So it seems Barclays are to blame

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

For the firesale at NUFC.  We are on target to get straight back up at the first attempt, but if we want rid of Ashley, we have to sell all our best players in order for Barclays to extend the overdraft facility to Barry Moat.  It seems to me that we have a couple of options.

A: sell Taylor, Jonas, Enrique Collocini etc in order to reduce overdraft and replace them with CCC hacks who will scupper our promotion chances but we willget a new owner, or

B: stick with Ashley, keep these players if possible and get back up into the EPL

Of course if we stick with Ashley he will proabaly sell them anyway on the last day of the transfer window!

stick with ashley and we'll lose the whole of the january window as he haggles over the sale of the club and plays a game of brinkmanship with potential buyers, during which time he will undoubtedly sell yet more players. we have to get him out at all costs and try and rebuild the mess in January.

at least if a new owner comes in now they will have the whole of January to do transfer business and then our threadbare squad only has to survive until then. that would be making the best of a very precarious situation. if ashley stays then the whole summer has been wasted and the winter window will be too as he tries yet again to find a buyer.

the club is in limbo and the sooner we are out of this state of limbo the sooner we can rebuild.

Guest neesy111

Barclays are not to blame, most of the debt at the club still come's from the previous regime

barclays are in the right mind to refuse imo, because if they don't believe they can make some money from the deal then why should they

I, like the majority, want Ashley to go ASAP.

But, does Moat have the means to support the Club if he has to beg steal and borrow from Barclays to complete a takeover? If we do have to sell three more players to complete a takeover then I would think the takeover is not worth going through with as our chance of this being a one season exile will dimish now with every player that leaves.

Surely it makes sense to not buy the club outright in one go leaving him with cash to fund transfers instead. So basically a loan to buy the club for £100m and still needs the overdraft costing the club £4m a year ish in interest payments, this then means he hasn't lost that money and can use whatever money he has and the club brings in to fund players. Basically the Man U model for owning a club. I'm happy with this.

Guest Roger Kint

Even if Moat does get Barclays approval its only a matter of time before people complain he cant afford to buy our way into the top 6 of the Premier League. Can see a fair few years before this club is running properly again(if ever was) and staying up if/when we get there will be very tough.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Even if Moat does get Barclays approval its only a matter of time before people complain he cant afford to buy our way into the top 6 of the Premier League. Can see a fair few years before this club is running properly again(if ever was) and staying up if/when we get there will be very tough.

2 years ago you'd be right

In our current situation an owner that gives a fuck is a start

Guess it's then a case of how much of the loan has he paid off and can he get new investment. Theres a fair few ways he can get investment including putting the club back on the stockmarket or making it pensionable like the other group had said they were going to do.

Guest Roger Kint

In our current situation an owner that gives a f*** is a start

Just read the takeover thread before posting that. Its already upon us tbf

Guest sicko2ndbest

?

But, does Moat have the means to support the Club if he has to beg steal and borrow from Barclays to complete a takeover? If we do have to sell three more players to complete a takeover then I would think the takeover is not worth going through with as our chance of this being a one season exile will dimish now with every player that leaves.

Agree with this.

I must admit, I find it strange that Ashley is willing to sell. If we get promoted (it's early days yet) he would be much more likely to be able to get more money for the club. Also the world wide financial system is supposedly getting better so I imagine money would be easier to come by in 6 to 12 months. You'd think Ashley would want to sit tight and see how things look in January. If he does sell to Moat I could see Moat selling the club for a profit in a year.

Guest Roger Kint

?

Top of the last page about Moat steadying us/no rich arab bollox

He's not begging borrowing and stealing from Barclays. We have an overdraft with them. They don't allow £40m overdrafts in the championship normally and so want to cut it by £20m to £20m. Moat is coming up with a business plan and show of funds to prove we can cope with the £40m overdraft and carry on as normal.

He won't pay for the club outright as that's waste his money that could instead pay for players so instead he gets a loan for the full amount and just pays for the interest.

Good points, tricky situation this.

Barclays boycoutt it is then.

Is it worth boycitting Barclays?

It'd have to be properly organised to make it worthwhile, rather than personal protest.

I've got a barclays account and i'm not going to cancel it unless there's a widespread boycott.

It'd have to be properly organised to make it worthwhile, rather than personal protest.

I've got a barclays account and i'm not going to cancel it unless there's a widespread boycott.

I'd cancel it but then I'd have to faf on when I renew my mortgage.

I suppose it boils down to who we could conceivably bring in for little or no cost within a week to replace the players who left. Campbell to replace Coloccini would have been ideal, for example. I'd hope that Shearer (or whoever) has a couple lined up in case it goes through as well.

Don't forget that despite our current state of limbo, we're still a massive club with huge pull and sat joint top of the league. If the takeover happens the feel-good factor will return and with someone like Shearer immediately on board we could still do this.

:lol:

Its a nightmare changing banks mind.

If Moat puts his faith in Shearer then he has to get it right basically. I assume Shearer will come with a fairly ambitious transfer budget which is fine, but then it's promotion or bust I would think. Moat will have to have the funds to factor in failure in the short term at least.