The end of diving? No.

Guest icemanblue

Don't agree with that at all babatunde, maybe it is slightly out of proportion with other punishments, but maybe it is the start of a (well overdue) backlash against cheating.

Managers and clubs need to start stopping their own players from diving, and punishing them when they do so. That would be a major step forward.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ???

Very true BUT hell would freeze before managers tell the players off for diving

What needs to happen is for the authorities to clamp down on it so the players wont think about diving - i mean do you think we will see Eduardo diving any time soon?

This is good providing it is the start of something - hopefully Eduardo isnt an exception and serial divers like Gerrard, Drogba etc also get suspensions the next time they fall to the ground

Agree

I'd like to think that Wenger would be telling Eduardo off in private, that would be something I suppose.

I still think that managers need to start saying publicly that they don't want their players to dive. It's in nobodys interests, they must concede a couple of dodgy penalties for every one that they win.

If they would 'lose the morale of the dressing room' by criticising divers, then the dressing room is full of the wrong type of player anyway.

This is good providing it is the start of something - hopefully Eduardo isnt an exception and serial divers like Gerrard, Drogba etc also get suspensions the next time they fall to the ground

Agree

It's good regardless imo. Even better if it starts something though.

What he's doing is protecting his player from this ridiculous situation that has been created solely by the SFA's reaction (an insignificant association in the large scale of football tbh) and a weak UEFA. He would rather one of his better players be available for him to use. If everyone was going around commiting murder, getting caught and getting cautioned (yellow carded), then I was caught and given twenty years, I'd be slightly aggrieved. It really is unfair.

Conning a referee into giving a penalty could be considered as a different offence to failing to con a referee into giving a penalty.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Given that the decision has been widely criticised by everyone (including Celtic), I can't see how anyone can argue this is good, and CLEARLY consistency will not be adhered to.

Given that the decision has been widely criticised by everyone (including Celtic), I can't see how anyone can argue this is good, and CLEARLY consistency will not be adhered to.

I argue it's good because I want divers to be punished and diving driven out of the game. Yes, I hope it is applied to everyone.

Even if it's not consistently applied it at least it makes Eduardo look like a twat.

Was just wondering if, since in the past, if a referee has made a decision on say a shocking tackle and only given a yellow, the powers that be couldn't do anything about changing it to a red as it would be undermining the referee's decision, this will change after a referee had made a decision on a shocking dive, but changed the outcome in effect by punishing that player?

Even if it's not consistently applied it at least it makes Eduardo look like a twat.

:thup:

Nice to see Slavan Bilic defending Eduardo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8245629.stm

He's great as a player, great as a person, great as a father.

I can say that because I've known him since he was 17 - so I know. It can only motivate you more. He knows that he is 100%, horizontally, vertically, diagonally, 100% honest.

:rolleyes:  :kasper:

Out of interest how to you distinguish between when a player jumps out the way to avoid getting his leg broke (particularly when the defender then pulls his foot out of the challenge) and a dive to con the referee? I know in some cases its obvious but there's a big grey area and I can't see any objective way of applying these rules

Out of interest how to you distinguish between when a player jumps out the way to avoid getting his leg broke (particularly when the defender then pulls his foot out of the challenge) and a dive to con the referee? I know in some cases its obvious but there's a big grey area and I can't see any objective way of applying these rules

It'll depend who the player plays for. :nods:

It's a problem. And I seen refs give yellow cards for diving in incidents like this. But a start would be for the ref to only give a penalty if he's 100% sure which I would say would reduce the number of pens by about half, tbh.

It's a problem. And I seen refs give yellow cards for diving in incidents like this. But a start would be for the ref to only give a penalty if he's 100% sure which I would say would reduce the number of pens by about half, tbh.

Yup. They're reluctant to book divers when they're not certain, don't know why this seemingly doesn't apply to penalties.

Well no rule applied by a human referee will ever be perfect, it's up to the ref to decide on what he sees.

If we're talking about reviewing games on video and banning people later (which I would like to see), then I think it's pretty clear when someone's dived. If it's not clear then no action need be taken.