Love the last question

BBC 'A Football club needs a director'

JB 'Without the artists on the pitch the director is nothing'

or similar words to that effect

Over the last season or two, for me our top performers have been Coloccini, Carroll, Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Tiote.

This

It depends on the replacements surely? In a short space of time Man Utd lost Ronaldo, Tevez & Pique. As long as they're replaced correctly then we should be fine. I'm happy with Cabaye for Nolan, Marveaux for Barton, Enrique's replacement seems like it's going to be better than the likes of Bridge & Shorey which a lot of people were fearing, leaving the centre-forward position to be sorted.

Guest bimpy474

This

It depends on the replacements surely? In a short space of time Man Utd lost Ronaldo, Tevez & Pique. As long as they're replaced correctly then we should be fine. I'm happy with Cabaye for Nolan, Marveaux for Barton, Enrique's replacement seems like it's going to be better than the likes of Bridge & Shorey which a lot of people were fearing, leaving the centre-forward position to be sorted.

This

Cabaye for Nolan in terms of quality is good, in terms of goals the jury is still out. We haven't replaced Carroll, Barton or Enrique yet.

Pieters there is still question over until he actually signs and plays for us, Marveaux isn't a right winger (neither is Obertan) so isn't really Barton's replacement and we are still short of a striker.

Big big five days to come.

This

This

Now that's a question!

Cabaye for Nolan in terms of quality is good, in terms of goals the jury is still out. We haven't replaced Carroll, Barton or Enrique yet.

Pieters there is still question over until he actually signs and plays for us, Marveaux isn't a right winger (neither is Obertan) so isn't really Barton's replacement and we are still short of a striker.

Big big five days to come.

What would convince you that Carroll had been replaced?  Striker with similar goal record? striker with PL experience?  big striker who is good in the air?

Aye, he'd done nowt for 3 years, there's no guarantee whatsoever that he could keep up last season's form, and in particular on the sort of contract he seemingly wanted.

What's the sort of "contract he seemingly wanted" got to do with whether or not he would achieve last season's form this season? He started off fairly well, and I would say that more often than not players in the final year of their contract step it up a notch to secure their future rather than lowering their level.