Would You Invest Your Pension Fund In NUFC?

Crumpy Gunt

Guest kirkpatrick9

Pension funds are notorious for bad management.

Scenario, imagine if in the future, over night football changed, sky had beat its competitors, which meant less money from TV, no champions league etc, all clubs have to tighten their belts.

NUFC would now have a black hole. Fans would want their pensions. And instead of having fans wanting to encourage us to punch our weight in the transfer market (e.g. we can see we have a big fan base, we know our weight.) For the first time in history of football you'd have a massive section of fans of a football club wanting to seriously tighten our belts instead of having ambition, whilst other clubs would not have this scenario. We'd be fighting with one hand tied behind our backs.

My concern would be that in the current climate there's no such thing as a definite return on anything.  I'm not even too sure I trust Prudential to invest my pension stuff without things going horribly wrong, so they'd have to do a lot to convince me it'd be in good hands.

There-in lies 99% of the reason it will in all likelyhood fail miserably.

And why Graham Roberts & the NUSC won't be taken seriously in my eyes. If they can't see that that's a truly pathetic and ridiculous idea of trying to run a club, then that's worrying.

People wonder why people oppose this group as well.

My concern would be that in the current climate there's no such thing as a definite return on anything.  I'm not even too sure I trust Prudential to invest my pension stuff without things going horribly wrong, so they'd have to do a lot to convince me it'd be in good hands.

There-in lies 99% of the reason it will in all likelyhood fail miserably.

And why Graham Roberts & the NUSC won't be taken seriously in my eyes. If they can't see that that's a truly pathetic and ridiculous idea of trying to run a club, then that's worrying.

People wonder why people oppose this group as well.

And to answer Dave as well, up to last Saturday they had not even given anything like the info available today to NUSC or anyone else as Llambias wouldn't speak to them.  So, I' wouldn't bank on Roberts claim that NUSC are in agreement with them with a pinch of salt at this moment in time.

The Supporters' Trust is on board, they think it's a wonderful idea, I've got 2,500 members who are all going to join up to this, one fella phoned us on Friday night and gave us a £1 million donation.

Bollocks. He doesnt speak for the Trust, yes on paper we see it as a canny idea and are making enquiries as to the members views on it but thats it, he doesnt speak for the trust, he sure as fuck doesnt speak for me and theres no way on this earth he speaks for our members.

Thought as much.

I've put up my retirement fund to help leverage a deal myself.  Although it's not quite enough to get it done by myself, the amount is enough to have opened some doors for futher conversations with Moat and Sheard.  Roberts also got wind of my name and we have talked numerous times on the matter.  Where as Moat is sincere (if a bit over his head) and Sheard seems to be scheming (he said if I couldn't be in the the mix for the club perhaps I'd be interested in some other "investments"), Roberts sounds as if he's gone round the twist.

Roberts keeps trying to get me in contact with a "Mr. Mugabe".  Roberts said that Mugabe approached him via email.  Mugabe claims to have been a Nigerian international, having played midfield in the recent past.  Although I have not found anything to confirm this, Roberts insists that he vaguely remembers him.  Furthermore. Roberts claims to have swapped banking information although both the routing number and account number that Mugabe supplied doesn't quite check out.  Mugabe insists that the money is there but a pending lawsuit has led to the funds being frozen.  Mugabe supposedly is in the procees of getting this "minor detail" sorted out.  Roberts trusts Mugabe implicitly as, "Mugabe's a fine lad and is quite keen on English football in general and Newcastle in particular."

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

The e-mail from NUSC this morning:

Dear Member

You may have recently read or heard about an interesting idea to achieve the aim of fan ownership of our club. It may have sounded incredible and as Derek Llambias said, it may be a dream for fans to own the club, but what does Derek know about dreams or football for that matter.

As a Trust we have held initial discussions with a group called Fanbase 410 who have come up with an idea that will allow fans like you and me to own a stake in our club. We like the idea but want to talk with you, our members and supporters about how feasible you think this may be.

We have included a survey below for you to complete and your answers will form the basis of how the Trust continues to discuss realistic proposals that will put the fans in the Boardroom as equal partners.

You can find out more about the product by visiting www.fanbase410.com and register your interest and you can return your survey answers to this email address.

We believe that the time is now right for fans to make their voices heard, listen to the idea and make a decision; the club is at a crossroads; we want to influence the route the club takes for the future. We are the constant at this club, owners come and go but our voice should be heard and we think this idea may work for Newcastle if the supporters want it. 

Fanbase have done something that no other bidders and many of our owners have failed to do. They have approached us and asked us our opinion; its a novel idea but maybe other bidders should take a leaf from their books.

Your opinions will guide the Trust in future discussions but maybe this is the time? The time for supporters to dream and succeed and wouldn't that prove Derek Llambias wrong again?

Yours

Neil Mitchell

Interim Chair of Your Trust.

SURVEY - Please answer at the end

Market Testing for Fans In and SIPP product

Q1. How important do you think it is for the fans to have a say at Newcastle?

a) Very important

b) Important

c) Not very important

d) Do not know/Have a view

Q2. What role would you say the fans have within the club?

a) As supporters through an organised body such as the Trust

b) As supporters as shareholders

c) As supporters as individuals

d) Other

Q3. Do you think fans should or could invest in the club or should the club be owned by a single individual as before?

a) Yes they should invest

b) Yes they could invest

c) No it should be owned by an individual

Q4. As a member of the Trust, would you be interested in investing in the club separately to your membership?

a) Yes

b) No

Q5. Who would you trust to negotiate the investment in the Club if it meant purchasing your stake through a financial product?

a) An Independent Financial Advisor

b) A city based institution

c) The Trust

d) Yourself

The Market and Product Risk

Q6. Have you heard of a Self Invested Pension Plan?

a) Yes

b) No

Q7. Are you aware of your current pension arrangements and the performance of your pension?

a) Yes

b) No

Q8. If you could release a portion of your pension to invest in Newcastle United, what would you be most worried about?

a) Too Risky

b) Do not know enough about the product

c) Do not want to invest

d) Who would control your partial pension

Q9. If you knew more about the product and its benefits to Newcastle United and as an investment for you and your family, how likely would you be to consider investing?

a) Very likely

b) Likely

c) Not very likely

d) Not interested

Q10. If it could be demonstrated that this product could benefit you and Newcastle United, how likely would you be to invest?

a) Very likely

b) Likely

c) Interested but sceptical

d) Not Interested

Self Investment Pension Plan

Q11. The plan would give you a stake in the club through the Trust, a return yearly, could be removed by yourself at any time and you would administer it through the Trust as a member. Would this be attractive to you?

a) Yes

b) No

c) Do not know

Q12. Market research has shown that 4,000 fans investing £25,000 of their pension (if you are 45 this will be the equivalent to less than 40% of your total pension) would raise a quarter stake in Newcastle United at its current market value. The total value of the supporter stake in the club would be £100m. Is the investment too high?

a) Too high

b) About right

c) Too low

d) Not interested

Q13. Would you like to know more about this product?

a) Yes

b) No

Q14. Who would you trust to advise you on this product and investment?

a) Your independent Financial Advisor

b) An independent Financial Advisor appointed by the Trust

c) A city based institution

d) I would prefer to obtain my own advice

Q15. What sort of Pension Plan(s) do you have?

a) A private pension

b) A local government pension

c) Other

Q16. Would you be prepared to invest any of the following in the SIPP?

a) Personal Savings

b) Property as equity

c) Other

Anyone who was willing to do this would either be very brave or insane.

I bet the players would be scared shitless if the fans actually owned the club. They certainly wouldn't be seen out getting drunk in town. Look how the crowd treat players they don't like now, now imagine them with their Pension riding on the team performing!

Q16. Would you be prepared to invest any of the following in the SIPP?

a) Personal Savings

b) Property as equity

c) Other

Fuck me, they're seriously suggesting that people should use their life-savings and mortgage their houses to pay for them and this nutter to buy NUFC!?!

NUSC: Looking out for the best interests of NUFC fans. :lol:

Fucking morons.